Multiboot WinXP 64-Bits & 2003 Server SP1

*** UPDATE - 18 OCTOBER 2005 ***

A solution has been posted here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=58410

Hello all,

I've been reading around and I found that most people are having difficulty to modify setupldr.bin in order to multibooot:

1- Windows 2003 Server SP1 (and 64-Bits Editions)

2- Windows XP 64-Bits Edition

3- Windows PE 2005

So I decided to start this thread in order to solve theses problems, all together we are better than alone.

Windows 2003 Server SP1 (french edition)

1- the new setupldr.bin (SP1) has 5 occurence of i386 and 2 occurence of I386 (the older one only had a total of 4 occurence)

2- Attempting to edit the new setupldr.bin will render it useless. You'll get a NTDLR corrupt message right at the beginning of the installation.

3- I beleive there is some kind of checksum built in the new setupldr.bin preventing any modifications or maybe the new 64bit code added is interfering... I don't know :huh:

WORKAROUND

Fortunatly, it is possible to use the older setupldr.bin from the original Win2003 Server to work with SP1. I did a test under simulation and everything went fine.

** UPDATE ** for now, you can replace i386 with i683 or 83i6, they don't corrupt the file - The credit goes to TheTruth :thumbup

Windows XP 64-Bits Edition

No observation for now... I can't extract the boot folder and I can't go under simulation

WORKAROUND

From my reading, It doesn't seems to work using a Windows 32-Bits setupldr.bin so we'll have to dig this one...

The future of MultiBooting is at stake my friend!

DOWNLOAD

Here you can grab a copy to work on

SETUPLDR.BIN from Windows 2003 Server Standard English

SETUPLDR.BIN from Windows XP x64-Bits Edition English

SETUPLDR.BIN from WinPE 2005 English

Edited by Incroyable HULK

Just spent abotu 2 hours trying to get it to work with multiple combinations of changing the I386. The REALLY interesting thing though...deleteing NTLDR from teh disc does NOTHING. lol.

Now if only I have a disassembler...(these aren't 32bit executables so no PE program will work)

that is interesting, id like to help out but i havnt tested my version of 64 as of yet but i soon will ,, but then again im not very pleased with the drivers yet,

but as for a dissasembler ill look for one also for you :)

• 2 weeks later...

as it's my first post here: Hi everyone, :hello: this site seems to be great :thumbup

@topic: I tried to install 2K3 SP1 with the old setupldr unattended, works this far, but after booting up, windows claims a driver/service couldn't be started (someone reported this behaviour already with the rc1, but didn't find a solution either..).Furthermore in System the autoupdate and remote-tab are missing.

While installing in normal (attended) mode with the old setupldr these failures don't occure, but at the Gui-setup he asks for the installpath several times (once for notepad.exe, once for iexplore.exe which is missing in unattend version either).

At the moment I'm trying to take a 2K3 without SP1 and add the service pack by svcpack.inf. Non elegant, but could be working :).

hm, I just got another idea... Couldn't we just leave the name of the boot foder i386? This way we needn't to edit the setupldr.bin... only the txtsetup.sif...

btw., if you don't understand my (horrible) english, please ask.. better to write everything twice if it helps the subject :)

Edited by braunchen210

At the moment I'm trying to take a 2K3 without SP1 and add the service pack by svcpack.inf. Non elegant, but could be working :)

This can be a workaround but in the long term, we need to find out how to modify setupldr.bin... otherwise multi-booting is dead :}

hm, I just got another idea... Couldn't we just leave the name of the boot foder i386? This way we needn't to edit the setupldr.bin... only the txtsetup.sif...

How do you plan to add another Microsoft Product while keeping this folder? This solution is only good for 1 product per media (CD/DVD)

Edited by Incroyable HULK

I just got my hand on WinPE 2005 so I added the setupldr.bin in the download area of the first post...

Afterall, I wonder if this is exactly the same file for all 3 products. They all have 291KB... does somebody have a tool for comparison?

ok, I tried to change the i386 to a386 whereas I always took capital letters where they were in the original file too. After remembering to change the folders name and the bootsectors link too, it worked!

Before they were named 3ENU and 3ENT (didn't work...)

Edited by braunchen210

ok, I tried to change the i386 to a386 whereas I always took capital letters where they were in the original file too. After remembering to change the folders name and the bootsectors link too, it worked!

Before they were named 3ENU and 3ENT (didn't work...)

What do you mean it worked? Did you sucessfully modified the setupldr.bin of Win2003 Server SP1 ??? :huh:

Oui ^^

Leave the 386 and only replace the letter, respecting its form (capital, minor) then it works :)

formidable, pas?

I'm trying it with the full setup now (did it without the txtsetup modification for testing..). I'll tell you if it worked :)

Edited by braunchen210

You must be jooking, Alanoll wasn't able to do anything!

Could you describe the EXACT step you did

Just spent abotu 2 hours trying to get it to work with multiple combinations of changing the I386. The REALLY interesting thing though...deleteing NTLDR from teh disc does NOTHING. lol.

Now if only I have a disassembler...(these aren't 32bit executables so no PE program will work)