Multiboot WinXP 64-Bits & 2003 Server SP1

well, there arent that many other 64-Bit OSes available right now. by the time they do get here, i am sure an even better way will be devised as far as multibooting goes. I thought i read somewhere that I386 can be changed to I368 (and other like combinations) without causing a checksum problem in the setupldr.bin file.

It was a step in the right direction and thats all many people were looking for. Why dont you post a better solution?

Edited by amd64lover

@amd64lover

The different files you posted are the pagefile and the system registry, so setupldr.bin from windows 2003 32bit non SP1 works just fine for copying the files to disk. Where seems to be the problem is the partition, the boot record, or the master boot record. I wonder if "fdisk /mbr" from win98 boot disk or "fixmbr", "fixboot" from recovery console could fix the error.

@anyone having 64bit processor

Please try to download the iso file I have uploaded (it's 6.5 MB) and test if we can use setupldr.bin from windows 2003 32bit non SP1. I made it so that anyone can easily try if it works.

http://rapidshare.de/files/6338464/Windows...t_.iso.rar.html

readme.txt:

Using UltraISO or any other similar program:

insert your entire cd of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition to SETUP\XP_PRO_X64

or/and

insert your entire cd of Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition to SETUP\2003_ENT_X64

save it and test if either of them can install successfully under vmware 5.5 or real pc.

Please let us know if it worked.

It was a step in the right direction and thats all many people were looking for. Why dont you post a better solution?

Seems someone is getting alittle testy there...

I had known about your "way" for awhile, and I believe someone has even posted on it, and I responded the same way, it's not a true multiboot.

Let's see, I can think of atleast two different version of a x64 OS i'd like on a CD. 2003 and XP. Add to that three seperate loaders for each with different WINNT.SIF files, and I come about at 6 possibilities. Then I go and try to add 2003 32bit SP1 to the disc, again with MAYBE 3 variations (Enterprise, Web, and Server) and then tack onto that another 3 WINNT.SIF variations and we're at 15 OS's in total. Now you're saying, there's no way that will fit on a disc, but wait....that's only MAYBE 1.5-2 gigs of unique files, leaving plenty of room for more.

Now do you see why I said it's not a true multiboot?

I have Win2003 SP1 working just fine reconstructed on my own using the files I posted earlier (though their 32bit counterparts since I posted the 64 bit). I would assume the same methodoloy would work for the those as well. Simply replace the EN6R with your folder name, and EN64R with it's equivalent, and edit the path entry. Now you're saying...but how do I know what files need to be in the directories and where? Oh I don't know, maybe because I posted the directory listings as WELL as an example directories for both with the required files.

Have you tried going that route? I don't believe you have, unless I've missed something, since everytime I tried to point you back to my post, you seemed to have disregarded my response and thus arrived at your current conclusion.

And no, this is not flaming, but just illustrating my point. If you have tried the above using what I posted prior, my apologies for believing otherwise.

@geitonaki

i tried fixing the master boot record, and it did work once. i tried it again to see if i could reproduce the same outcome, but i could not. i am not sure what happened, but it only worked once. i tried letting win98 create the partition, then installing windows and then fixing the mbr... in short, i tried several combinations and none of them worked after that first time. i also tried adjusting the large disk access mode in the bios, but i couldnt get it to work again.

i will try downloading and playing with the file you provided to see if i can get it to work, thanks

@Alanoll

sorry, if i seemed testy, but you were, and still kind of are, coming off as a prick.... i also think that you are confusing me with Nakatomi2010... i have tried that method and i am working on Windows XP x64, but it hasnt worked right for it....

@geitonaki

i tried installing XP x64 using the multiboot ISO you provided and got the same 'error loading operating system' message. i thought it might be the VMware that was acting up, but i tried using the multiboot dvd that i made to install XP x64 on a real computer and it gave me the same message....

do go ahead and tell... (if you attach the BIN file, you'll need to RAR/ZIP is first i believe to pass the file type check on the board)

I'd rather not have a premodified file, but rather a description of how to do it myself and how you came to the conclusion....

:w00t: Great News !!

I've just cracked the new setupldr.bin which has checksum error! So now you can modify it like the old one. Only 2 bytes need to be changed. If the admins let me, I will post here tomorrow the way to do it.

I would also like to know HOW you go it working... but I would also be happy with it if you post the modified file.

I started a new topic:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=58410

Please reply there. I believe this topic should be unsticked and make the new one sticky. No reason for anyone to read these 18 pages. After all I deserve some glory :P

Well, I would have updated the first page and given you the credit... :yes: