Multiboot WinXP 64-Bits & 2003 Server SP1

Using the technique you described on the previouis page using your instructions did nothing but a blinking cursor...

It's my belief that we technically need 2 BT directories, one to represent i386 and another to represent AMD64...

Umm...

All the files I posted last night a couple posts back, are for ONE OS, for teh 64bit version. So...umm...yeah...If you look, there are two seperate folders :whistle:

Figured as much.....

Is there any way to tell which files are ABSOLUTLY necesary for it to work? Because otherwise there needs to be a full I386 and AMD64 directory...

Is the BT we'd get this case the AMD64 directory, and we could just use the i386 directory as a place holder?

*Bare in mind in the creation of my AIO I use 3 BT's, one for complete unattended, with drivers and software, another for attended with software and drivers, and a fully vanilla attended version.. I'd try to do the same with X64*

That being said, say we created XP64 and threw in all of the i386 files into there, we could tell all the boot sectors to look at the same folder, but different AMD64 folders, which are the BT's in this case...

Or am I just totally confusing an otherwise simple to grasp subject...

Having the directory structure as...

AIO-DVD\MW64 (Wherein all i386 files ae copied)

AIO-DVD\PRO64 (Wherein all AMD64 files are copied) and using a

setupldr.bin from a Windows Server 2003 STD on my end I got into the setup and as far as formatting, but at that point it said it either couldn't see the drive, or some files were corupted...

Edited by Nakatomi2010

he probably copied all of them because he either didnt have access to the BT/LS folders, or didnt read the directory structure list... but that shouldnt be the reason why it isnt working. maybe it has do with the replacing of 27 'AMD64' in the setupldr.bin file. i dont remember replacing that many and i got as far as getting all the files copied and the cpu restarting before it stopped working...

@amd64lover

Please create two virtual pcs with vmware, at the one install windows from the original cd and at the other install from the cd you are playing with. Shutdown both the pcs after the first reboot (after the files have been copied). Then mount the virtual hard disk drives with vmware mount utility (available free from their site) and compare with beyond compare the files that have been copied.

Also try to change vmware bios->advanced->large disk access mode or create the partition you are installing with fdisk from a win98 bootable floppy and not with windows setup. These are the most common solutions to the problem 'Error loading operating system' you are having from what i had found.

@Alanoll

Have you tried installing any version of the cd you have?

@geitonaki

well i tried using the fdisk from the Windows 98SE cd to create the partitions. I tried it two times, once letting XP x64 quick format it as NTFS and i got the same 'Error loading operating system message'. The other time i let XP x64 quick format it as FAT32 and i got a 'missing operating system' message.

I made two virtual pc's (one for the AIO-DVD ISO, and one for the regular XP x64 ISO) and tried to install xp x64. I powered off each machine after the reboot and tried loading them with the DiskMount utility. The virtual disk used in the x64 setup did not mount, i got an error saying 'An unexpected error has occurred. Details have been saved in the Application event log'. After reading the application log, i noticed something that said 'The following information is part of the event: Vmount2.Vmount2Disk: last partition extends past end of disk (1044:1043).'.... so i went back and restarted the XP x64 setup on a new virtual pc and created a partition that was 1 gig smaller than the available size and let it format it (ntfs quick) and copy the files. it restarted and gave me the same 'error loading operating system' message, but this time i was able to load it with the DiskMount utlitity.

I compared the two drives using Beyond Compare 2. I did two different comparisons. One based on File Size & CRC and the other was a Binary Comparison. The 'G:' Drive was the XP x64 ISO installation and the 'H:' Drive was the AIO-DVD ISO installation. As you will see in the attached pictures, most of the mismatched files were located in the \windows\system32\config folder.

I tried attaching the pictures to this post, but i received an error saying "The total filespace required to upload all the attached files is greater than your per post or global limit. Please reduce the number of attachments or the size of the attachments.", so i uploaded them to rapidshare.de. they can be downloaded at http://rapidshare.de/files/6292761/File_Comparisons.zip.html

While you geniuses are looking at that and thinking about possible solutions, i am going to try replacing the files that didnt match in the AIO-DVD installation with the 'good ones' from the XP x64 ISO installation and see if that helps any.

Edited by amd64lover

I tried copying some of the files from the XP x64 ISO installation to the AIO-DVD installation to see if it would solve the 'Error loading operating system message'. I only copied the files that didnt match.... It didnt help, i still got the same error message....

Edited by amd64lover

Ok, i have FINALLY figured it out... the culprit was the setupldr.bin file, but instead of trying to change it (or substitue the windows 2003 non sp1 version), the key was to leave it as is. Here is what to do to get Windows XP x64 added to a multiboot DVD (i am assuming that you have read Flyakite´s Guide before following these instructinos)....

- create an XP64 folder in the setup directory and copy the contents of the entire XP x64 cd to it

- copy the $WIN_NT$.~BT folder to the root of the DVD and rename it to 'I386'

- delete the bootsect.dat, migrate.inf, and winnt.sif files

- edit txtstup.sif to show the 'setupsourcepath' as "\SETUP\XP64\"

- use MagicISO (or any other similar program) to save the boot image as 'XP64.DAT'. place it in the root of the dvd (there is no need to edit this file since we renamed the boot folder to I386)

- edit the cdshell.ini file to show the XP x64 option and chain it to XP64.DAT

Thats it... it worked like a charm and all the other operating systems were unaffected and worked fine. This SHOULD work for Windows Server 2003 SP1 since the same problem was encountered with its setupldr.bin file. I will double check to make sure. Thanks to flyakite, Alanoll, geitonaki, Nakatomi2010, Godzilla, & everyone else who contributed. This just shows that when we work together, we can do anything.

p.s. - i have uploaded my $WIN_NT$.~BT folder (the Windows XP x64 version) to rapidshare. The files inside have already been edited per the instructions above. You will still need to rename it to 'I386' and place it in the root of your DVD. It can be downloaded here.... http://rapidshare.de/files/6332118/x64_-__...T_._BT.zip.html