Multiboot WinXP 64-Bits & 2003 Server SP1

ok, that solved the kernal fault problem. everything was going fine. setup formatted and copied the files with no problem, but when it restarted, i got an error message saying 'Error loading operating system'... i wonder if this is because of the setupldr.bin file? i am trying to find a non SP1 to tryout...

Edited by amd64lover

@amd64lover

Here is the SETUPLDR.BIN of Windows 2003 non SP1.

But I believe this is the same with your's, since you didn't get the corrupt file error which you would have had if you have modified the SETUPLDR.BIN of SP1.

The error you are having I don't believe is related with SETUPLDR.BIN. See the results of google search:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Error+lo...stem%22+windows

Try delete the VMware PC and make a new one trying SCSI or IDE HDD. Also please try it with your original cd of Windows x64.

@geitonaki

i already installed Windows XP x64 from the cd to VMware (so i could ge the $WIN_NT$.~BT& $WIN_NT$.~LS folders) and it worked fine. I tried using the files from those folders (and copying them into the MW64 and PRO64 folders) and i also tried using the AMD64 & I386 folders from the cd (and copying them into the MW64 and PRO64 folders), but neither one of those worked. same 'Error loading operating system' meesage. i already have read up on that error and it looks like a bios issue. ill try it out on an actual PC (instead of vmware) and see how it works....

so i burned the iso image to a DVD and tried installing it on an actual PC and it didnt work. I got an 'A disk read error occured. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart'.... not sure what the problem is or why the error is different. maybe something to do with the bios of the computer on which i am installing it (both are exactly the same). maybe VMware is inheriting the properties of my flawed bios. i read and read and it seems that all the solutions say something about enabling large access mode or LBA, but my motherboard bios doesnt have that option and neither does VMware... what to do now?

Last time I got that "Press ctrl+alt+del" message was when I had something fowled up in my 32bit install....

I tell you what though.... But everything you guys have discovered into a single post for me to review and second or third thing I do when I get into work tomorrow will be to attempt to get 64-bit to work multi-boot... I meant to awhile back anyways, just got caught up in fine tuning my DVD....

So, please consolidate as much as you can into a single post for me.. Even files I may need... I've got a A64 system I use regularly as a guinea pig, hell I even use RAID drvers..

Well, youll need to read flyakite's guide, its pretty thorough. the link is http://flyakite.msfnhosting.com/ .... that will cover everything from adding windows 98 to server 2003 (non SP1) to a multiboot DVD. and here are a semi-modified version of geitonaki's instructions on how to add Windows XP x64 to that multiboot DVD...

OK so for 64 bit versions of windows we need to do probably these steps:

• Create "AIO-DVD\SETUP\XP64\"

• Copy the entire cd to the XP64 folder

• Create "AIO-DVD\MW64\"

• Create "AIO-DVD\PRO64\"

• Copy all files (or only those needed) from "AIO-DVD\SETUP\ XP64\I386\" to "AIO-DVD\MW64\"

• Copy all files (or only those needed) from "AIO-DVD\SETUP\XP64\AMD64\" to "AIO-DVD\PRO64\"

• Take the original setupldr.bin of win2003 32bit with no sp1, replace all instances of "I386" with "MW64", replace "\AMD64" with "\PRO64" and "AMD64\" with "PRO64\" and save it in "AIO-DVD\MW64\"

• Take the regular boot sector file, replace "I386" with "MW64" and save it as "MW64.BIN" in "AIO-DVD\"

• Copy "WIN51" and "WIN51AP" from "AIO-DVD\SETUP\XP64\" to "AIO-DVD\"

• Edit "AIO-DVD\PRO64\TXTSETUP.SIF" and change SetupSourcePath = "\" to SetupSourcePath = "\SETUP\XP64\"

• Now you can link the boot sector in your boot menu (like cdshell).

Let us know how it works for you.

@geitonaki

Here are the two dir listings you wanted. I did them on the EN6R and ENR64 folders, since they're for the 64bit OS Windows 2003 x64 Enterprise.

EN6R = I386 from the original CD, atleast in where it attains it's files (not sure where DISK101 and those came from yet) and the only file altered is SETUPLDR.BIN

ENR64 = AMD64 from the original CD, and the only file altered is TXTSETUP.SIF

I'm attaching the DIR listings, and RAR files of both the folders in question.

EN6R.txt

ENR64.txt

EN6R.rar

ENR64.rar

EN6R_BOOTSECTOR.rar

What the #$%@? Comparing setupldr.bin in EN6R.rar you posted with non SP1 of Windows Server 2003 32bit I have noticed that two instances of I386 have been replaced with EN64 while the other two with EN6R, which is the name of the folder. In root.txt you had posted earlier there isn't any folder EN64. This is I suppose a mistake of WinBeta's release. Comparing SETUPLDR64.BIN that you had posted earlier, all four instances of I386 are replaced with ST6R. Maybe after all this release doesn't work. If it works then the steps I have posted should be valid. If only my amd64 wasn't broken so I could try it myself...

Alright, I've got Windows Server 2003 on my end, which version do I need, and how can I tell if it's pre-SP1...

I've got WS2K3 Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter, both VLM and OEM....

Edit: And Web Release, again both VLM and OEM...

Also, how many instances of AMD64 should I be expecting? The setupldr.bin file I have (Which may or may not be pre-sp1) has 27 reference to it...

Edited by Nakatomi2010