Multiboot WinXP 64-Bits & 2003 Server SP1

I've used the older setupldr.bin and now I don't get the corrupt/mising ntldr error. But. It starts the setup process but then stops and gives me thi message " setup cannot find the temporary installation files".

I've rechecked everything but i can't see anything out of place. Any ideas ?

Well, how about this for an idea rebelryder.

What if someone tests changing txtsetup.sif so that it doesn't reference AMD64 as a source folder, but only references I386. Then copy all the setup files to a single I386 folder. If this works, then be can simply do our Multiboots the same old way....

I'd test this myself, but I'm away from my home machine for a week or so. If nobody else tests it when I get back home, I'll give it a try myself.

Any comments?

Edited by Viking

I'm just thinking that maybe we can use the old setupldr.bin that you were trying, but that won't work while it's looking for folders that setupldr.bin doesn't know about. Was just a thought....

I've been looking into renaming the $WIN_NT$.~BT section in setupldr.bin, but I'm stuck on something. Does anyone know what file references the $WIN_NT$.~LS directory? I can't seem to find any mention of it. It's got to be referenced somewhere, but where? I've looked in setupldr.bin, bootsect.dat, disk.sys, dmboot.sys, dmload.sys, ntfs.sys, ntdetect.com, txtsetup.sif, migrate.inf and ntdll.dll. I'm at a loss.

Hey eb,

This is my first post to MSFN & i found it great so far. I am facing the same problem with setupldr.bin of win2003 sp1.

well swammer have you reached at this installation stage from Multi-OS bootable disc ?

one more thing i dont think checksum is the cause as this setupldr.bin must be created through exe2bin tool :huh: ? & if yes then this tool doesnt let bin files carry Image_DOS_Header with them so no point of checksum ? :blink:

Please correct me if i am wrong :} whatever be the case, installing win2003-SP1 through bootable disc with modified setupldr.bin fails with "NTLDR is corrupt. The system cannot boot." error message :(

Thanks

anshim.

my install finished and i'm got windows 2003 sp1 installed from my multi disc. though my multiboot only has one OS right now.

all I did was replace the setupldr.bin in the 3std and i386 directory and it ran fine! I used the setupldr.bin from the original install (before integrating the SP) and editing it to point to 3STD

winver reads:

version 5.2 build 3790.srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447: service pack 1

Edited by swammer

i added 2003 SP1 Enterprise, did the same thing as above and it's almost done with the install

congratulations...you completely defeated the point of this thread by saying you used the PRE-SP1 version of teh setupldr.bin. We've already assertained that that works, however it does NOT work for an x64 platform

I have found that there is some checksum on newer setupldr.bin ( win2003 with sp1) which was not there in earlier versions.. & this is the reason why it gets fail after modifying setupldr.bin.

Anybody having any idea where checksum gets store in .bin file? as for executables i know it gets stored on 12th byte ...& it is of 2 byte in that case.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.sweetscape.com/010editor/

Analysis Tools

A number of sophisticated tools are included with 010 Editor for analyzing and editing binary files.

Full Find, Replace, and Find in Files functionality for many different data types.

Powerful Binary Comparison tool for comparing bytes of two files.

Computes Check Sum/Hash Algorithms including CRC-16, CRC-32, Adler32, MD2, MD4, MD5, RIPEMD160, SHA-1, SHA-256, and TIGER.

Use the Histogram tools to count byte occurrences.

Apply Highlighting rules to identify bytes in a file.

Mark important bytes in the file using Bookmarks.

Convert data between ASCII, EBCDIC, and UNICODE formats.

Results from many tools are displayed in a graph for easy visualization

Maybe a good start :D

According to this program, the 3 SETUPLDR.BIN file I posted are EXACTLY the same... no difference at all

Doesn't surprise me. I know from discussions inside MS, that the x64 OS trees are unified pretty much. Lots of files do one thing in XP, and something different in 2k3.

There will be at least 1, if not 2 hotfixes in the near future that will have an updated version of SETUPLDR.BIN, It'll be intresting to see what other changes come along with it.