Multiboot WinXP 64-Bits & 2003 Server SP1

Well, I did figure something out. I copied ntldr from the actual i386 directory to the boot directory (1OPX on my disc). It got past the ntldr is corrupt message, but stopped with a NTDETECT failed error. That's a start anyway.

Well, I did figure something out.  I copied ntldr from the actual i386 directory to the boot directory (1OPX on my disc).  It got past the ntldr is corrupt message, but stopped with a NTDETECT failed error.  That's a start anyway.

This observation bring in a 3rd possibility to the equation... maybe the setupldr.bin file isn't the cause of the problem, an other file may be responsible for that...

Edited by Incroyable HULK

Another possibility that I didn't think of before is that a multi-boot DVD as we currently know them just will not work with x64. Think about it. When it boots initially it's running in 16-bit mode if I'm not mistaken. It then launches whatever setup files are needed to run the other setup disc on the DVD. However, x64 is not compatible with 16-bit mode. We may have to resort to a WinPE/BartPE method for preinstalls from here on out. Frankly, it's probably a better idea anyway. What do you think?

Jito463 =>put ntldr in boot folder doesn't work for me, i have ntldr corrupt (have you modified setupldr, how ?)

Try to put ntdll.dll and osloader too, maybe it will work ... ;) !

I think the WinPE based method is the best to explore now ... B)

Good evening all !

This observation bring in a 3rd possibility to the equation... maybe the setupldr.bin file isn't the cause of the problem, an other file may be responsible for that...

I agree. I have modified setupldr.bin files working fine on linux (for WinPE PXE booting). So I think there is some other file (DLL maybe?) doing a checksum on the setupldr.bin file durring boot.

Another possibility that I didn't think of before is that a multi-boot DVD as we currently know them just will not work with x64.  Think about it.  When it boots initially it's running in 16-bit mode if I'm not mistaken.  It then launches whatever setup files are needed to run the other setup disc on the DVD.  However, x64 is not compatible with 16-bit mode.  We may have to resort to a WinPE/BartPE method for preinstalls from here on out.  Frankly, it's probably a better idea anyway.  What do you think?

Well, if windows XP x64 is 64bit, then the installation is 64bit too (or else you wouldn't be having any trouble, would you?). So at some point, the installation switches from 16-bit mode to 64-bit mode. (Maybe with 32-bit mode between those) That moment should normally be the same point where a normal windows XP installation (32 bit) switches from 16 bit to 32 bit mode. That last one (16 -> 32) works on multi-boot, so why wouldn't 16->(32)->64 work?

Another possibility that I didn't think of before is that a multi-boot DVD as we currently know them just will not work with x64 ... x64 is not compatible with 16-bit mode.

I would agree with that IF Windows 2003 Server SP1 (32-Bits) would work! Since it has the same issues as 64-Bits, it must be something else.

Edited by Incroyable HULK

sorry i am from Spain,read english well but write very bad..

asi que pondre tambien español,si alguien puede interpretar a los demas se agradece

ok,the solution for dvd windows 2003 server and server X64 is posible thats:

put yours server 2003 carpets ,no chaing the name I386 ,for the X64 put AMD64 and

the I386 rename for example I064 and put too in the boot.bin of the X64

SETUPLDR.BINBOOTFIX.BINI064AMD64

DVD

I386 ; WINDOWS SERVER 2003

AMD64 ; WINDOWS X64

I064 ; WINDOWS X 64 I386 RENAME I064

ok,i am too looking that I386 in the X64 only have one file diferent of the I386 in 2003 server ,i am think put all in I386 , Windows 2003 server and X64

Has anyone tried hex-editing the setupldr.exe (after unpacking it of course) and changing the references to i386 in there? I ask because when I opened it in the hex editor, it had the exact same i386 references in what appeared to be the same places as setupldr.bin. I probably won't get a chance to play with it until next week. We're closing our store down and moving everything to the other store, so things are a little busy atm.