32-bit scandisk

SCANDISK does not know or care about 48-Bit LBA. It's limitation appears to be an issue with memory allocation. It's limit is actually 500MB below the 137GB limit. Some people have reported limits as low as 64GB. Upgrading or replacing your ESDI_506.PDR will not help. Even using a PCI Card or an external USB drive will not help. The only good news is that the Windows version of SCANDISK will fail immediately without doing any damage. The same for DEFRAG.

This might not be true for third party SCANDISK and DEFRAG programs. The Windows ME versions are not any better. If your hard disk controller driver supports 48-Bit LBA you can place a 136GB partition anywhere on the hard drive you want.

^^ rloew recent post.

So, this check should be removed... or not removed... it is useless anyway. :blink:

If I understand correctly, scandskw should not be run on disks bigger than 136 GB.

The initial selection of disk to scan is done by this wrapper or by dskmaint.dll?

It would be good not to allow scan of bigger disk I think.

The best would be to allocate more memory so the scandisk could be able to work with bigger disks. Is there any chance for it?

Petr

• 2 weeks later...