32-bit scandisk

Here is my 2 hours of work:

32-bit scandisk. What? No, no! Not really rewrited scan disk 9x function or such.

It's just a replacement over standard scandskw and:

- As a 32-bit application, it's more stable!

- As a 32-bit application, it can talk with other 32-bit extensions

- As a 32-bit application, it can be skinned!

It supports standard parameters:

scandskw.exe [disk list] [parameters]

/a Check all your local hard disks.

/n Start and quit ScanDisk automatically.

/p Prevent ScanDisk from correcting any errors it finds.

+additional+

/surface: Force surface scan

/custom: Disallow to change your settings

/noui: Background (no UI) scanning

/min: Minimized scanning

Tihiy

scandskw.exe

Tihiy:

AWESOME!

Replaced your Scandskw.exe with the old one (in C:\Windows\) and... works like a charm!

That was on my 'test bed' with 98seSP, 98se>ME, RP 3.5.

My 'base' (read 'base line') PC, with none of the above, crashed with:

SCANDSKW caused a general protection fault
in module KRNL386.EXE at 0001:00006386.
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=0147 EIP=00006386 EFLGS=00000246
EBX=00000020 SS=5a3f ESP=00008a6c EBP=00008a72
ECX=00000031 DS=016f ESI=00005967 FS=5967
EDX=000217e3 ES=016f EDI=802c016f GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
8e 5e 04 8e 06 60 00 ba 42 00 bb 26 12 e8 48 fa
Stack dump:
016f016f 8a785967 17e26985 00288ac0 17e2019f fffffff8 005101d8 00000001 00000010 0063fbd4 7fe81590 00000001 bff9b3fe 00637000 00402c9c

No big deal. Just include it in the next release of the Revolution Pack (which I believe fixes the above problem).

Great (and lets not forget fast) work!

nitebat

Dear Tihiy

How do u do all such things can u send me what languages u know and how u improved u'r idea about modifying ms's all bugs etc.

please reply as good as u can so that all forum member can take advantage and improve there knowledge.

MSFN ENJOY!!!

Tihiy, thanks for this great work... :thumbup

If you accept, I want to add it into the next version after some testing.

Original Win98 Scandisk wrapper is very small (4 KB). Why? Any idea? Also, what's the reason of Kernel32.dll-4.10.2225 dependecy? Just wonder...

Tihiy, thanks for this great work... :thumbup

Original Win98 Scandisk wrapper is very small (4 KB). Why? Any idea? Also, what's the reason of Kernel32.dll-4.10.2225 dependecy? Just wonder...

Well, you can if it works OK. My scandisk is bigger, because

- Bit more features

- Includes more icon variations, including 32-bit ones

- PowerBasic compiler sux!

You can compress it with UPX executable packer.

As for Kernel32.dll, it's because it has hard-coded function offset values - it's difficult to write proper calls for undocumented APIs. :)

Gape,

I really hope you keep 3rd party applications as optional items that aren't installed by default, or provide a very easy to click checkbox to allow or disallow all 3rd party applications.

Some of us are purists that only want official MS bits installed on the PC. Some of us don't have a choice because we are in a work enviroment and installing 3rd party apps to replace 1st party apps is GREATLY frowned upon.

I've been trying to sell my coworkers on installing this across the company but it's been falling upon deaf ears for now. Obviously if 3rd party bits are installed by default it makes it 10x harder to convince an IT team to install this SP1.

I'm not asking you ot cater to me, I'm just asking for you to keep this SP as pure (1st party) as possible.

I really hope you keep 3rd party applications as optional items that aren't installed by default, or provide a very easy to click checkbox to allow or disallow all 3rd party applications.

Some of us are purists that only want official MS bits installed on the PC.  Some of us don't have a choice because we are in a work enviroment and installing 3rd party apps to replace 1st party apps is GREATLY frowned upon.

I've been trying to sell my coworkers on installing this across the company but it's been falling upon deaf ears for now.  Obviously if 3rd party bits are installed by default it makes it 10x harder to convince an IT team to install this SP1.

I'm not asking you ot cater to me, I'm just asking for you to keep this SP as pure (1st party) as possible.

Rhelic,

Thank you for your comments. I'll try to make them optional.

Also I want to write again:

- SP will NOT be a collection of freeware programs.

- Only some replacements can be added to SP such as Scandisk, Format etc.

- Scandisk, Format and FDisk replacements are required for better HDD capacity support.

ahhh, i was going to post on this but see someone has beat me to it :)

if these are going to find there way into the SP :unsure: might i suggest a new "large disk package" option.

Tihiy has not said that this scandisk addresses any of the concerning issues and imo alot of people will not have problems with the 137 GB limit as their existing partitions will be smaller than this. i 've made my views on unnecessary hacked file inclusion in the SP pretty clear previously and for much the same reasons as Rhelic. it seems much better suited (what with the skinning and added icons) to Tihiy's own ongoing projects.

anyway just my 2 cents...

miko:

tihiys' 32 bit ScanDisk is the result of disscusions we had concerning the LameSkin part of his Revolution Pack. I had asked if he could 'skin' no-standard buttons (like 'Start' & 'Close' in ScanDisk). He said it would be easier to write a 32 bit ScanDisk, which he did. It took him less then 2 hours.

Now, Scandiskw.exe is just a 'wrapper' for the 16 bit scandisk.exe in the C:\Windows\Command\ folder. The original Scandiskw.exe is a 16 bit app as well. Tihiy just wrote a 32 bit 'front end' for scandisk.exe. Defrag, on the other hand, is a 16 bit app with no 'dos' companion. So, unfortunatly, there will be no 'skinnable' version of defrag.exe anytime soon. :blink: So, miko, fear not, tihiy didn't re-write scandisk, just made a new (and nicer) GUI front end for it. It would be scary to introduce a new bug in such an important program as scandisk, but in this case that is simply impossible. Scandisk.exe remains untouched. Whether (or if) it ends up in Gapes' or Tihiys' packages is up to them. Wherever it ends up, I will and already am using it and I will pass it on to others... without fear.

Hope that clarifies things for you.

nitebat

Now, Scandiskw.exe is just a 'wrapper' for the 16 bit scandisk.exe in the C:\Windows\Command\ folder.

:no: WRONG! As before, it's wrapper over shell functions.

Delete scandisk.exe and check if you don't believe.

Thank you tihiy:

The functions had to come from somewhere. I had no idea they were buried so deep. Makes scense though. So now the 32 bit functions have a 32 bit 'front end'.

nitebat

Always willing to learn.