Networked-printer setup

I have got networked-printer at work with IP address 10.71.83.17,

I tried to set this printer by using wizard, now when I reached this wndow's

wizard:

"Local or Netwok printer"

1- Local Printer attached to This computer.

Automaticallt detect and install my plug & play printer.

2- A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer.

If I chose fisrt option, I can enter IP address for printer, while in second option, I can not use IP address

Why should I choose first option (Local Printer attached to This computer) , if it is a networked-printer ?

Open My Computer and in the Address Bar type in "\\<printer ip>" and then double click on your printer to install it.

This would be the short, simple, and easiest method since the other way is causing issues.

Thanks

This would be the short, simple, and easiest method since the other way is causing issues.

Actually my question why do we use option "Local" not "Network", since it is networked-printer ?(i.e I want to know the reason for that)

Thanks

Actually my question why do we use option "Local" not "Network", since it is networked-printer ?(i.e I want to know the reason for that)

when you install printer on the server you have to use Local in order to share the printer, since you can't share "network" printer ... if you run for example HP Network Printer Installation Wizard to install HP network printers on your server, all printer will be installed as local, even though specific ports using IP addresses will be created, and printers will be shared ...

i have an additional question for this...

i have an internet cafe somewhere in this planet and i have a windows 2003 OS with print server enabled... is there a way to restrict printing in my LAN? i mean, i want the server to display a print request whenever someone in my LAN prints his document...

the current setup is that whenever someone in my LAN prints a document, the server automatically prints the document... is there a way to alter this behavior???

you can restrict printing using either user group access or using printing devices (Win2k3) but to display request that will be approved or denied is not possible using built in software ... you would have to look for some third party software that controls printing ...