What About Program Files (x86)?

Hi All...

I'm Trying To Make An Unattended Install Of Windows XP x64...

Everything Is OK Except For The Fact That I Can't Find Or Figure Out The Variable You Can Use For The Location Of "Program Files (x86)" In

winnt.sif (Since I'll Be Using The Unattended Install From CD Method)

I Understand That If You Put:

programfilesdir=******** (Where ********= Your Preferred Directory For "Program Files")

It Will Create It In The Location You Specified. Now, What About "Program Files (x86)" What Is The Variable For That Folder?

I Checked ref.chm In DEPLOY.CAB In The CD But Nothing There....Searched MSDN / TechNet & The Same goes For Them :(

I Also Made Some Guesses :) Like:

x86programfilesdir

(x86)programfilesdir

programfilesx86dir

programfiles(x86)dir

programfilesdirx86

programfilesdir(x86)

Any Help Or Guidance Will Be Greatly Appreciated

Thanks!

well i think microsoft doesn’t like the idea that u can specify that in an unattended install :wacko:

you see.....not even the variable for program files or profiles (in windows xp)is documented in the ref.chm (i took note of that long ago) i double checked with windows x64's ref.chm & the same goes -_-

no msdn no technet :angry: i even googled for hours....... :realmad:

i think it will be a challenge to do...

Having the same problem here, the $PROGS directory in $OEM just installs to the STD programme files folder..I have tryed $PROGS(x86) to no avail...does anyone know the correct directory structure for 64 bit xp?

$PROGS86, $PROGS 86, $PROG86 , $86PROGS, ???????????????

Dr!ll.

Having the same problem here, the $PROGS directory in $OEM just installs to the STD programme files folder..I have tryed $PROGS(x86) to no avail...does anyone know the correct directory structure for 64 bit xp?

Dr!ll.

You just gave me an Idea. I had a batch file that copied my winzip

files to c:\Program Files(x86) to be installed. But I think if I

create a directory on my cd of $OEM$\$1\Program Files(x86)\Winzip.

They should be copied into the right directory for me.

Dr!ll.

You can't see one or the other - the operating system presents one to 32-bit and the other to 64-bit applications - each will see only one. I doubt that what the original poster asked about is possible.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, you figured out the name of the variable. If you change its value (for example, to "Programs_x86") you will notice that there will be both a directory %SystemDrive%\Programs_x86 and a directory %SystemDrive%\Program Files (x86). That may be (my oppinion) because some programs (not very well written) don't really read the value of the variable from the registry (or don't use expandable strings) in order to find its actual value, they just assume that the value is "Program Files (x86)". So it is not wise to change this value, at least not until all these programs will get the correct value.

• 3 weeks later...
I've just tried an "echo" in CMD for %PROGRAMFILES(X86)% and it returns "C:\Program Files (x86)" so that works. :)

There are a few more Environment Variables listed here

just do "set" and you'll get all the environment variables.

Anyone knows the equivalent of $Progs for 32 bit programs under the $OEM$ folder structure? ($OEM$\$Progs will be copied to %ProgramFiles%)