Network Drive Unavailable

harka13

I have a laptop which is driving me insane. It is running WinXP Sp2 (fresh image) and i am trying to map a drive for the user. Now i can map it ok, but after a day or two it drops off and if you view the mapped drive list using 'net use' it shows the drive as unavailable. However, the same laptop has another mapped drive to the same remote server (different folder though) and its mapping is just fine - never goes unavailable.

The laptop definately has access to the remote resource, you can navigate to the remote resource by using the Run command and entering the full UNC path. The window always pops up without an error. You can even create a shortcut on the desktop to the remote resource and it always works - at the same time the mapped network drive will still be unavailable. Try to click on the mapped drive you get the error "... path not found.." (something along these lines)...

I am not sure what else to check - any ideas would be great... :(

is the server on a domain, and is the laptop on the domain too?

Did you click reconnect at next logon when mapping a drive?

make sure the user types in his\her username and password to access the shared resource, make sure that his\her security settings on the share are setup correctly

...furthermore, are both laptops on the domain and setup the same i.e. have the same config's, user/passwords, etc.?

Does one laptop have a fixed IP addy and one has DHCP-assigned IP?

Is the LAN/WiFi card switching off after being idle? - on the lines of the rather annoying setting "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" setting in the driver properties ;)

Just following on from sy89 :D

harka13 - Please reply if you/we solve it so others can benefit too :)

Regards,

Nath