sharing files between XP & Server 2K3

trm96

I have a few computers connected in a network (3 XP Pro and 1 Server 2003), I also have several network shares set up on my XP machines (can access the files/folders just fine form any computer on the network) but i want to set up a network share on my server 2003 machine but i cannot access the shares from my other computers. I keep getting the same error <server name>"is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the admin of this server to find out if you have access permissions."

"logon failure: user account restriction. Possible reasons are blank passwords not allowed, logon hour restrictions, or a policy restriction has been enforced"

How do i change this so that I can access this folder from any computer on the network without having to worry about user names and passes like I can with my network shares on my XP computers? Also when I tryed to access the folder form my noteboook (XP Pro/wireless) I was prompted by a logon dialog of witch i typed in the servers user name and pass and was able to access the network share like normal, non of my other computers have gave me this prompt. :huh:

I have the same problem as you.

I have installed Windows 2003 Service Pack 1 as a main server and added ISA Server 2004 Standard Service Pack 1, while all other machines run Windows XP Service Pack 2. First, I thought it ISA firewall restriction, then I allowed all connections from Local Host (Windows 2003) to (Internal Network); however, I still have the same problem as you described

Check your Guest account .. it must Enable ... and check too in gpedit.msc if Guest is blocked for network browse.

Sure these settings are for certains cases ... I haved this problem several times ...

not sure if this will help but you can check gpedit.msc, run this and drill down into the folowing location: Windows settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> User Rights, Within here you should see one policy called "Access this computer from the network" - check what has been enabled in this policy....

Good luck - hope this helps.

Yet another Group Policy to look into is this one:

"Accounts: Limit Local Accounts Use Of Blank Passwords To Console Logon Only"

It's under:

Computer Config > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options

If you leave it enabled (Default) then any account that doesn't have a password cannot access the machine. Of course, you should have a password, but some obviously don't. Disable it to allow passage...