Ad-aware SE answer file?

Huli

First off i want to thank everyone here for this stuff. Without you all my job would be impossible! I'm beginning to feel like a perpetual noobie.

Before i get yelled at I am aware of the silent install method for adaware using '/s' and taskkills posted in these forums. But i was reading a KB article from the Wise about command line switches for software using their packager. It mentioned a '/m filename' switch that can pass variable values to the install. Reminded me of something like the quicktimeinstaller.ini; i was wondering how to go about discovering the variable names used during the adaware SE install to create the answer file. I saw that the installer creates a series of .tmp files in my %userprofile%\local settings\temp directory. I have no way of viewing the contents of those file though. just wondering if this is worth exploring further. the /s + taskkill method does the job but the answer file method seems cleaner. thanks again.

Eh, why would you even need to install ad-aware? Ad-Aware runs off just fine without any installers. All you need is the Ad-Aware.exe and the defs.ref file. Just copy these two files anywhere and ur done. No need for messy installers, answer files and what not.

just a quick reply here...

hows this for you:

EDIT:

Visit *this* post where you can log on to my site and get a ready made file to use :)

Using the packaged version, in order to silent install, use /SILENT and it will show progress bar while installing and create the icons for you - it ont open, try and update or show the help file at the end of the install :)

NOTE: I haven't fully tested it, so be careful with it. Its probably best to uninstall the version you have installed first and then install this, as it may not detect a previous version.

I works smoothly on XP SP2 and I promise that there is no spyware, viruses or anything else in the package. All the files within the package are from the original 1.06 package :)

Please PM or post with comments, suggestions and whether it works for unattended use (XP UA) and on other OS's.

Regards and if anything feels I should start a new topic for it, please say and I shall do so :)

Regards and enjoy,

Nath

there is nothing customised about it, only repacked with a different installer and that it wont do the irritating things of the normal installer thats all.

Just use it with /silent and away you go, tho like i said, I have only just made it so haven't tried it with a cmdlines/etc type install.

I could probably make one that doesn't need the silent switch, but at least you have the option this way :)

regards,

N.

Thanks it_ybd ... As always u came up with the best solution! ;)

Im just downloading it and Im gonna replace it for the one on my Install folder!

Thanks man!

Offtopic: yt_ybd, today I got my laptop! :) SWEEETT! :D

I dunno 'bout always lol but thanks :D

let me know any changes, suggestions, etc. :)

Offtopic: I knew u'd like it lol :) notice the partitions r in FAT32 - unsure about formatting or converting coz theres a hidden partition on the drive (recovery partition) but OS isn't too cluttered :thumbup: ......

Regards,

N.