Blown PSU

rikgale

Hi

I have just blown up my spare computer. I was swaping the mobo over from an Abit KR7A to an Asus A7V8X-X. Pluged everything and made sure all was good, turned on the PSU at the wall for the 1st time, turned it on at the back (i never got to actually turn the machine on). The little green light on the mobo came on for about 2 secs, followed by a loud buzzing noise from the PSU and a then after about 1 sec of the buzz, there was a loud bang. This fused the house as well as totally buggering the PSU (assume that it is buggered as there was lot of smoke coming from it.) Then the little green light went out! I have to admit at this point I was not looking and the green light to see if it went out before or after the bang, I was looking at the PSU in horror at that point. :angry:

What I am curious :unsure: to know is the likelyhood of having damaged the rest of the computer i.e. the cpu (XP1800) and the RAM (2x256 PC2100) and the Gfx card (ATI 9600)?

Any opinions/help will be most welcome

Rik

any psu has a fuse that protects the psu and also teh rest of the components.

the only thing to do is to try check the components with another psu(i will say a new one)

My cousin had blow he PSU; by chagning the voltage when the power was on.

It destryoed the motherborad, gfx card, sound card, and other bit.

So he had to get a new computer.

He needed it he was on Win98.

@rikgale:

If you used a generic PSU the chances of your mobo + components being screwed get's a whole lot bigger but if it's namebrand (ie. Enermax, Thermaltake, ect) then everything should be ok.

But I should also say that I had a pc that was killed by lightning and only the mobo died (it saved everything else,lucky me).

Moral of the story: Next time double,double check :P (esp. those power cables connected to the mobo they usually cause blowup's ;) )

Well as a round up, the PSU knackered the mobo, the DVD-ROM, the HD, basically everything. I've not been able to test the RAM and the CPU. From what I've been told these are protected by there own voltage circuits (or something like that) so these maybe salvagable and there for ebayable (new word :P). Now looking at a nice cheap (~£320) Shuttle replacement as a quiet test machine.

just a tip to test the psu use a paper clip and remove the main psu connector on the mobo and insert the paper into the green and black holes on the 20 0r 24 pin connector if the fan spins thiers a good chance the psu is cool and mobo is dead

I had one blow for no apparent reason, luckily it wasn't actually in a computer.  I was using it as a 12-volt power supply for electronics, and when I went to turn it on (nothing connected) it just went ZAP.

That is EXACTLY what is supposed to happen.

NEVER

power up a PSU WITHOUT proper load.

Computer PSU's are SWITCHING power supplies, they need a load (power consumption) to work.

Some (more expensive ones) will have a protection circuit if switched on with nothing connected to it, some (cheaper ones) will have not, and they will just blow.

Read here:

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/powersupply.htm

If you want to test a PSU you NEED a LOAD.

WARNING!

NEVER and when I say NEVER I mean NEVER!

connect a PSU to mains (for testing or any other purpose) without a minimal power load on BOTH the 5V AND 12V circuits, as PSU could burn/blow!

A good dummy load for testing a power supply is a car stop/tail lamp (12V 21W+5W)

1) connect negative casing of the lamp to ground (black)

2) connect 21W stop section to 5V (red)

3) connect 5W tail section to 12V (yelllow)

jaclaz