Driver integration - monitor (samsung) drivers

tsk

I already posted this here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=46823

but it's still unresolved so I post here (was given advice to post in this section).

I integrate my monitor (Samsung SM 900p+) drivers using nLite standard option (actually, there are only 2 files composing this driver: .inf and .icm) - and they don't auto install during setup and I have to install them manually when Windows install finishes. (My monitor is being recognized as Samsung SM 900IFT during setup which is plai wrong). So what's up? Why don't they install?

How to work around it and make these drivers install fine?

I'll add that integrated drivers for my graphics card (Nvidia, Detonators), NIC (Realtek RTL8139) and sound card (Hercules Fortissimo 2) install fine. Only monitor driver gives me problems.

I use latest nLite (0.99.9 beta) and RyanVM post-SP updates package (1.2.2). OS is XP SP2. I don't use/haven't ever used any of Driver Packs (nor do I even know how to use them yet ;)). Btw: Is there any chance that there be will DP for monitors supporting Samsung SM900p+? Also, could such DP be used flawlessly together with nLite and RyanVM pack?

As I said, I have only 2 files for my monitor: 1 .inf and 1 .icm - no .cat and I can't find anywhere drivers for my monitor which include it. Maybe lack of .cat is the problem here? Do you know where I can find "normal" drivers for my CRT - Samsung page is really awful - can't find there anything for my monitor model. Maybe (Samsung) FTP?

Strange thing is that Windows itself doesn't have drivers for my monitor model - is it so rare? Maybe it would be easier to modify Windows-supplied .inf(s) for monitors and add support for my model there - would it work? (But I have no idea how to do it :().

Just in case, I post whole .inf file contents here:

; File Name : sm900pp.inf
;
; This is a Setup information file for the Samsung Monitor.

[version]
signature="$CHICAGO$"
Class=Monitor
ClassGuid={4D36E96E-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Provider=%Samsung%

[ClassInstall32]
AddReg=ClassAddReg32

[ClassAddReg32]
HKR,,,,%MonitorClassName%
HKR,,Icon,,"-1"
HKR,,NoInstallClass,,1

[DestinationDirs]
DefaultDestDir = 11
900pp.CopyFiles = 23

[SourceDisksNames]
1="Samsung Monitor Installation Disk",,1

[SourceDisksFiles]
sm900pp.icm=1

[Manufacturer]
%Samsung%=Samsung

[Samsung]
%900pp%=900pp.Install, Monitor\SAM4CD9

[900pp.Install]
DelReg=DEL_CURRENT_REG
AddReg=900pp.AddReg, 1600, DPMS
CopyFiles=900pp.CopyFiles

;-----------------------------------------------------

[DEL_CURRENT_REG]
HKR,MODES
HKR,,MaxResolution
HKR,,DPMS
HKR,,ICMProfile

[640]
HKR,,MaxResolution,,"640,480"
[800]
HKR,,MaxResolution,,"800,600"
[1024]
HKR,,MaxResolution,,"1024,768"
[1280]
HKR,,MaxResolution,,"1280,1024"
[1600]
HKR,,MaxResolution,,"1600,1200"

[DPMS]
HKR,,DPMS,,1

;-----------------------------------------------------

[900pp.AddReg]
HKR,"MODES\1600,1200",Mode1,,"30-107,50-160,+,+"
HKR,,ICMProfile,0,"sm900pp.icm"

;------------------------------------------------------

[900pp.CopyFiles]
sm900pp.icm

;------------------------------------------------------

[Strings]

MonitorClassName="Monitor"
Samsung="Samsung"

900pp="Samsung SyncMaster 900p Plus"

Can you see anything wrong in this file? Why is it ignored by Windows during setup? What would be the most simple way to make the whole thing work?

This issue is probably very trivial but I've searched this forum and haven't find any solution so far :(.

Thanks for any replies :).

Can you see anything wrong in this file? Why is it ignored by Windows during setup? What would be the most simple way to make the whole thing work?

This issue is probably very trivial but I've searched this forum and haven't find any solution so far :(.

Thanks for any replies :).

The problem is probably the lack of a signature file (.cat).

Windows will probably install the Standard Monitor if you do not have a signed driver for your Monitor.

OR

Make sure you have your monitor connected using the 15-pin VGA-Connector. If you use a cable with 15-pin VGA on one side and 5*BNC on the other side Windows cannot detect your monitor.

schalti: I don't use BNC connector - only standard VGA on both ends. So it's not the case.

Why Samsung doesn't provide signed drivers for their monitors (or at least, for this model)? Or it does but I'm just unable to find them?

Is it possible to sign these drivers myself and create missing .cat file myself?

Why Samsung doesn't provide signed drivers for their monitors (or at least, for this model)? Or it does but I'm just unable to find them?

Is it possible to sign these drivers myself and create missing .cat file myself?

Driver Signing is a quite complicated process. As a manufacturer you have to sign the driver with your signature and then upload it with FTP to WHQL (M$ Windows Hardware Quality Labs). Then it will get its second signature from M$.

Since the release of Windows 2003 Server M$ will give its signing tool out to OEMs because WHQL is constantly under stress.

For normal developers and Administrators it is not possible though to get the necessary tools and signatures to be able to sign drivers. Which really sucks biiiig time :realmad: .