Boot DVD >4GB?

Arizon

I have created with EasyBoot ISO file with Windows XP, Knoppix, Partition Magic 8 and it works. File is 1,20GB large so I put in EasyBoot\disk1\ folder named "Programs" and fill it with various programs so that I can get full DVD of >4GB. Make another ISO file 4,02GB large but Windows XP instalation won't work. Without "Programs" folder it works.

Why it wont work with that folder and how to burn DVD with folder "Programs"?

May be bad media. I have had issues like this where if I only use a portion of the disk it works allright but when I use most of the disk it doesn't work. Try burning the disk slower... or different media. I wouldn't think adding a Programs directory to a good disk would cause a problem... unless I'm missing something.

It's not a problem with a media.

When I tried with VirtualPC I've becomed the same problem as I burn DVD.

With EasyBoot I've made Boot.iso and works perfect. Then I put folder Programs so it look like this

C:\EasyBoot\disk1\boot

\ezboot

\KNOPPIX

\wmce... and it works fine,

\PROGRAMS (when I put this folder, I get this:)

post-55190-1117059156_thumb.jpg

I think :whistle: have the solution to your problem, my friend....

In earlier posts...

http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t44698.html

i had boot problems with Virtual PC, VERY Little help.... Untill one day someone mentioned about Deamon Tools... I think you know him.... Alanoll ....

I made deamon tools grap the ISO, then told VPC to use physical drive... works great.

Now, just so i make myself clear.... I HAVE NOT TRYED THIS ON A ISO LARGER THAN 4GB.

If this does work, that will help me out too.... Please let me know. :thumbup

I've made an ISO file that bumps right at the 4.37 gig barrier without any problems.

The problems that may occur is it's a simulation are:

1. Wrong File System. Joliet and UDF are best, however only Joliet is a bootable type.

2. You recieve teh VirtualPC error of the 2MB or 2K multiple thing which is fixed by using a virtual CDrom and have VirtualPC grab that. Daemon Tools is just the freeware alternative then Alcohol 120%, but both work just the same.

To completely avoid this issue, would be to use VMWare as it doesn't have the error.

If it's physical medium:

1. File System like mentioned above.

2. Bad media

3. Burner error. Try burning at a slower speed if possible. Perhaps even a firmware upgrade may solve the problem.

The error you are seeing is virtual PC's ineptitude at dealing with images of "CD's" that aren't CD's. In the case of booting Windows CD's or WinPE CD's, depending on what ISO creator you use there is a different error you can hit at boot time.

I've heard that Virtual PC does not deal with ISO images that are greater that 2 GB in size. Maybe if you try Alcohol 120% to mount the ISO, then run Virtual PC and instruct it to use the virtual DVD drive, maybe you will have more success.

• 2 months later...
Guest ccollomb

Boot images larger than 4GB do not work for me.

1/ I tried many different software to make a virtual image (NERO, CDBurnerXP, etc. ) => SAME RESULT. All discs where burned using Joliet

2/ I tried with Virtual PC and burned disc => Same result

If the exact same data on the disc is less than 4GB everything work perfectly. if not WinXP installer crashes during the initial checks.

It is not a physical disc problem, the data was checked for integrity with byte per byte comparison of all files. AND the problems happen with Virtual PC as well.

I mount the .nrg/.iso image with alcohol on a virtual drive F: which is then used for boot in Virtual PC.

It is not a Virtual PC bug since the exact same behaviour occurs on a physical disk.

Trying with MagicIso makes a different behaviour, the WinXP installer resets the machine both on Virtual PC and in real.

Any idea?

Boot images larger than 4GB do not work for me.

1/ I tried many different software to make a virtual image (NERO, CDBurnerXP, etc. ) => SAME RESULT. All discs where burned using Joliet

2/ I tried with Virtual PC and burned disc => Same result

If the exact same data on the disc is less than 4GB everything work perfectly. if not WinXP installer crashes during the initial checks.

It is not a physical disc problem, the data was checked for integrity with byte per byte comparison of all files. AND the problems happen with Virtual PC as well.

I mount the .nrg/.iso image with alcohol on a virtual drive F: which is then used for boot in Virtual PC.

It is not a Virtual PC bug since the exact same behaviour occurs on a physical disk.

Trying with MagicIso makes a different behaviour, the WinXP installer resets the machine both on Virtual PC and in real.

Any idea?

Hi ccollomb

You must format the partition reserved of saving or burning any file ISO >4GB in NTFS but never in FAT 32 .

FAT 32 don't accept any file ISO>4GB

I hope you resolve this problem soon.

Dr Hoang

Guest ccollomb
You must format the partition reserved of saving or burning any file ISO >4GB in NTFS but never in FAT 32 .

FAT 32 don't accept any file ISO>4GB

Sorry I should have mentionned that. I have only one drive with only one partition and of course it is in NTFS :D

So the problem does not come from this.