BartPE 3.13 + 2003 SP1 Source == No Diskpart?

DaCarez

Hello all, I've been reading here for quite some time but never had a need to post until now. I've tried to build a BartPE from my 2003 Server SP1 source as I don't have access to WinPE 1.6, but Diskpart.exe does not work, giving an error that Disk management services can't complete the operation. As stated in the topic, I'm using PE Builder 3.1.3 and 2003 Server SP1 source. Thank you in advance.

Edit: I should mention that I'm using PXE boot with the resultant image.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem. The boot source does not appear to be relevant as with PXE or CD DISKPART fails with PE built from 2003SP1 but works fine if I go back to an older PE built with 2003 release files.

Currently I am working around it - using the WinPE 1.6 files to do the PXE bit with ramdisk and then having the full PE .iso as the old one so I get the PXE booting and can still use DISKPART. However it would be nice to know a fix if anyone can work out what's changed. I tried runnning the older DISKPART.EXE on the newer PE but the problem remains.

I don't have this problem. I'm using WinPE 1.6 with Win2k3 SP1 source, and the diskpart works fine. I havn't tried it with BartsPE, so couldn't say about that. This is with CD's and PXE.

I found the solution over at 911cd.net. If crossposting like that is frowned upon, I apologize. Anyway, the solution is to enable RpcSS DComLaunch when building Win2K3 SP1 BartPE. In addition, the DcomLaunch.Inf file needs to be modified in that Addreg.2600 section needs to be copied and made into an Addreg.3790 section (just change the section name).

Thanks for your replies ;)

I have made some progress. After enabling the RPCSS DCOMLaunch plugin and altering the DCOMLaunch.INF I have a 2003SP1 BartPE that now allows me to start DISKPART, list disk information, clean disks, create an extended partition etc. but when I attempt to create a primary partition I get the "disk management serice cannot complete..." error again.

Currently I am only working on a VMWare 5 machine so may try some physical hardware and also a vanilla WinPE 1.6 image instead of BartPE. Still it is strange that the older BartPE built from Win2003 (no SP) is still working fine.

• 2 months later...

Normally I use Diskpart with diskpart.txt. This time I tried using diskpart manually --> Open CMD after Barte PE started up --> diskpart --> select disk0 --> clean --> create partition primary Size=4000. At this point "disk management serice cannot complete..." error