WPA - A little help here....

sIn_maxo

I had this problem when I was setting up my latest tower. I was having issues with defective components and ended up re-installing the os several times within 3-4 days.

I solved the problem by just running through the activation process. I don't believe it even connects to the internet. This method has never failed me. Copy the WPA files back to the system32 directory in safe mode, reboot and run through the online activation.

Weee...Yes it works fine! :D

I just replaced the wpa.dll, and ran the activation process....

It just checks if theres an active connection, but it doesnt access the web.

Its really quick to say "Thank You. Your activation was succefull" :w00t:

Thks dude's :hello:

Nlite is a great program. Perhaps, and this is a suggestion, that Nlite, could create the $oem$ folders. This way the user can choose applications that he wants to install as well as import custom themes, etc. Another thought, since windows generates two files once your windows is activated. They are WPA.dbl and WPA.bak. Nlite could create the following folder.

$oem$\$$\system32

The two files would be copied from your previous installation.

These files should be theoritically copied during the installation, thus eliminating the need to reactivate windows.

Has, anyone tried this. Not sure if it will work, but it sounds reasonable.

You know that wpa.dbl is not a way to re-activate windows because everytime you install windows, windows create a registry about the hradware you got and everytime that happens is an ID diferent. WPA just got the the registry of the first installation that was activated with a ID.

• 1 year later...
I had this problem when I was setting up my latest tower. I was having issues with defective components and ended up re-installing the os several times within 3-4 days.

I solved the problem by just running through the activation process. I don't believe it even connects to the internet. This method has never failed me. Copy the WPA files back to the system32 directory in safe mode, reboot and run through the online activation.

Weee...Yes it works fine! :D

I just replaced the wpa.dll, and ran the activation process....

It just checks if theres an active connection, but it doesnt access the web.

Its really quick to say "Thank You. Your activation was succefull" :w00t:

Thks dude's :hello:

This thread was a HUGE help - just a little further info for anyone else facing the same problems....

After copying your WPA files, You DO need an active internet connection to re-activate - I tried several times without an internet connection and it wouldn't work

Here are detailed steps....

I was actually doing a dual-boot setup - installing Windows XP twice on one harddrive - one is for normal office work, the other installation for audio recording

I installed the first win xp, then used the same disc to install the OS again on a different partition.

I booted into the first installation & activated it, then copied the WPA.bak & WPA.dbl files from \Windows\system32 into the system32 folder on the second partition

When I restarted and booted in to the second partition, the error message came up saying that I needed to activate before i could use it - I clicked "No" - then I was able to start Windows and logon - then I installed my Ethernet drivers & reran the 'Activate Windows' program from the start menu - it took about 2 seconds & worked!

--bp

• 6 months later...

I tried the "wpa.dbl" "wpa.bak" workaround, 'tis nothing but a exercise in wasting time.

No doubt the above files do play a part in the Activation/Activated process,

but there must also be a required Registry Setting.

I did a System-state restore (Retrospect), no file copy, XP remained un-Activated.

Copied the above two files, from Recovery Console, XP remained un-Activated.

I say this as I have had to Activate via Phone, as my allocated/permitted number of Activations is now -2.

(About to do the phone thingy again).

Microsoft Staff have no problems (I was informed) regarding Activation, no matter how many times.

I did mention that Symantec will simply reset their database, allowing auto-activation again for the allowed number of Activations.

Phone Activation can be done without talking to a human, as long as you do not enter any incorrect (phone) key-presses.

Why the sequence has to be over +35 digits is beyond me.

I must/will try a "wpa.*" + System-state restore (Retrospect) and see if that works.

The comment elsewhere in this subject that Activation process does not contact Microsoft Servers is incorrect.

I tried the "wpa.dbl" "wpa.bak" workaround, 'tis nothing but a exercise in wasting time.

No doubt the above files do play a part in the Activation/Activated process,

but there must also be a required Registry Setting.

I did a "Registry and System State" restore (Retrospect), no file copy, XP remained un-Activated.

Copied the above two files, from Recovery Console, XP remained un-Activated.

I say this as I have had to Activate via Phone, as my allocated/permitted number of Activations is now -2.

(About to do the phone thingy again).

Microsoft Staff have no problems (I was informed) regarding Activation, no matter how many times.

I did mention that Symantec will simply reset their database, allowing auto-activation again for the allowed number of Activations.

Phone Activation can be done without talking to a human, as long as you do not enter any incorrect (phone) key-presses.

Why the sequence has to be over +35 digits is beyond me.

I must/will try a "wpa.*" + System-state restore (Retrospect) and see if that works.

The comment elsewhere in this subject that Activation process does not contact Microsoft Servers is incorrect.

I did a "Registry and System State" restore (using Retrospect V7.5) and on reboot, started "Recovery Console", replaced "wpa.dbl" "wpa.bak" with the correct versions (from my last Backup). Exited "Recovery Console" and on next login, Windows was (already) re-Activated.

Please note that this will only work if you are doing a re-install to the same System, and you have not made drastic changes to your System since your last Backup, (else Windows XP will spit the dummy and demand re-Activation).

Comment: I did not want to replace any other files as my previous Installation (which I did have a Backup of, and used for above steps) was not perfect.

This would also be a fantastic way to freshen your installation (after using HFSLIP and/or nLite).

As the "wpa.*" idea helped me, I hope that this will help others. (... and now I don't need to do the phone thingy).

Edited by jda-au

• 5 weeks later...

This really should not be in the nLite subject forum, but anyway...

As per "Windows XP Activation" - before you destroy your OS:

Grab/save a copy of "wpa.dbl" from %SystemRoot%\System32\

(size can vary from 3kb to +14kb each)

Some information removed/deleted, as was incorrect, my sincerest apologies.

Please note: This subject continues here... Please click me... :whistle:

Edited by jda-au

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Nlite is a great program. Perhaps, and this is a suggestion, that Nlite, could create the $oem$ folders. This way the user can choose applications that he wants to install as well as import custom themes, etc. Another thought, since windows generates two files once your windows is activated. They are WPA.dbl and WPA.bak. Nlite could create the following folder.

$oem$\$$\system32

The two files would be copied from your previous installation.

These files should be theoritically copied during the installation, thus eliminating the need to reactivate windows.

Has, anyone tried this. Not sure if it will work, but it sounds reasonable.

I'm trying on a VM... it doesn't work for the moment...