WPA - A little help here....

sIn_maxo

Hi! I know a guy that has Windows XP Home SP2 (Genuine), and he asked me if there were any problems in formating his HDD, reinstalling WindowsXP and replacing the WPA.dll in system32 folder, so he could keep his OS registered. B)

I used RockXP to save the wpa.dll, formated his hdd, and replaced the wpa.dll succesfully but....the activation reminder keeps apearing...why?

Do I need to speak with Microsoft again and explain my problem? :}

Is it legal to nlite it and replace the wpa.dll nomally? :rolleyes:

Thks, and sorry if his the wrong forum.. ^_^

1) hmm.. patching files so you don't have to activate windows is not exactly legal..

So, yes, you must contact microsoft again so that they can give you some sort of advice for your problem..

Or you can use Google to find a solution :P

2) yes, this is the wrong forum to ask questions like that.. :P

:hello:

1) hmm.. patching files so you don't have to activate windows is not exactly legal..

So, yes, you must contact microsoft again so that they can give you some sort of advice for your problem.. 

Or you can use Google to find a solution :P

2) yes, this is the wrong forum to ask questions like that..  :P

:hello:

He's paid for his Windows, so why would activation be necessary? In my country, and in most countries worldwide, the buyer has certain rights that must be protected. Therefore it should be encouraged to fix the problem. It's legally and morally correct not to activate unless you're in a country where consumers have no rights.

omg....So i have to call to MS to reactivate my WinXp?

Humm....do they accept that?

This activation stuff should be a little more "flexible" to proven genuine users... :realmad:

I hope it improves with Longhorn. :D

So, ppl do u know any more solutions? :huh:

I really need some help here.....well i have 29 days to register, so i will be waiting...LOL!! :w00t:

Hey,don´t you know there was a file named reset5 ?

This is just an aplication that activate windows xp,i got it,send me an email and i´ll send you that.

You can activate by thelephone,it´s the better way because everytime you format a machine,you just insert code of activation and activate, this is an adventaje of "cavernarium activation"

Note: run it on safemode(F8 before OS be loaded) execute it and it´s all about,now you got a activated OS.

@nospek

Reset5 doesn't activate your windows xp , it just resets the activation period so xp stays active.

The thing that some ppl don't like about it is that it's run every boot of xp , another exe to load up on boot and consume memory (even though it's a very min amount of memory that's used). Not a very clean way to keep xp activated IMHO.

Yes this is legal, As per M$ reps.

I saw something about this in the microsoft XP pro english forums just last Tuesday. Here it is.

When you activate Windows XP, Microsoft stores the data in the Windows Product Activation database files wpa.dbl and Wpa.bak in the folder %systemroot%\system32. If you change the motherboard or make significant hardware changes, XP will require you to reactive. But if you plan to reinstall XP on the same hardware, you can back up the activation status and then restore it after you reinstall and avoid the activation process. You can backup the Windows Product Activation database files to diskette. They are very small. A directory listing from my XP Pro workstation:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dir wp*

Volume in drive C has no label.

Volume Serial Number is 8447-0571

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\system32

10/24/2001  08:28 PM            12,584 wpa.bak

01/14/2002  09:05 AM            12,642 wpa.dbl

After you reinstall XP, to restore the Windows Product Activation database files:

Start XP to Minimal Safe mode

Change directory to the \%systemroot%\system32 folder

Rename the newly created wpa.dbl to wpa.nonactivated and wpa.bak, if it exists, to wpabak.nonactivated.

Copy your backed up wpa.dbl and wpb.bak files to the system32 folder

Reboot

And btw Reset5 and programs like it that reset the activation period are not legal.

And btw Reset5 and programs like it that reset the activation period are not legal.

Agreed, and any post of asking to obtain or any attachment will be removed and poster possibly banned. Any questions why, please read the forum rules.