137GB limit - ESDI_506.PDR and other limits

Version 1.0 is now available.

Edit: 136th reply to this thread... how ironic :lol:

YAY!!! :D

I have tested the patched esdi_506.pdr files from ME48BLBA.EXE and 9848BLBA.EXE under my neighbor's Win98fe PC and my WinME PC and so far no problems.

now i just need to test the other esdi_506.pdr file from 48BITLBA.EXE under Win98se.

also LLXX can you add 48bit LBA support under version 4.10.2226 of the esdi_506.pdr file?

Edited by erpdude8

Version 1.0 is now available.

Edit: 136th reply to this thread... how ironic :lol:

YAY!!! :D

I have tested the patched esdi_506.pdr files from ME48BLBA.EXE and 9848BLBA.EXE under my neighbor's Win98fe PC and my WinME PC and so far no problems.

now i just need to test the other esdi_506.pdr file from 48BITLBA.EXE under Win98se.

also LLXX can you add 48bit LBA support under version 4.10.2226 of the esdi_506.pdr file?

done. 48bit LBA esdi_506.pdr file from 48BITLBA.EXE for Win98se works on small HDs.

I even used esdi_506.pdr file 4.10.2226 from Q252187 on my old NEC computer with Win98se and the machine never locked up.

• 5 months later...
Windows 98/SE/ME does not support SATA disk controller contained in Intel chipset (ICH5, ICH6, ICH7 southbridges) - yellow exclamation mark appears next to the IDE controller icon and maybe the ESDI_506.PDR modification could be very small?

Petr

I think there are win-98 drivers for ICH5 (but not ICH6 and higher, as you say).

I think ICH6 is where PCI-express begins... ?

I'm reading this thread because I'm currently fooling around with a 160 gb SATA drive connected to a Gigabyte 8KNXP and find that it works so far - in DOS. Will be installing 98se on it soon.

Have used Seagate DiskWizard software to create a single fat-32 partition with 4kb cluster size.

You won't need an ESDI_506.PDR patch for SATA drives. They use their own driver, not the Microsoft driver. We could always use large hard drives of the SATA variety on 9x as long as the BIOS supports them.

I ran a 250 GB Maxtor Sata hard drive with one big FAT32 partition and Windows 98SE. All that was needed was the Via Hyperion with the Via Sata/Raid driver (no Raid used but the driver includes it).

Windows installs fine and puts the hard drive into Dos Compatibility Mode. After installing the Via Hyperion Pro drivers that changes to "Your system is configured for optimal performance."

You do need to have your bios SATA setting set to Raid mode, not IDE mode and have the Sata/Raid Bios set to enabled (just don't setup a Raid configuration). On Windows XP I could set mine to IDE Mode and have the Sata Bios off, then install the newer Via IDE Sata Hot Plug driver (the Hyperion's install it too, only one version behind so after that's installed you update to the newer one). But 9x needs the Sata/Raid mode instead.

Oh, and you can uncheck the configuration utility if you're not using a Raid setup. It just installs a systray icon and a TSR that sometimes errors on startup. Don't need it if you're not using Raid.

I used Norton Utilities 2002 for its Disk Doctor and SpeedDisk to replace Scandisk and Disk Defragmentor as I didn't trust those to be compatible with the large hard drive.

I have no idea whether this also pertains to chipsets other than Via though.

Change first and second IDE controller in devicemanager to the windows default. Reboot.

Then remove the Via Bus master IDE controller from the devicemanager. After reboot the windows default drivers are installed. Now you can reinstall the normal Via 4in1 (Hyperion) drivers without the IDE miniport 3.20b. This solved all my issues like no smart, no Nero and stupid drive id as SCSI.

OH! noguru, I did the same as you! I used the Miniport 3.20b and had bad optical drive results. Can you please explain how to change the IDE controllers to the Windows default? Also, I presume you used the v4.43 of the Hyperion drivers that is on page:

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageI...&CatID=1070

If you were updating for 48-bit LBA today, would you still go this route? Or would you use one of the other solutions detailed in these messages?

Thanks for your reply.

That Via IDE driver does NOT update 9x to support 48 bit LBA, regardless of what some of the guru's on the ViaArena forums preach. It is only useful on Windows 2000 systems using a Via 686B Southbridge chipset. Really. And it also messes up cd drive access. About the only benefit it really had was fixing zip drive problems on those 686B chipsets.

Yeah, it is hard to remove but you may be successful if you uninstall it AND remove the IDE controller from device manager as stated above. If the proper Microsoft driver is then installed after Windows restarts, then you can proceed to install the Via 4-in-1.

The solution to 48bit LBA is the ESDI_506.PDR patch either from LLXX or the auto installer that MDGx links to. I'd use the auto-installer. I like the way that version leaves the GUI buttons in the Close Program box alone. Not sure what else is different.

That Via IDE driver does NOT update 9x to support 48 bit LBA

Yes it does! That's what I got it for and it works fine.

And it also messes up cd drive access.
That is correct. It's why I want to switch.
Yeah, it is hard to remove but you may be successful if you uninstall it AND remove the IDE controller from device manager as stated above. If the proper Microsoft driver is then installed after Windows restarts, then you can proceed to install the Via 4-in-1.

Sad to say, that which is stated above is insufficiently informative for me to attempt the (manual) uninstall.

The solution to 48bit LBA is the ESDI_506.PDR patch either from LLXX or the auto installer that MDGx links to. I'd use the auto-installer. I like the way that version leaves the GUI buttons in the Close Program box alone. Not sure what else is different.

A couple hours ago, I switched away from this message to look for the auto-installer. Here I am, couple hours later, didn't find it! :no:

I did DL one of LLXX's *8* files. It was 4102222F.ZIP. Is that the one to use? I don't know! How does one know?

Also, I've DL'd the BHDD 2.0 collection of files. Is that the one to use? I don't know! It does appear to be comprehensive.

That Via IDE driver does NOT update 9x to support 48 bit LBA, regardless of what some of the guru's on the ViaArena forums preach. It is only useful on Windows 2000 systems using a Via 686B Southbridge chipset. Really. And it also messes up cd drive access. About the only benefit it really had was fixing zip drive problems on those 686B chipsets.

That's exactly what I tried first but on my system the Via driver came back after reboot, not the proper Microsoft driver. So then I changed the 1st and 2nd IDE controller in devicemanager --> properties with the default windows drivers manually. I left the VIA busmaster driver alone for now and rebooted. After that I removed the Via driver and now windows did instal his own driver after reboot. I don't know why this worked, I just tried many things because I had to get rid of this via miniport driver. Perhaps the fact that I manually reinstalled Microsoft drivers instead of removing the Via driver and let windows sort it out is the trick.

@malcom0, perhaps this and the other tips here help you. I hope so but I read a lot of different things about it also on the Viaarena forum. One way or another, you can get rid of these drivers.

While in DOS, replace the existing ESDI_506.PDR with one of my fixed files, matching the same version.

It's that easy.

Or it would be if my system were actually using ESDI_506.PDR, but it's not. It's using the bad VIA driver. I need to make it stop doing that before I can apply a different solution.

Thanks, LLXX.

That's exactly what I tried first but on my system the Via driver came back after reboot, not the proper Microsoft driver.

Actually, he's referring to YOUR message above. But because there's no real threading here, it's less than clear. (Web forums are SO much worse than newsgroups.)

So then I changed the 1st and 2nd IDE controller in devicemanager --> properties with the default windows drivers manually.

But you didn't say HOW, which is what I specifically asked you. So here's what I'm gonna do...

In Device Manager, choose Driver tab, click Update Driver. Hit Next. Choose "Display a list of all the drivers..." and hit Next. The first choice shows "PBM IDE controller (6-19-2003)" all by itself. I'm pretty sure that's the bad VIA driver so I hit "Show all hardware". THIS IS WHERE THE QUANDARY LIVES. Do I select "Standard Hard Disk Drivers" on the left and one of the *4* drivers on the right? (I _know_ the 5th is wrong, but I don't know which (if any) of the first 4 is right.) OR do I choose "Via Tech" on the left and one of the two on the right (presumably the one that has Microsoft in parentheses after it). Because see, NONE of the manufacturers are "Microsoft". None say ESDI_506.PDR.

Right now, I'm leaning toward choosing the Via Tech/Microsoft combo. I'll probably have tried that before anyone reads this because I've been wrangling this big disk problem since the end of August! If it fails, well, my next post may have to be done from the Mac!

@malcom0, perhaps this and the other tips here help you. I hope so but I read a lot of different things about it also on the Viaarena forum.

It's probably ME you're reading on the ViaArena forum. :} Also, I've used MalcolmO online for almost 20 years now. I'm really wondering why it's just been in the last year or so that people are copying it with the number zero instead of the letter O. I'm trying not to develop an inferiority complex. :)

But you didn't say HOW, which is what I specifically asked you. So here's what I'm gonna do...

In Device Manager, choose Driver tab, click Update Driver. Hit Next. Choose "Display a list of all the drivers..." and hit Next. The first choice shows "PBM IDE controller (6-19-2003)" all by itself. I'm pretty sure that's the bad VIA driver so I hit "Show all hardware". THIS IS WHERE THE QUANDARY LIVES. Do I select "Standard Hard Disk Drivers" on the left and one of the *4* drivers on the right? (I _know_ the 5th is wrong, but I don't know which (if any) of the first 4 is right.) OR do I choose "Via Tech" on the left and one of the two on the right (presumably the one that has Microsoft in parentheses after it). Because see, NONE of the manufacturers are "Microsoft". None say ESDI_506.PDR.

It's a long time ago but i'm sure that I choose "Standard Hard Disk Drivers". On the right I have more than 5 options, most of them obscure and certainly wrong. I can choose between "standard bus mastering IDE-controller" or "standard dual PCI IDE controller". I'm not 100% sure anymore but I think I choose the first. You could try them both.

Other option to force the install of the standard windows drivers is to go to c:\windows\inf and look for mshdc.inf (not viavsd.inf, those are "good" windows drivers for the via chipsets but at this moment you want to get rid of as much "via" as you can). Then rightclick and choose "install".

Good luck!

It's a long time ago but i'm sure that I choose "Standard Hard Disk Drivers". On the right I have more than 5 options, most of them obscure and certainly wrong. I can choose between "standard bus mastering IDE-controller" or "standard dual PCI IDE controller". I'm not 100% sure anymore but I think I choose the first. You could try them both.

Well, as it happened. I did choose the VIA Tech and the one that said (Microsoft). THIS IS ABSOLUTELY THE WRONG THING TO DO! And I don't get to try anything else. The result is absolutely hilarious. When you turn the machine on, it goes through its full startup sequence and then states: It is now safe to turn off your computer. :( Absolutely hilarious! So yeah, I am typing this on the Mac.

Other option to force the install of the standard windows drivers is to go to c:\windows\inf and look for mshdc.inf (not viavsd.inf, those are "good" windows drivers for the via chipsets but at this moment you want to get rid of as much "via" as you can). Then rightclick and choose "install".

Good luck!

The other hilarious thing is that in MSHDC.INF the (Microsoft) VIA driver has IDE_BAD in its line! The machine will start in Safe Mode (if I manage to type the F8 at the right time) so I'll try the right-click install in Safe Mode.

Oddly, in Safe Mode the Primary and Secondary controller drivers now say ESDI_506.PDR but I can't delete the VIA Bus Mastering entry. It says I need to delete its parent device first.