Windows95

I admit I was part of the 1st line of customers at Office Depot on August 15 1995 [early AM] to get the Windows 95 CD the day it came out. :)

10 years later I'm still running the "beefed up" Win9x OS [98SE + SP 2.0.1 + 98SE2ME + 98SE2XP (private project) + 98SE22K3 (private project)] + XP SP2 in separate partition + Knoppix 3.6 Linux distro.

Never had to reinstall any OS "fresh" [from scratch], never reformatted any of my HDs [had ~ 6 in 10 years = always use 2 HDs at the same time, sometimes in RAID 1+0]:

- 1995: upgraded from 95 retail (FE) to OSR1 [95 SP1 fix]

- 1995: purchased Plus! for 95 CD

- 1996: upgraded to OSR 2.0 [purchased 95B OSR 2.0 OEM CD]

- 1996: started my 1st web site :blink:

- 1996: upgraded to OSR 2.1 [usbsupp fix]

- 1997: upgraded to OSR 2.5 [purchased 95C OSR 2.5 OEM CD]

- 1997: purchased MSDN training kit: WinNT4 Server CD + SQL Server for NT4 CD

- 1998: upgraded to 98 retail (FE) [purchased upgrade 98 FE CD = was $40]

- 1998: purchased Plus! for 98 CD

- 1999: upgraded to 98 SP1 [Y2K, Y2K2, IE4 + OE4 fixes]

- 1999: upgraded to 98 SE [purchased 98 SE Updates CD = was $20]

- 2000: MSDN training kit deal got me free Win2000 Server CD + SQL Server 2000 CD

- 2000: upgraded to ME [purchased ME Updates CD = was $20]

- 2001: upgraded to XP OEM [purchased XP OEM CD for cheap bundled with $1 power cable :)]

- 2001: purchased Plus! for XP CD

- 2001: installed Mandrake Linux - didn't like it: uninstalled

- 2002: upgraded to XP SP1 fix

- 2003: upgraded to XP SP1a fix

- 2003: purchased Plus! XP Digital Media Edition

- 2003: installed trial of 2003 Server CD - didn't like it: uninstalled

- 2003: installed Knoppix Linux 3.3

- 2004: upgraded to XP SP2 fix

- 2004: installed Knoppix Linux 3.4

- 2005: upgraded to 2003 Server SP1 fix - didn't like it: uninstalled

- 2005: installed Knoppix Linux 3.6

- 2005: got free XP Pro 64-bit trial CD

- 2005: got free XP Pro 64-bit CD from MS upgrade program

... and once in a blue moon I'm still using Windows for WorkGroups 3.11 + MS-DOS 6.22, which I installed way back in 1993. :)

Never tried NT 3.0, 3.1, 3.5 or 3.51.

Also tried at some point in time: DR-DOS, IBM-DOS, OS/2, Novell DOS, FreeDOS, BeOS 5.0 + various Linux distros: Corel, Red Hat, TurboLinux, Ubuntu, Lindows (Linspire).

Never used any other MS software except OSes + Plus! packs.

Wrote my own history - didn't like it: deleted :D

98SE2XP (private project) + 98SE22K3 (private project)
Anything special? :unsure:

Even Office?! <_<

98SE2XP (private project) + 98SE22K3 (private project)
Anything special?
Most of these files are posted here [the XP SP2 project]:

http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm#KRM9S

and some included in this patch [the 2003 SP1 project]:

http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#HHU

Right now I'm using all files listed at page above from XP SP2 and all files below from 2003 SP1 [complete list includes XP SP2 files]:

%windir%:

from XP SP2:

EXTRAC32.EXE

from 2003 SP1:

HH.EXE

%windir%\FONTS:

from 2003 SP1:

ARIAL.TTF

ARIALBD.TTF

ARIALBI.TTF

ARIALI.TTF

COUR.TTF

COURBD.TTF

COURBI.TTF

COURI.TTF

GEORGIA.TTF

GEORGIAB.TTF

GEORGIAI.TTF

GEORGIAZ.TTF

MICROSS.TTF

TAHOMA.TTF

TAHOMABD.TTF

TIMES.TTF

TIMESBD.TTF

TIMESBI.TTF

TIMESI.TTF

VERDANA.TTF

VERDANAB.TTF

VERDANAI.TTF

VERDANAZ.TTF

from XP SP2:

COMIC.TTF

KARTIKA.TTF

LSANS.TTF

LSANSD.TTF

LSANSDI.TTF

LSANSI.TTF

TREBUC.TTF

VRINDA.TTF

%windir%\SYSTEM:

from 2003 SP1:

HHCTRL.OCX

HHSETUP.DLL

ITIRCL.DLL

ITSS.DLL

MSHTML.TLB

MSHTMLED.DLL

MSHTMLER.DLL

RICHED20.DLL

USP10.DLL

from XP SP2:

L3CODECA.ACM

WMV8DS32.AX

WMVDS32.AX

ADVPACK.DLL

ASFERROR.DLL

BROWSELC.DLL

CABINET.DLL

MSPMSP.DLL

MSSCP.DLL

MSWMDM.DLL

PNGFILT.DLL

SHDOCLC.DLL

SQLSRV32.DLL

WMDMLOG.DLL

WMDMPS.DLL

WMERROR.DLL

WMPASF.DLL

WMPCD.DLL

WMPCORE.DLL

WMPDXM.DLL

WMPLOC.DLL

WMPNS.DLL

WMPSHELL.DLL

WMPUI.DLL

WMSDMOE.DLL

WMSTREAM.DLL

ASCTRLS.OCX

WMP.OCX

AMCOMPAT.TLB

NSCOMPAT.TLB

Even Office?!
Especially Office. ;)

Umm, Gag, Cough. All that and never formatted?

I am not worthy!!! I am not worthy!!!

Yeah but, what about after you updated to Windows Me? Um (still gaging in respectful shock), didn't you need to format when you went back to 98SE? Are you saying you also successfully uninstalled Windows Me? And you now have installed all these updates to 98SE and everything still runs great?

If so, you are a Windows G_D!

Umm, Gag, Cough.  All that and never formatted?

I am not worthy!!! I am not worthy!!!

Yeah but, what about after you updated to Windows Me?  Um (still gaging in respectful shock), didn't you need to format when you went back to 98SE?  Are you saying you also successfully uninstalled Windows Me?  And you now have installed all these updates to 98SE and everything still runs great?

If so, you are a Windows G_D!

Naaah... I just try different stuff 1st.

If I recall correctly, after I installed ME, all I had to do was open File Manager, copy all 98SE boot files [from backup] back to C:\ root, to overwrite the ME ones [COMMAND.COM, IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, WINBOOT.INI, AUTOEXEC.BAT + CONFIG.SYS], and then hit the reset button on the PC case.

If u care to know about winboot.ini:

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip16.htm#WBINI

or msdos.sys:

http://www.mdgx.com/msdos.htm

I need to mention I don't keep HIMEM.SYS, IFSHLP.SYS, EMM386.EXE, MSCDEX.EXE, SMARTDRV.EXE and whatever other memory managers/drivers/tools in %windir% or %windir%\COMMAND, but moved them all to C:\MAX. Ans I don't keep COMMAND.COM in %windir%, but moved it to C:\ root and made reference of it in my config.sys:

SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /E:1024 /P /F

My boot files:

http://www.mdgx.com/mem7.htm

One of my [not so well kept ;)] secrets is that I boot to native MS-DOS, and only after that I start 98SE GUI from a separate batch file [C:\WIN.BAT].

If u care to know about WIN.BAT:

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip13.htm#BT2DOS

So, after rebooting with 98SE boot files in C:\ root, all I had to do was to rename the ME directory [C:\WME] to something else [like C:\WMEBK], and then rename the backed up [this is the key word: backed up] 98SE dir [C:\W98BK] back to C:\W98.

Then I moved WMEBK + "Program Files" to another hard disk, so I can restore it anytime by copying it back to C [from Windows Explorer or a dedicated batch file].

This way I keep separate copies of 98 FE, 98 SE, ME + XP on D.

Sorry, forgot to mention I renamed 98SE "C:\Program Files" to "C:\PROGRAMS".

Got tired of and deleted 95 OSR1, 95C OSR2.5, NT4, 2000 + 2003 a while back.

Last step: ran WIN.BAT from C:\ root [hint: C:\ root is added to my PATH statement in config.sys] to get into the 98SE GUI.

Oh, I almost forgot:

I keep all DOS based tools I need for file/dir operations in a separate dir [C:\MAX], and those tools are all MS-DOS revision "neutral": this means they are not from either MS-DOS 7.10 [a.k.a. Win98/98SE] nor MS-DOS 8.0 [a.k.a. WinME] which are all "locked" onto the specific release they are from [unless u use setver.exe, which is very primitive, and won't let u use newer tools with older MS-DOS releases], but freebies, most of them part of FreeDOS:

http://www.freedos.org/freedos/software/

and most of which are linked here:

http://www.mdgx.com/dos.htm

If u've seen the "FREE TOOLS" chapter from 98SE2ME READ1ST.TXT:

http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/READ1ST.TXT

u know what I mean. B)

This allows me to copy/move/rename/etc files/dirs around independent of Win9x or MS-DOS release.

TIP:

To install any Win9x/ME release even if it won't let u install any older 1 from within Windows GUI, all u need to do is:

- exit Windows GUI to native MS-DOS or

- reboot to native MS-DOS,

and then install from there, because all Win9x setup CDs have a DOS based version of SETUP.EXE:

http://www.mdgx.com/last2.htm#SETUPSW

Of course, u need a CD/DVD driver in config.sys + mscdex [or similar]:

http://www.mdgx.com/drv.htm#CDR

also here:

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip1.htm#CDROM4

in autoexec.bat or config.sys so your PC can "see" your CD/DVD drive(s), unless u have copied all CABs on your HD [like I did].

BTW: Most of this stuff is posted at my site [list of all tips]:

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip.htm

That's it.

Just try different stuff. I thought that's what I did. I guess there are some things you can't learn from a Jedi.

Thanks, Darth MDGx.

Sorcery man, that's Windows Sith stuff.

See the movie yet?

I've seen Ep III 2 times already, the 1st time at the premiere: Thursday 12:01 am. B)

Had to stay 2 1/2 hours in line to get decent seats thou.

Liked it way better than I + II.

But I gotta say IV, V + VI are still the best IMHO.

My favorites:

1. VI

2. IV

3. V

4. III

5. I

6. II

You?

May the Force be with you. :D

Staying on topic doesn't apply.

Yeah, man I love those flicks.

3, 5, 4, 6, 1, 2 is my order of preference.

I went first to a Friday matinee with some friends, then to a Monday matinee myself. I'll try to hold off now for the eventual DVD but that'll be hard since you see it's my favorite. It was nice to have only a few people in the theatre since they were weekday afternoon's. I had a hard enough time getting my friends to shut up! Monday was nice and absorbing by myself and just a few like minded moviegoer's in the audience.

I also enjoyed 1 and 2, only something has to finish last!

The three best acting roles have got to be Palpitine, R2D2, and Darth Vader (costumed). That little guy in the R2D2 contraption always plays the hero! Best acting jobs were Ian McDiarmid and Harrison Ford. Han Solo was such a cool character.

I don't know. Between Lord Of the Rings and Star Wars I hardly feel the urge to watch anything else! (Is there anything else?)

Just kidding. But these 2 masterpieces are hard to beat. And as far as the goofy, silly parts in the 1st 2 SW films, life is full of goofy sillyness at times. There's a Jar-Jar in every crowd. Kind of wish he wasn't so gullable as to fall right in to giving Palpitine exactly what he wanted, but even the Jedi were fooled by him. Kind of liked the suspicious look Yoda gave him in the meeting where Obi-Wan was assigned to protect her in 2 though. He noticed that Palpitine knew exactly what Padme was going to say, word for word. Force like premonition, eh?

I remember purchasing my first PC with MS-DOS 6.22 & Windows 3.11 for Workgroups. It was fun. I was clueless. I didn't know what a folder was. Slowly, but steady I began to learn MS-DOS commands and it was fun. Win3.11 was a bit tricky for me, but I managed everything I needed in MS-DOS & NC. Then I bought a license for Win95OSR2 and more fun came along. Then Win98SE arrived on my PC and was love @ first sight. :D

Never had a BSOD in Win95OSR-2 and Win98SE.

Then WinXP Pro arrived on my old trusty PC, but the motherboard wasn't supported so, I've seen a couple of BSODs. I was excited. My first BSOD. My friends were complaining about BSOD, but for me it was a mistery until WinXP.

So, I bought a new PC and Win2k3 came out. I was curious. I've searched the net about Win2k3 reviews and I liked it. So I bought Win2k3EE. It's awesome. And now with SP1 (I really don't need it, but if it's free :D) everything is wonderful.

Microsoft has done a very good job with Win2k3. :thumbup

:D never tryed 2k3 but my first pc experience was watching a buddy install by disk 13 of them win 95 and he had a beavis and butt head screensaver at first he used it to play cds which i thought was cool cause he never had a cd player .i had win 98 then a friend installed 98se and wow .today i run xp pro sp2 and ill tell ya no bsod 4 me and very little spyware.when i had xp home on it 2001 man i got major spyware and them dam gray messenger popups .microsoft come a long way and now i hear eiger a stripped down version of xp geared 2 run on older pcs is on the way novel idea. but i will always remember the win 95 disk install and seeing the windows is loading 4 the first time logo .

[rant]

Cool stuff, Eck. B)

Darth Sidious:

Lord Vader...

Darth Vader:

Yes, my Master?

Darth Sidious:

RRRRRISSSSSE!

Bitchin...

What bothered me most in ep 3 was Hayden Christensen's acting skills [or the lack of ;)]. He got his act together a little better than in ep 1 + 2, but still, the same "flat" dialog style.

I've "bumped" into another movie [forgot the name] on HBO he has done since SW saga, I believe was made in 2003, and guess what... same acting style, as "flat" as ever. After watching only his SW movies, I thought his style was part of what George Lucas required him to do to improve his character, but after watching a fragment from his HBO movie, I gotta say, this guy has no acting skillz.

For the good parts thou... I think ep 3 is one of the best among all SW movies.

The plot, the tension, the action, and not even mention the ILM CG effects, are prime quality.

The CG effects [remember the opening battle scene?] I gotta say are [some of] the best + most complex [and hard to do] I've seen so far.

I don't know.  Between Lord Of the Rings and Star Wars I hardly feel the urge to watch anything else!  (Is there anything else?)

Just kidding.  But these 2 masterpieces are hard to beat.

What do u mean?

The Matrix rulez! [the 1st one anyway] :thumbup

And How 'bout Chronicles of Riddick [the sequel to Pitch Black]? I think that's a great sci-fi flic.

And talking about Pitch Black... my favorite TV sci-fi show is [still] Farscape.

And I'm not even going to mention any comic book based sci-fi films... ;)

Have fun.

[/rant] over and out.