XP v 2k video performance question

victoria

After a while of dual booting I have noticed that XP seems to perform markedly worse than 2k in video play back.

1. In XP if I play back an .avi in MPClassic and grab the window with the mouse and drag it around the screen there is a noticeable lag between the window frame and the picture – I’d say about 6-7mm. In 2k there is rock solid concordance between the frame and the picture.

2. If I try the same test with a 15gb video capture file (Pic Video @ 20 _not_ RGB) under XP the picture will stutter and stop playing altogether, soon followed by sound drop-outs as well. Within a few seconds all playback stops until I stop moving the window whereupon playback resumes. In 2k playback and sound keep running perfectly no matter how fast and wide I shake the window around the screen.

3. Playing a large video cap while generating a thumbnail view in explorer will also cause stuttering playback in XP while 2k executes both reasonably smoothly.

Does anyone know what causes this? I have long suspected that XP is not the performer 2k is but I’m wondering if there’s some “trick” I’m missing in XP that will correct bring its video performance up to par? Some issue in how XP displays video to screen perhaps?

As regards the setup of the two systems I have tested extensively and believe I have eliminated the usual suspects:

-new installs of 2ksp4, XP, XPsp1, XPsp2 (all XP installs have exhibited the same issue)

-Radeon 9600 (various catalyst drivers tried on both)

-Abit NF7-s (several nForce drivers have been tried)

-have tried using identical drivers where possible

-the dodgy nForce IDE drivers are _not_ used (though have been tested)

-CPU is an Athlon 2600 backed up by 512m ram

-40g and 160g Seagate 7200 rpm hard drives (OSes on the 40, video files played from the 160)

-DirectX 9c

-Yes, I checked and verified DMA 5 setup on both (full ATA 100)

-Running PCMark 2002 gives identical results in both systems (unless sp2 is installed in XP which seems to kill hard disk scores by 15-20%!)

-tweaking of services has been tried but not made a difference

Sorry for the long post, but I hope someone can help me resolve this.

No, I've tried all that. Turned of themes service and other uneccessary ones, special effect etc. Made XP as lean as I can. Makes no difference to this issue at all. Furthermore Win 2k3 has the same problem. 2k seems to outperform it too.