Enable a disabled service

D8TA

I noticed I have users who are disabling services. I am trying to figure out how to re-enable a disable sevice via the command line. I am going to add this to a login script so everytime a user logs in these services will re-enable, if disabled, and restart or start.

Currently the PCs I manage aren't in a domain environment and that is what I need something from a login script. Hopefully in the near future all these machines will be part of AD.

Which takes me back to my original question, how do I re-enable a disable sevice via the command line. I am going to add this to a login script so everytime a user logs in these services will re-enable, if disabled, and restart or start.

Thanks but I know the net start or sc commands. I keep getting this error message:

C:\>sc \\pc11091-vm config icollectservice start=auto

[sC] OpenSCManager FAILED 1722:

The RPC server is unavailable.

The RPC service is started and running am I missing something?

You can use gpedit on the PC's.

It will give you the same benefit as GPO's in a domain, but you have to apply it on all the PC's seperatly.

Just click start, run, and type gpedit.msc

Here you have all the functions to lock down the PC, but be careful not to shut yourself out of the system.

I am not finding anything on the services??? I have looked through all the tabs within Group Policy, where can I find the area for the services? I have utilized the Group Policy for a few items and deployed through Radia. But that is one issue I have is users are Disabling the Radia services so I am unable to deploy these settings. Thus the need for a login script, everyone needs to log into the network.

I would start by restricting users from controlling services.  IMHO it sounds like you're approaching this backwards.

How would I go about restricting the services within group policy? Your right I am, this would prevent them from doing it again after I have the service started again.

To re-enable a disabled service, you can also use a vbscript (if you're familar with using them). That could be run from command line too. In it you can specify which service you are looking for and check whether it's currently running or stopped. If stopped, then start it. (I can give an example if need be).

To prevent users from stopping the services, then listen to the above postings and lock them down via Policies.

Banditosway, could you give me an example using the service 'icollectservice'

I am looking through the Policies but am not seeing anything that would allow me to specify just certain user(s) can make modification to certain Services.