XP WIfi Error

mikeroq

Ok well my wifi card Dlink, the one they sell at home depot. this is what it does

network1yu.th.png

it shows it disconnected but is connected and the icon wont change and it disconnects every 10 min or so, can anyone help im runnig xp on a hp ze5375us laptop

hers whats it shows when it disconnects

25dx.png

it shows it disconnected but is connected and the icon wont change
seems a little odd - not sure of this.
disconnects every 10 min or so

hmmmm.... i wonder whether your router is renewing the IP address every 10 mins.

Can you post the settting you have regarding DHCP on your router? If your just running a few machines at home and dont really understand IP addresses and so on fully, its best to have it on in the router if possible.

If you look at the setting called Lease Time (names of sections and settings vary from brand to brand bear in mind) - it may be set on 10 minutes. You'll probably want to set it higher to a day or two - even forever maybe.

Also, its pretty important to do the following if your router and wifi card allows, turn on some sort of wireless protection i.e. WEP / WPA (use WPA if you can as it is better than WEP) You never know if someone else may be in range of your network :unsure:

You may also need to update the router's firmware although you may want to try updating the wifi card's drivers first i.e. look up the manufacturers website and see if they have a newer version of the driver/software than you have installed.

Let us know any more info and how you get on.

Regards,

N.

my router renews every like month

cause this just started and it keeps tryingto connect and it does but it acrs wierd

i have encryption (Wpa) but my psp supports wep, so i turned it off to check for the network update

right....

my router renews every like month
Talking about firmware here yes?
cause this just started and it keeps tryingto connect and it does but it acrs wierd

Do you mean that the system has been working fine but recently this has started happening without any (obvious) changes to anything?

If so, its likely to be - from the latest firmware that its installed - or you have spyware/virus on your system.

i have encryption (Wpa) but my psp supports wep, so i turned it off to check for the network update

Cool. Its odd that the PSP doesn't support WPA - being a new device on the scene - but maybe they'll issue a update for that :D

Just have WEP (highest level you can) on then until WPA is avaliable for PSP.

Regards,

N.