98 FE + 98 SE + ME updates + patches + (hot)fixes

-MDGx: re: vb6sp6:

Several of these new files don't already exist at all on my system, so does that mean we need to regsvr em? (just to be safe, I WAS gonna register em all, but it'd be nice to know if it's necessary or not, and if so, do ya need to include that step on your links page? I'll hold off 'til u say yea or nay...)

:edit: -? and a couple of these files have exactly the same version #'s in all places, yet different dates and slightly (1k) different sizes... ?

-thx again,

your humble and unworthy follower PsycoUnc >;]

Edited by PsycoUnc

Several of these new files don't already exist at all on my system, so does that mean we need to regsvr em?

To my (limited) knowledge, most of MS runtimes are self registering. They register themselves as soon as they are called upon by an app. For those who don't self register, you'll usually get a specific error message aying the app cannot find such or such file. So far I have noticed that problem with one single MS runtime file : MSSTDFM.DLL.

Here are a few handy context menu entries that I am using to register/unregister COM components :

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell\Register]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell\Register\command]
@ = "regsvr32.exe \"%L\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell\UnRegister]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell\UnRegister\command]
@ = "regsvr32.exe /u \"%L\""

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ocxfile\shell\Register]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ocxfile\shell\Register\command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ocxfile\shell\UnRegister]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ocxfile\shell\UnRegister\command]

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ax]
@ = "axfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\axfile]
@ = "DirectShow Filter"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\axfile\DefaultIcon]
@ = "C:\\Windows\\System\\Ax.ico"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\axfile\shell\Register]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\axfile\shell\Register\command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\axfile\shell\UnRegister]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\axfile\shell\UnRegister\command]

An icon for Ax Files I have made. To be put in the System dir (or elsewhere but then the above registry file must be adapted to its location).

-MDGx: ...siiiigh... -after running your unofficial oleup and the vb6sp6 stuff, my scripting was screwed! -couldn't get any scripts to run from a file (pcpitstop autofixes, downloaded to HD), or on a website (winupdate, pcpitstop tests)... tried reinstalling wscript5.6, vbrun60sp5, xml, etc. and nothing worked (also tried reducing *all* security (enabling everything, everywhere), logging-off/on windows, etc)... also tried replacing the vb6sp6 files back to originals (which I backed up), unregistering/registering, etc... no luck...

-the thing that finally worked, was manually copying all vbrun60sp5 dll's to win\system folder, overwriting... now scripting works again... ???

? any ideas?

(I'll further test, if this disgusted feeling wears off, one step at a time, but I've already spent the last 3 hrs stuck on this...)

(ps: I manually registered the 6 vb6sp6 files which weren't already existing in \system... then unregistered & removed em during troubleshooting... no effect)

Edited by PsycoUnc

---EDIT! DOH! -I spoke too soon (below)! -it IS your OLEUP.EXE, screwin the scripts! Everything was fine, after doing the vb6sp6 files again, then I ran your OLEUP.EXE (since it installs newer builds than vb6sp6), and BOOM! there go the script errors again! -Probably had nothing to do with those 2 exe's (see below) inside vb6sp6, after all...

------------------------

[[[-re: above post: -never mind, I figured it out:

-while unzipping vb6sp6, I ran across 2 .exe's which looked promising: vcredist.exe and vbrun60.exe... I took a peek inside each, they weren't big, looked harmless, like just more auto-update stuff, similar files to what we were updating anyway, so I executed em... -looks like they weren't harmless after all....]]]

[ps: any news about 98se2xp?]

Edited by PsycoUnc

-turns out the vb6sp6 files were no prob, it's the Unofficial OLEUP.EXE file which MDGx offers to use after vb6sp6...

-I tried the OLEUP.EXE on another install of w98se, without the vb6sp6 files, and the scripting (activeX, too) was shot, just the same... u can go ahead w/vb6sp6 files (16 of em, unzipped from all those cabs inside), but let me know if u have any probs w/his OLEUP.EXE update... (try going to winupdate, after his OLEUP.EXE update, see if it still works... or any site with activeX, like PcPitstop.com...)

>;]

(ps: ouch, dialup downloading that 60mb+ vb6sp6 file! And we only need 5mb (16 files) out of it... (1.5 mb zipped)... lol... -hey, if you'd like to save a lot of time, avoid all the unzipping and comparing version numbers, I can email ya the 1.5mb zipped 16 files... shouldn't be any license probs, it's freely available... PM me... :thumbup )

Edited by PsycoUnc

-at least it's easy to fix: just unzip a vbrun60sp5.exe (from Micro$hit; google it) (7-zip will unzip it, and 7-zip is free), shutdown to ms-dos, and copy *.dll from it to \windows\system, overwriting all... (ya have to do it manually, for some reason it won't install right automatically)...

>;]

(edit: I suppose ya could also use vbrun60sp6.exe, newer, just saw it's available at M$, but I haven't tried it yet; I unzipped the sp6 version, and it fixed the prob...)

Edited by PsycoUnc

Problems confirmed here with Oleaut update. Some of my BHOs (Net Transport and Flash Saving Plugin) weren't working anymore properly from IE. Downgrading Oleaut solved the problem.

So what version is OK and what not? Windows 2000 SP4 version (4522 - included in SE SP 2.01) is OK and Windows 2000 post SP4 KB886765 hotfix (4526) not? Od do you use IE6SP1 version (4518)?

Is there any easy way how to reproduce the wrong behavior?

For example links to your plugins?

Petr

Hi Petr,

That's the plugins :

http://www.browsertools.net/Flash-Saving-Plugin/index.html

http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/pa...Net%20Transport

I have an older version of the Flash plugin than the one on the above page.

My setup is WinME IE5.5 SP2 + latest security updates.

What version is OK ? I do not know as I have downgraded to 4275. For me 4275 is OK. I am not too sure about the highest version number of the Oleaut I had installed without having problems. I think it was 4522. I'll be upgrading to those again.

As well I had other problems with 4526, similar to those PsychoUnc has, with ActiveXs but I thought at first it was because I changed my default security settings in IE. Msdxm would not want to load to play video streams in IE for example.

And then I did downgrade the files from DOS and all problems were gone.

PS : Have you installed 4526 yourself ?

Edited by eidenk

(edit: I suppose ya could also use vbrun60sp6.exe, newer, just saw it's available at M$, but I haven't tried it yet; I unzipped the sp6 version, and it fixed the prob...)
I think VB6SP5, VB5SP6, VC6SP5 and VC6SP6 all contain the same version of the oleaut runtimes : 2.40.4275
(ya have to do it manually, for some reason it won't install right automatically)...

Because of the file version that is inferior to the ones already on the machine. The installer checks this and doesn't downgrade the files.