98 FE + 98 SE + ME updates + patches + (hot)fixes

The link below refers to Java6.0, according to Sun, only version 5.0 is compatible with w98.

Here is the link:

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index_jdk5.jsp

Sun Java:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#JAVA

Now Sun Java 2 Standard Edition (J2SE) + Java SDK are GPLv2 open source:

* Sun Java 2 Runtime Environment Standard Edition (J2SE) 1.5.0 Update 11 32-bit includes Java Virtual Machine (JVM) + Java Applets Plug-ins for Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE/ME and Microsoft, Mozilla, Firefox, Netscape + Opera 32-bit web browsers:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/

Direct download [15.7 MB]:

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/

The link below refers to Java6.0, according to Sun, only version 5.0 is compatible with w98.

Here is the link:

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index_jdk5.jsp

Java 5.0 may be compatible only with Win98 SE. Not sure about Win98 FE.

See Java 5.0 System Config page:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/system-configurations.html

Java 5.0 Update 12 now available <make a note of this MDGx>

wow, I spent almost 4 weeks trying to fix my cousin's eMachine computer [if you do Google or Yahoo searches about emachine+defects you'll realize that emachines had a history of defective computers or computer parts]. I finally got it to work, changed the PSU (power supply unit) and hard drive.

Java 5.0 Update 12 now available <make a note of this MDGx>

Thanks for sharing this good news!

I hope that this means that Sun keeps supporting the Java 5 branch for a while. Java 6 does run OK on Win98se but is sluggish. And I don't see need to use it anymore if Java 5.0 is still up to date.

MDGx:

You know me, i can always find something that can be improved ... if you were just an average joe, and saw the following entry in the Add/Remove list:

" Remove Unofficial USER32.DLL + USER.EXE Fix"

would you have any clue at all what it was referring to?? I bet even some regulars to MSFN would probably scratch their heads in a year or so ... "hmmm, that does ring a bell but bugger if i can remember what issue is being fixed" --- its the Q891711 fix for those who were wondering --- i make this point because of AP ... it's getting out to people who have never visited MSFN and they will have no chance of being able to match the updates. I could make this comment about a few of the unofficial fixes floating around (and they're not all yours MDGx) but this one really stands out IMHO.

My preference is to come up with as short a descriptive title as possible, keeping the key words or at least the KB number in the title. Eg this is what i've gone with for Q891711:

"Unofficial Fix for Newer Cursor & Icon Format Vulnerability (Q891711)"

Incidentally, i've kept the old official fix in AP for a good reason, and i've used this for the title:

"Official Fix for older Cursor & Icon Format Vulnerability (kb891711)"

When seen both together, the user is left in NO doubt about what is being fixed, as they can look up the issue using the Q or KB number.

My other gripe is the consistency of the Add/Remove list when a user installs all the unofficial fixes. I feel we are cheating a bit by putting that space at the front to force putting the update at the top of the list. Why are our unofficial updates so important that we upset the alphabetical list ... wouldn't it be good to just put the same word at the start eg "Unofficial" and so they will all be grouped together. I know its a bit late now and i'm not suggesting releasing all the old ones again, but i thought i'd say it all what has been wanting to be said for a while now.

Having said that, please keep up the fantastic effort at keeping Windows 98 alive and kicking. You're the greatest!

Soporific

I woould like to differ slightly fom what you said.

For simple poeple, I'm fraid that

isn't any more comprehensible than

" Remove Unofficial USER32.DLL + USER.EXE Fix".

At least with the second (and original) option, we know that it's some system files changed by this update.

I agree that the white space at the beginning is "unfair practice". What if everybody did the same?

Names should start with "Unofficial" or "Official".

The word "remove"...can be removed. (If you uninstall, you forcibly remove them)."

The word "fix" to be used for specific problems.

The word "update" for package, massive changes.

Anyway, it's good to have them on the list under any name, especialy when the readme file tells you to never use the add-remove program interface to remove the update! :thumbup:wacko:

I would like to differ slightly fom what you said.

For simple people, I'm fraid that

isn't any more comprehensible than

" Remove Unofficial USER32.DLL + USER.EXE Fix".

At least with the second (and original) option, we know that it's some system files changed by this update.

I agree that the white space at the beginning is "unfair practice". What if everybody did the same?

Names should start with "Unofficial" or "Official".

The word "remove"...can be removed. (If you uninstall, you forcibly remove them)."

The word "fix" to be used for specific problems.

The word "update" for package, massive changes.

Anyway, it's good to have them on the list under any name, especialy when the readme file tells you to never use the add-remove program interface to remove the update!

soporific + Fredledingue:

Thanks a bunch for your feedback.

1. I'll revise the updates to remove the space in front of " Remove... whatever... Fix".

I agree the Add/Remove Programs title should not have Remove or Uninstall in it.

I also agree they should all start with "Unofficial" or "Microsoft" (which means "Official").

But please keep in mind that the length of the text that appears in the Add/Remove Programs box is limited to ~ 64 chars, anything beyond that will be outside the box [unreadable]. :(

I'll make these changes to all updates when I have time.

May take a while, there are a *lot* of them.

3. I agree that "Unofficial USER32.DLL + USER.EXE Fix" by itself doesn't say much, I'll add a couple more words to explain better the purpose of the update.

4. Because the Add/Remove Programs box length is limited to ~ 64 chars, I agree that "Fix" is better [shorter] than "Update" or "Patch".

HTH