98 FE + 98 SE + ME updates + patches + (hot)fixes

Petr,

I finally posted those IE hotfixes. ;)

Please see top of topic:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=46581

Complete list is here [also contains 2000/XP OSes]:

http://www.mdgx.com/ietoy.htm#CSF

CCFG95.DLL fix is here [i've made only 1 for all OSes, both ZIPs contain identical builds]:

http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#98SE

Just scroll all the way down to the end of that topic.

Thanks.

Gape:

Many thanks [from everybody here] for making this thread a "sticky".

Best wishes.

Again, thanks Gape.

And MDGx (and all those concerned) - many many thanks for steady stream of recent updates - fantastic! :thumbup

--I was thinkin exactly the same thing. :thumbup Luv all this activity! (quiet periods just make me nervous, lol)

thx again & as always, Guru Gods...

>;]

(...plus there's a little personal [ :boring: ] additional expression of glee: The Pell Grant just came thru, so looks like this old DinoBrain [38; ancient] will be able to continue first college classes (full time now, online) in 2 decades! thank god... my [re]schooling in modern puters/programming/IT finally commences!)

Edited by PsycoUnc

UPDATED · 5-11-2006

Please see the top of this topic for most recent updates.

Added URLMONFX.EXE Fix which installs OLDer URLMON.DLL 6.00.2800.1526 from MS05-054 [Q905915] only on Windows 98/98 SE/ME = see link above.

The URLMON.DLL 6.00.2800.1526 from URLMONFX.EXE should ONLY install under IE6 SP1 only. Do NOT use this patch if IE 6.0 SP1 is not installed or using an older version of IE.

I don't know if anybody mentioned it - there is a new version of root certificates uodate, version 8: http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...en/rootsupd.exe

(released in January 2006)

Petr

Already got the Jan. 2006 version of Root Certificates patch back in early March 2006. I think I did mention it in this thread a few months ago.

Edited by erpdude8

hey MDGx. check out the WTL app for creating and patching files at this site:

http://www.codeproject.com/tools/patch.asp

this tool uses the MSPATCHA.DLL file to "patch" existing files (like what the IEUPDATE.EXE file does to those DLL files in IE updates like KB912812, KB905915. etc.). you'll have to login to the CodeProject site to download the WTL patcher. it can also use the MSPATCHC.DLL file to create patches.

IEUPDATE.EXE uses the info from the "_SFX_MANIFEST_" file inside recent IE updates to "patch" many of the DLL files.

Contents of the "_SFX_MANIFEST_" file from IE update KB912812:

--------

[Deltas]

"RTMQFE\browseui.dll" = "browseui.dll._p", browseui.dll

"RTMQFE\cdfview.dll" = "cdfview.dll._p", cdfview.dll

"RTMQFE\danim.dll" = "danim.dll._p", danim.dll

"RTMQFE\dxtrans.dll" = "dxtrans.dll._p", dxtrans.dll

"RTMQFE\iepeers.dll" = "iepeers.dll._p", iepeers.dll

"RTMQFE\inseng.dll" = "inseng.dll._p", inseng.dll

"RTMQFE\mshtml.dll" = "mshtml.dll._p", mshtml.dll

"RTMQFE\msrating.dll" = "msrating.dll._p", msrating.dll

"RTMQFE\mstime.dll" = "mstime.dll._p", mstime.dll

"RTMQFE\pngfilt.dll" = "pngfilt.dll._p", pngfilt.dll

"RTMQFE\shdocvw.dll" = "shdocvw.dll._p", shdocvw.dll

"RTMQFE\shlwapi.dll" = "shlwapi.dll._p", shlwapi.dll

"RTMQFE\urlmon.dll" = "urlmon.dll._p", urlmon.dll

"RTMQFE\wininet.dll" = "wininet.dll._p", wininet.dll

[Verify]

"RTMQFE\browseui.dll" = 4CCEFD261EB9C0481F3EADB60305A07F

"RTMQFE\cdfview.dll" = 6F6648E2197EDA21C1D2CF1D6887D9F2

"RTMQFE\danim.dll" = CC6F690887A37362C21326D332F48AA7

"RTMQFE\dxtrans.dll" = A4D8D11EEEFC1A89CCF7FA5698C27B85

"RTMQFE\iepeers.dll" = 7D7AA31981F6770C7323C713869CC49E

"RTMQFE\inseng.dll" = AA1E2E594CF861D1200100C9988E5332

"RTMQFE\mshtml.dll" = D2C040629DC44C110897009366CB93B0

"RTMQFE\msrating.dll" = F02EB202619E20B537331EEC54FB30C2

"RTMQFE\mstime.dll" = E31099347F200693B4A8A1F81BF9ECE8

"RTMQFE\pngfilt.dll" = 4DB34F3C29CFD1DF1F92FCD9C8DDB755

"RTMQFE\shdocvw.dll" = A79348B75DA190EC91E2BA5CCF5C25BE

"RTMQFE\shlwapi.dll" = D311A7FC4E081EE7AAAA6F581CF3C471

"RTMQFE\urlmon.dll" = 9C40366FD9BE7965408C51C102E18879

"RTMQFE\wininet.dll" = AAA8906281E95954A20DF24BFC288FDE

[Delete]

"*._p"

--------

also bundled inside recent IE updates are files with extension "._p" < those are patch files. IEUPDATE along with the MSPATCHA.DLL file patches the original DLL files (those are the RTMGDR editions) with the "._p" files, thus turning them into the RTMQFE editions of the DLL files.

Edited by erpdude8

UPDATED · 5-11-2006

Please see the top of this topic for most recent updates.

Added URLMONFX.EXE Fix which installs OLDer URLMON.DLL 6.00.2800.1526 from MS05-054 [Q905915] only on Windows 98/98 SE/ME = see link above.

In light of this, two things:

[All of this is on 98SE]

1) Assuming IE 6.0 SP1 is installed, complete with all of the other known patches except MS06-013 (912812), what is the simplest way to get the benefits of 912812 without the urlmon problem? [Note that urlmon.dll will already be from 905915 in this scenario, if that helps!] Will doing so make WU believe I have installed 912812 so it won't bother me again about this? [Theorize: If 912812 is ever fixed by MS, will WU know to tell us in the future to download the fixed version? And will it install over the fixed-up system which isn't the "pure" 912812 situation?]

2) With all of the updates, what --today-- is the best way to handle the 98SE explorer freeze problems, i.e., to change BROWSELC.DLL and BROWSEUI.DLL? [Where do the "best" replacements come from?]

cjl

Clas, this was taken from readme in fix I got from here: "Since your using Win98, you can use System File Checker (instead of going into DOS) to replace Browseui.dll & Browselc.dll.

When you replace the first file, System File Checker will ask you to reboot (because the file is in use)... select "NO", then replace the second file.

When System File Checker asks you to reboot the second time, choose "Yes".

Here's a little less cluttered set of instructions on how to complete the whole process:

1) Copy & paste IE 6 SP1's

Browseui.dll (Q867282 version)

&

Browselc.dll (Original version)

from

Windows > System folder

to

Program Files > Internet Explorer folder.

2) Replace IE6 SP1's Browseui.dll & Browselc.dll in the Windows >System folder with IE 5.5 SP2's

&

using System File Checker (as described above).

3) Reboot

The "Move and/or Delete Files Hang" should now be gone.

I noticed something "good" by following the directions in Shuey's post...

By moving IE6 SP1's Browseui.dll & Browselc.dll to Internet Explorer's folder, you avoid the first 2 problems I had listed earlier:

1. Toolbars can no longer be locked in IE.

2. The Media sidebar in IE no longer works / appears.

It must be that, because those files are in IE's folder, iexplore.exe uses those files instead of the ones in the System folder.

Explorer.exe still uses the ones in the System folder, and that's why the "Hang" bug disappears.

This problem will still occur though:

3. You can't set custom java permissions in IE Options > security zones... the button no longer appears.

"

1) Copy & paste IE 6 SP1's

&

from

Windows > System folder

to

Program Files > Internet Explorer folder.

2) Replace IE6 SP1's Browseui.dll & Browselc.dll in the Windows >System folder with IE 5.5 SP2's

&

thanks for the info.

So Browseui.dll comes in Q867282 that I already installed over the original IE 6.0 SP1 and Browselc.dll stems from the original install?

And Browseui.dll from the IE 5.5 SP2 version of the Q867282 is the replacement as is the original IE 5.5 SP2 install being the source of Browslc.dll replacement?

Thus, any discussion of newer files from other sources [iE 6.0 family-derived, etc.] is incorrect?

I understand the technique, just wanted confirmation of the exact files to use, since various references have been made, each appearing to be "authoritative" only to be found short-sighted and obsolete, etc.

cjl

I'm the original author of that quoted info... (it's from the Maxthon forums)

When it was written, Q867282 was the latest update for IE...

You can follow it's directions, but use the latest Browseui.dll for IE (Q912812 for IE6 SP1) & (Q905915 for IE 5.5 SP2)

Hope that helps.

I'm the original author of that quoted info... (it's from the Maxthon forums)

When it was written, Q867282 was the latest update for IE...

You can follow it's directions, but use the latest Browseui.dll for IE (Q912812 for IE6 SP1) & (Q905915 for IE 5.5 SP2)

Hope that helps.

Hmm...

Using the 905915 update for IE 5.5 SP2 as the source for the Browseui.dll makes perfect sense, since apparently Browseui.dll is part of the cumulative updates and actually hasn't changed since 867282.

Also, apparently Browselc.dll was never updated beyond original release in both IE55SP2 and IE60 SP1.

Only question: Since 912812 for IE 6.0 SP1 is itself known to be broken [urlmon.dll], current practice would appear to be to first install 912812, THEN run urlmonfx.exe [that is the two-step approach, isn't it? Nothing else to do, no reg changes, etc.? mgdx site shows much complication, but is urlmonfx the equivalent of all of those steps, or not?], does doing this partial back-out change anything? Meaning the browseui.dll file moved to the \program files\Internet Explorer should be taken from 912812 even though the rest of 912812 isn't [all] there?

cjl

URLMONFX only fixes the WU/WUC/OU web sites access bugs.

To properly register a DLL or OCX into the registry, you must use %windir%\SYSTEM\REGSVR32.EXE [self-register server].

Example:

%windir%\SYSTEM\REGSVR32.EXE %windir%\SYSTEM\URLMON.DLL

from a batch file or from within an INF [example]:

[Version]

Signature=$CHICAGO$

[DefaultInstall]

AddReg=REG

[REG]

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce,0,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /S %11%\WHATEVER.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce,1,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /I /S %11%\WHATEVER.DLL"

To do this from the Start -> Run... box, you must type the actual drive letters + directory names in the box.

In 9x Oses the Run... box does not accept [to my knowledge] %windir% or similar environment variables.

Regsvr32 command line switches:

/S = quiet

/I = regserver install

/U = un-regserver [uninstall entries from registry]

To view all regsvr32.exe switches, just run from a DOS box:

%windir%\SYSTEM\REGSVR32.EXE

HTH

Edited by MDGx

FYI, especially useful for developers:

I found msix [console command line tool], which extracts all files from an MSI [MS installer] package:

http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2006/04/07/571138.aspx

D/l here [361 KB, free, English]:

http://hstewart.members.winisp.net/downloads/msix.zip

MSI must be installed, of course:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#MSI

Works with all 9x + NTx OSes.

HTH

Regsvr32 command line switches:

/S = quiet

/I = regserver install

/U = un-regserver [uninstall entries from registry]

To view all regsvr32.exe switches, just run from a DOS box:

%windir%\SYSTEM\REGSVR32.EXE

Good example:

copy browselc.dll %windir%
copy browseui.dll %windir%

CD %windir%\System

regsvr32 /u /s %windir%\System\browseui.dll ;unregisters the browseui.dll file in System using silent mode
regsvr32 /u /s %windir%\System\browselc.dll ;unregisters the browselc.dll file in System using silent mode

regsvr32 /i /s %windir%\browseui.dll ;registers the browseui.dll file in %windir% using silent mode
regsvr32 /i /s %windir%\browselc.dll ;registers the browselc.dll file in %windir% using mode

Edited by X-Mas