98 FE + 98 SE + ME updates + patches + (hot)fixes

To my knowledge RICHED32.DLL 5.00.2134.1 is Unicode, which [even if it doesn't have any weird DLL dependencies in 9x] may generate errors with some programs.

That explains the file size difference when compared to 5.00.1461.82.

I'm afraid erpdude8 is right, we should stick with the older 1 [5.00.1461.82] in RICHED9X.EXE.

Ah, I see. OK, I guess you're both quite right and it shouldn't be used.

Hope you didn't mind me asking - it seemed like something that hadn't been adequately answered before. Thanks for putting me right. :)

I guess MS has run into problems with it. It has been reported that the patch released for 2k/XP/2003 systems is causing problems:

Report about 908531 at Yahoo! News

Perhaps the fact that it hasn't arrived yet for 9x is a blessing in disguise.

I have read a blog at the MSRC site that the MS06-015 updates for win2k, xp & 2k3 will be re-issued on tuesday, April 25:

http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2006/04/21/425838.aspx

Those using win2000, xp or 2003 should download and install the revised MS06-015 updates when they become available at that date. it's unknown if the MS06-015 updates for win98 & me will be ready on april 25.

The MS06-015 security updates for win2k/xp/2k3 have been revised to include the registry fixes. no changes with the shell32.dll files. And still the MS06-015 updates for win98/me have not been posted. oh well. wait until the middle of May [or June] for the MS06-015 patches for Win98/ME.

About unofficial Jet 4.0 SP8 KB837001 patch for WinME; be sure that NirCmd.exe is included so that it will shut down SFP before installing the Jet 4.0 files and do NOT let it reboot the computer.

About unofficial Jet 4.0 SP8 KB837001 patch for WinME; be sure that NirCmd.exe is included so that it will shut down SFP before installing the Jet 4.0 files and do NOT let it reboot the computer.
the_guy did include nircmd and an INF file to properly disable stmgr/statemgr/etc, but I haven't tried this on WinME.

If you do try it, please let us know if it works ok.

Thanks.

BTW:

The Win95 WBEMPROX.DLL fix for WMI 1.5/WBEM is here:

Microsoft Windows 95/98 WMI WBEM Script WBEMPROX.DLL Fix:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=282949

Unofficial WMI WBEM Script Patch for Windows 95/OSR1/OSR2 [116 KB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/Q282949.EXE

Requires WMI 1.5 already installed:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#WMI

Edited by MDGx

-I've started catching up on recent (past month) updates listed here, and yup, I can confirm the same problem others had with some (-for me: 905495, 911567) of em: had to point em to the proper temp dir...

-and the wm911565 WON'T install, says "you have to have wmp 7.1 installed..." and of course I DO... (and it's working perfectly)... -so, can I just manually replace/register the wmpui.dll file?

...sigh

===========================

Re: 905915/912812 "before/after":

-can maximus-decim's latest mdac+msxml update pkg be used as the "do after" msxml "fixes"?

Edited by PsycoUnc

This post seriously needs to be made a sticky.

Very shortly (after MS supports ends in July), new updates for 9x will become fewer and fewer, even assuming that there will be a few more unofficial updates to come. There's a danger that this thread will drop off the front page of the forum, and into obscurity. In this scenario, there's a real danger that 9x users coming new to these forums will never see this thread.

This thread (and these updates) does serve a purpose apart from either the FE/SE/ME SPs. It baffles me why this hasn't been acknowledged by the moderators.

Why not make this a sticky?

Edited by bristols

PsychoUnc,

Yes, the Maximus-Decim is what I use to update the MDAC stuff after installing the Internet Explorer Cumulative Updates. I always ran into problems trying to install all that stuff manually. The Maximus-Decim solved that for me.

Whenever updating that, I disable my ethernet card and set ZoneAlarm not to run at startup. That saves me having Windows report the registry being bad and automatically rebooting and installing its last backup. I hate that! Taking ZoneAlarm out of the equation saves me that problem. After rebooting from the MDAC update I run ZoneAlarm, set it to startup with Windows and reenable my ethernet card. I have to do this after RealPlayer installations as well.

Edit - Oh, I just did all this.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act=ST...t=0#entry501706

This fixed up Internet Explorer ActiveX installations so they ask to install again, as they should, and then actually install and work. The caveat is that Windows Update will now think I don't have KB912812 installed. Well, then it's going to stay not installed (even though it was, before I installed the older one over it and manually replaced the URLMON.DLL with System File Checker). I like when things work!

Edit2 - Hmmm, Windows Update Catalog errored out when I told it to go to the download basket. I had to use the Windows XP partition to get the latest files. (I save them.) It worked there. I don't know. Maybe that was just a glitch in Windows Update Catalog. Maybe something's still broken. Since Office Update worked and Windows Update was able to search for updates I assumed it was all fixed.

Edited by Eck

Petr has obtained new fixes for Win98/2k/ME/XP and IE6 SP1 including the newer OLE Automation 2.40.4528 Q139071 update for Win2000. the newer oleaut32.dll file v2.40.4528 still has the same problems as oleaut32.dll file v2.40.4526 as I have tested on a Win98 and WinME computer. so MDGx should keep version 2.40.4522 of the oleaut32.dll file but should include the other files with build 4528.

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86)

recently i've been mucking around with ffdshow and you need this C++ Redistributable for some of the latest compiles going around, so i downloaded & installed it and afaik (so far) it works just fine on 98SE.

vcredist_x86.exe

this is the non-beta version release date 4/10/2006

just thought i'd mention it as no one else has (afaik) . . .

Edited by miko

recently i've been mucking around with ffdshow and you need this C++ Redistributable for some of the latest compiles going around, so i downloaded & installed it and afaik (so far) it works just fine on 98SE.

vcredist_x86.exe

It looks like it contains atl80.dll, msvcp80.dll, msvcm80.dll, msvcr80.dll, mfc80.dll, mfc80u.dll, mfcm80.dll, mfcm80u.dll and other files version 8.00.50727.42.

Petr

vcredist_x86.exe

It looks like it contains atl80.dll, msvcp80.dll, msvcm80.dll, msvcr80.dll, mfc80.dll, mfc80u.dll, mfcm80.dll, mfcm80u.dll and other files version 8.00.50727.42.

Petr

Thanks Miko, great. :)

Petr (or anyone), would older Visual C++ files (such ATL.DLL build 3.00.9782, MSVCP60.DLL build 6.00.8972.0, and the other files that MDGx specifies from VS6 SP6 Full) have to be removed before installing these later ones?

Edit:

Just noticed that MDGx has removed his instructions for extracting files from VS6 SP6 Full, and has posted an EXE which contains them:

Unofficial VS6 SP6 Runtime + ActiveX Controls Libraries (DLLs)

Thanks MDGx!

But the question still remains - install the 2005 Redistributable that miko linked to (VCREDIT_x86.EXE), or VS6SP6.EXE, or both?

This post seriously needs to be made a sticky.

Very shortly (after MS supports ends in July), new updates for 9x will become fewer and fewer, even assuming that there will be a few more unofficial updates to come. There's a danger that this thread will drop off the front page of the forum, and into obscurity. In this scenario, there's a real danger that 9x users coming new to these forums will never see this thread.

This thread (and these updates) does serve a purpose apart from either the FE/SE/ME SPs. It baffles me why this hasn't been acknowledged by the moderators.

Why not make this a sticky?

You're right, I'm with you here, this thread should be made a sticky.

I believe Gape is the moderator of this forum.

We should send him a note about this.

P.S.:

I just posted a bunch of updates:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=46581

Petr (or anyone), would older Visual C++ files (such ATL.DLL build 3.00.9782, MSVCP60.DLL build 6.00.8972.0, and the other files that MDGx specifies from VS6 SP6 Full) have to be removed before installing these later ones?

Edit:

Just noticed that MDGx has removed his instructions for extracting files from VS6 SP6 Full, and has posted an EXE which contains them:

Unofficial VS6 SP6 Runtime + ActiveX Controls Libraries (DLLs)

Thanks MDGx!

But the question still remains - install the 2005 Redistributable that miko linked to (VCREDIT_x86.EXE), or VS6SP6.EXE, or both?

I think both VS6 + VS2005 editions can coexist.

No need to uninstall 1 or the other.

Hope this helps.

Edited by MDGx

You're right, I'm with you here, this thread should be made a sticky.

I believe Gape is the moderator of this forum.

We should send him a note about this.

I agreee too that this topic should be a "sticky" one and should be listed at the very top of this forum.

I think I'm going to post back some of the IE KB905915 patches on my IE Updates page, especially the IE6 SP1 version. about the problem Eck had with KB912812, I have also verified the problem to occur on my WinME computer with IE6 SP1. on the other hand, the KB912812 IE update for WinXP SP2 worked fine on my bro's XP SP2 laptop machine with no problems.