98 FE + 98 SE + ME updates + patches + (hot)fixes

Guys,

I have updated MP911564.EXE to correctly install NPDSPLAY.DLL into the detected WMP directory. Default is C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player .

After install, the computer will not reboot anymore, because it is not necessary.

* Microsoft Windows 95/NT4/98/ME Media Player (WMP) Plug-in With Non-Microsoft Web Browsers NPDSPLAY.DLL 3.0.2.629 Security Vulnerability Fix:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms06-006.mspx

Unofficial WMP Patch for Windows 95/NT4/98/ME [223 KB, English]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/MP911564.EXE

Edited by MDGx

UPDATED 2-27-2006

Please see top of this topic for newest updates:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=46581

Guys,

I have updated MP911564.EXE to correctly install NPDSPLAY.DLL into the detected WMP directory. Default is C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player .

After install, the computer will not reboot anymore, because it is not necessary.

* Microsoft Windows 95/NT4/98/ME Media Player (WMP) Plug-in With Non-Microsoft Web Browsers NPDSPLAY.DLL 3.0.2.629 Security Vulnerability Fix:

GOOD!

Link to get Root Certificates Update:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...en/rootsupd.exe

I have downloaded this recently and file size is now 229 KB. Has Digital Signatures date of Jan. 16, 2006 and newer root certificate files.

• 2 weeks later...
UPDATED 2-27-2006

Please see top of this topic for newest updates:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=46581

Guys,

Nice one MDGx, thank you for putting this right.

Link to get Root Certificates Update:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...en/rootsupd.exe

I have downloaded this recently and file size is now 229 KB. Has Digital Signatures date of Jan. 16, 2006 and newer root certificate files.

Thanks for this erpdude8 - good spot.

Although it certainly contains updates to my current root certificates, I tried to run this file and it wouldn't install them (on 98 SE with SP2.1, and 98 SE with SP2.1a and 98SE2ME). Could you explain how you installed them, if it involved anything more than just running the .exe file, please?

Edited by bristols

Although it certainly contains updates to my current root certificates, I tried to run this file and it wouldn't install them (on 98 SE with SP2.1, and 98 SE with SP2.1a and 98SE2ME). Could you explain how you installed them, if it involved anything more than just running the .exe file, please?

Running Rootsupd.exe not working, bristols? It should! Did you download the file cleanly? Try downloading the file again and running the Rootsupd.exe file. I just ran Rootsupd.exe file and the new certificates appear in the "Certificates" dialog box of IE. the actual files dont get installed though (it's been like that with previous releases of rootsupd.exe).

The IE "Certificates" dialog box can be reached by going to the Internet Options control panel applet, click on the Content tab, click on the Certificates button and click on the Trusted Root Certification Authorities tab. that's how one can tell the new Certificates are installed.

Edited by erpdude8

EDITED ON MARCH 15, 2006:

MDGx should revise ALL HTML Help packages to include version 4.72.2811.0 of Advpack.dll file as the older Advpack.dll file [4.71.1015.0] included has bugs.

I recently ran MDGx's HTML Help packages on the Win98 & ME machines and they did NOT execute the "EXTRAC32 /Y /E /L %11%\MUI MUI.CAB *.DLL" command. I found out why. It's because the unofficial HTML Help packages have ADVPACK.DLL file version 4.71.1015.0 dated 7/15/1997. I extracted the files included in the HTML Help pack to a temp folder, then replaced the ADVPACK.DLL file with a newer one [like version 4.72.2811.0 dated 12/11/1997] and the "EXTRAC32 /Y /E /L %11%\MUI MUI.CAB *.DLL" command worked. Looks like version 4.71.1015 of the ADVPACK.DLL file has problems and needs to be replaced with a newer version like version 4.72.2811.0. ALL Microsoft Windows ME updates/hotfixes use v4.72.2811 of Advpack.dll file and do NOT use the older Advpack.dll file.

I now suggest MDGx redoing ALL the unofficial updates he has made to include version 4.72.2811 of the Advpack.dll file [yea I know it's a pain in the neck but he doesnt have to do them all at once; just do some of them now and do the rest later], especially the unofficial ME updates. ALL should feature Advpack.dll v4.72.2811.

BTW - the CRYPT9X package he made, it should also contain version 4.72.2811 of the Advpack.dll file dated 12/11/1997. If it contains an older advpack.dll file, he should redo this patch now.

I now suggest MDGx redoing ALL the unofficial updates he has made to include version 4.72.2811 of the Advpack.dll file [yea I know it's a pain in the neck but he doesnt have to do them all at once; just do some of them now and do the rest later], especially the unofficial ME updates. ALL should feature Advpack.dll v4.72.2811.

BTW - the CRYPT9X package he made, it should also contain version 4.72.2811 of the Advpack.dll file dated 12/11/1997. If it contains an older advpack.dll file, he should redo this patch now.

the CRYPT9X pack now contains v5.0.2013.1301 of advpack.dll file (GOOD!) which was included in the 128-bit High Encryption packs for older versions of IE.

About the Rootsupd.exe file I mentioned earlier: the downside is that while running rootsupd.exe, it does not give users a clue of what it is doing (no dialog boxes and no confirmation boxes of whether or not the installation was successful or if it failed). it just does a "silent" installation.

To see what has been installed by rootsupd.exe, save the entire registry [using regedit -> Registry -> Export Registry file...] from before running rootsupd, then run rootsupd and then save the registry again under another file name.

Then compare the 2 REG files side by side.

BTW, you could use FC.EXE for this purpose [example]:

fc old.reg new.reg

You'll notice a bunch of new "Blob" entries.

Those are the security certificate updates.

More info:

IE desktop icon -> right-click it -> Properties -> Content tab -> Certificates button -> view lists.

Hope this helps.

I now recommend MDGx that he should remove the unofficial NT912919 GDI32.DLL 4.0.1381.299 patch off his web site as the file contains a seemingly OLDER build of the GDI32.DLL file. The NT4 KB835732, KB840987 and KB891711 updates have much higher builds of gdi32.dll file than that and installing NT912919 may not work under an WinNT4 SP6 system with either KB835732, KB840987 or KB891711 update installed.

BTW - KB835732 for NT4 has gdi32.dll v4.0.1381.7263 while KB840987 & KB891711 have gdi32.dll v4.0.1381.7270.

Edited by erpdude8

And I also suggest MDGx that he post up the unofficial NT888113 hlink.dll patch. I send this to him a few weeks ago but he has not post it up. What is the bleepin' hold-up? Get it in gear, MDGx! Remove unofficial NT912919 GDI32.DLL 4.0.1381.299 patch and post up unofficial NT888113 hlink.dll 5.20.3790.227 patch.

About the Rootsupd.exe file I mentioned earlier: the downside is that while running rootsupd.exe, it does not give users a clue of what it is doing (no dialog boxes and no confirmation boxes of whether or not the installation was successful or if it failed). it just does a "silent" installation.

Yeah, that's unfortunate. Well, in this case, I'm none the wiser as to whether ROOTSUPD.EXE installed or not (because I didn't do a 'before & after' comparison of the size of my registry, for example). Thanks anyway erples.

Edited by bristols

your welcome, bristols. you should also thank MDGx for his post on showing what Rootsupd.exe installs in the Windows registry. here it is:

To see what has been installed by rootsupd.exe, save the entire registry [using regedit -> Registry -> Export Registry file...] from before running rootsupd, then run rootsupd and then save the registry again under another file name.

Then compare the 2 REG files side by side.

BTW, you could use FC.EXE for this purpose [example]:

fc old.reg new.reg

You'll notice a bunch of new "Blob" entries.

Those are the security certificate updates.

More info:

IE desktop icon -> right-click it -> Properties -> Content tab -> Certificates button -> view lists.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for posting this MDGX,

I have a problem with the MP912452.EXE update for WMP9

When I try to run it, it says that I have to install WMP9.0 first??

Offcourse I already have WMP9 installed.

I am also wondering if this update has to be installed in a certain order together with MP832353.EXE

They both update wmp.dll

Thanks for posting this MDGX,

I have a problem with the MP912452.EXE update for WMP9

When I try to run it, it says that I have to install WMP9.0 first??

Offcourse I already have WMP9 installed.

I am also wondering if this update has to be installed in a certain order together with MP832353.EXE

They both update wmp.dll

I have sent a notification to the patch author regarding this matter.

I'll post updated patch(es) as soon as I'll get them.

The install order should not matter because newer file always overwrites older one [these are all standard MS patches built with iexpress].

If newer file already installed, will not be overwritten by older one, unless you specifically allow it.

Hope this helps.

I've been wondering, MDGx, the unofficial WMP 7.1 KB915565 patch is for "Windows 98se/ME"? Does it work under Win98 FE? if not, can you make it work under 98fe? WMP 7.1 does support all versions of Win98 including the FE edition.

Also, what ever happened to the 98SE2XP pack. cant seem to find it.

About the CRLUPD.EXE patch. I happen to find a copy of it included in the NT4 SP6a Q299444 Security Rollup pack.

Edited by erpdude8