98 FE + 98 SE + ME updates + patches + (hot)fixes

I have removed Windows 98/98 SE/ME from Java 6 supported OSes. :(

MDGx, Java 6 Update 7 (http://java.sun.com/products/archive/j2se/6u7/index.html) works with no problems under 9x.

It's only newer updates (10 and 11) that will not install...

The method of starting the install and then running the MSI from the Temp folder does work for Java 6 Update 7.

Why is Java 6 Update 7 is like 15mb but install 58mb of stuff?

Firstly, the Java installer is compressed, but also it dynamically generates many data files during install.

Have you noticed the time it takes to install Java?

However, this is typical of any highly compressed installer.

Take for example, Adobe Reader 9.0 (under Windows XP).

The initial file is 34MiB which expands to 104MiB of install files, that in the end makes the Adobe folder a total of 198MiB... ;)

@ erpdude8 when you have time can you update your MP9URP9X with the new strmdll.dll?

thanxs

sure thing, PROBLEMCHYLD, when I post up the January 2009 releases of the unofficial WMP9 URP packs sometime in middle or late January 2009.

Uh make that early February 2009, PROBLEMCHYLD. I recently lost the SED files for creating the WMP9 URP packs when upgrading my room PC from XP SP3 Home Ed. to XP SP3 Pro Ed. I'll have to re-create them later this month since I'm very busy right now.

Finished making the updated unofficial Windows Media Player 9 Update Rollup Packs of Feb. 2009. I'll send them to MDGx near the end of this week along with a clean version of the WinME Q296773 vmm.vxd hotfix [the Q296773 patch that I found packaged in a Dell OS update pack a few years ago has some invalid digital signatures and may possibly be corrupted] as well as the Q216204 sysdm.cpl hotfix for Win98 FE/SE.

Edited by erpdude8

Why is Java 6 Update 7 is like 15mb but install 58mb of stuff?

Firstly, the Java installer is compressed, but also it dynamically generates many data files during install.

Have you noticed the time it takes to install Java?

However, this is typical of any highly compressed installer.

Take for example, Adobe Reader 9.0 (under Windows XP).

The initial file is 34MiB which expands to 104MiB of install files, that in the end makes the Adobe folder a total of 198MiB... ;)

About file compression:

I've seen a 10 MB rar file which expands to 2.1 GB when fully uncompressed [it's a DVD iso].

... Not a typo. ;)

Have fun.

don't forget mplayer2.exe needs to be updated in your pack

to what version of the mplayer2.exe file should I put in my WMP9 URP packs, PROBLEMCHYLD?

too late. it will probably not make it since I've just released them. Wait for a future release several months from now.

Unofficial WMP9 URP packs [February 2009 release]:

http://www.usaupload.net/d/n26bfp38h94

Edited by erpdude8

Thanks, MDGx, for all these new updates. Thanks, in particular, for IOSYS98! You do rock! :thumbup

I have, however, to point out that two of the newest updates might contain files of yet a higher version that work OK, by my own tests, with Win 9x/ME, namely:

SCHANNEL.DLL v. 4.87.1964.1880, from KB831225 and RICHED20.DLL v. 5.30.23.1230, from KB936929 (XPSP3).

Keep on the great work! :yes:

I have, however, to point out that two of the newest updates might contain files of yet a higher version that work OK, by my own tests, with Win 9x/ME, namely:

SCHANNEL.DLL v. 4.87.1964.1880, from KB831225 and RICHED20.DLL v. 5.30.23.1230, from KB936929 (XPSP3).

Edit:

I will update RICHED9X.EXE soon to include RICHED20.DLL 5.30.23.1230 from XP SP3.

Done.

SCHANNEL.DLL 4.87.1964.1880 for WinNT4 from Q831225 is only available per request fom MS (hotfix), do you happen to have it?

Please PM me if you do.

Many thanks.

Best wishes.