98 FE + 98 SE + ME updates + patches + (hot)fixes

I bet you have installed this:

MDAC 2.5 SP3/2.7 SP1/2.8/2.8 SP1/2.8 SP2 for Windows 98/98 SE/ME Fix:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=916528

Unofficial MDAC 2.8 SP1 Patch for Windows 98/98 SE/ME [988 KB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/Q916528.EXE

Yes, at least I tried to install it. Like I said, I got multiple "trouble copying a file" errors when I tried. Prior to this, the latest MDAC update I had installed was 911562 (specifically the version for 2.8 SP1, since I had previously installed MDAC 2.8 SP1).

Edited by bristols

Thanks for posting the fixes MDGx. I made a vgx.dll patch based on the official one form Microsoft, link for it is in Petr's thread about the vulnerability.

Also, the 919587 patch for 9x/nt4/me does not require nircmd.exe as msxml3 files are not protected by sfp.

the_guy

I've made an unofficial VGX.DLL patch out of the official file released by M$ today [from official Win2000 SP4 patch]:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?s=&showtopi...st&p=565543

Installs on 98FE, 98SE, ME + NT4, only with MS IE 6.0 or 6.0 SP1 already installed.

The SED file checks for IE 6.0 or 6.0 SP1, otherwise doesn't install.

I'll remove nircmd.exe + start.exe from unofficial 919587 fix.

HTH

Edited by MDGx

hey, has anybody noticed that the unofficial IE 6.0+ VGX.DLL file subs just fine into IE 5.5sp2?

I unregistered the old one (located in Program Files), replaced it, re-registered, and voila, the test page displays just fine (it bombed before this "fix", as is proper for unprotected systems)...

-granted, I've only tested it w/the one test page, have no idea if it's "fully" compatible... anybody know of any other test pages, or ways to test it?

The one for 925486 will add the KB number in the Help->About section.

the_guy

I've added Q925486 number in IE Help -> About box [good idea, thanks ;)].

IE925486.EXE now also registers the CAT file, and adds official Active Setup registry entries.

Please try it out, make sure it works ok.

Please see 1st post for complete details:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=46581

HTH

Edited by MDGx

Also, MDGx.

What I did to my VGX update was used the files from 833989, and modified the INF files to be 925486 (bottom 5 lines in string section). I also added the nircmd method to REPLACE the sucatreg.exe method. Then I just packaged it together. I'll send it to you sometime if you want.

the_guy

What I did to my VGX update was used the files from 833989, and modified the INF files to be 925486 (bottom 5 lines in string section). I also added the nircmd method to REPLACE the sucatreg.exe method. Then I just packaged it together. I'll send it to you sometime if you want.

the_guy

I see.

Thanks for the info.

I'd like if you can send me the file you made.

Thanks in advance.

What I did:

created INF + SED files from scratch

copied some REG entries from IE883586.EXE INF for "Active Setup" = now the fix appears "as installed" in the registry same as official from M$

added vgxupdate.exe [renamed to vgxupd.exe] to add Qxxxxxx number in IE -> Help -> About [in official M$ SED command line is: vgxupdate.exe Qxxxxxx and quiet/admin command is: vgxupdate.exe /Q Qxxxxxx]

created "fake"/empty Q925486_D.INF necessary for vgxupd.exe [otherwise it won't run properly]

kept nirmcd.exe to kill WinME SR/WFP

removed start.exe = seems not to be necessary for running nircmd.exe "kill" commands

added sucatreg.exe from WinME cd-rom

added CAT file from official KB925486 [Win2000 SP4 fix]

added INF section to register CAT by running sucatreg.exe [RunPostSetupCommands] = tested only under Win98SE = yes, registering CAT works properly as far as I can tell, because the CAT is moved [as it should be] from %windir%\INF\Catalog to %windir%\SYSTEM\Catroot

added regsvr32 entry for VGX.DLL [RunPostSetupCommands]

removed sections for uninstall [why would some1 remove this fix? ;)]

added section in SED to install only on IE 6.0 + 6.0 SP1 [FileSectionList]

added section in SED to install only on 98FE, 98SE, ME + NT4 [TargetWin9xVersion + TargetNTVersion]

I'm now using wextract.exe 6.00.2800.1168 posted by Petr = this way size of iexpress executables is smaller.

You can see INF contents by extracting files from IE925486.EXE and then opening it in Notepad.

Extract files manually from command line [example]:

IE925486.EXE /c /q /t:c:\temp

or use WinZip 9.x, PowerArchiver or 7-zip.

If you wish to see the SED file, I can post it here, or email it to you.

HTH

Petr:

I can't find the topic where you mentioned makecert.exe [M$ tool to create certified CAT files] right now, so I'm going to post here what I found at MSDN web site:

MSDN .NET Tools:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cp...meworktools.asp

MAKECERT.EXE [part of .NET SDK]:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cp...makecertexe.asp

.NET SDK [354 MB, contains makecert.exe]:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...44-c96d69c35dec

Check digital signatures:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=241111

MAKECAT.EXE [part of Win2003 Server setup CD]:

http://windowssdk.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us...y/ms731140.aspx

ZIP contains makecert + makecat tools:

MAKECERT.ZIP

HTH

Edited by MDGx

I don't have any problems with COPY2GB.EXE

but it does not let me uninstall

try downloading and installing COPY2GB.EXE from MDGx's site again, reboot and then run the un-installer. I think the un-install feature may still be buggy and may not work as expected.

About unofficial SHELL32.DLL v4.72.3812.610 patch. It worked fine under Win98se. Now make the shell32.dll v4.72.3812.610 fix work also under Win98 FE and rename to SHELL98.EXE.

Edited by erpdude8

I think the shell32.dll patch would also install on 95 with the Active Desktop Update installed.

Can anyone confirm/deny?

the_guy

Only the Q313829 shell32.dll patch will work under Win95/NT4 + Active Desktop Update, and Win98 FE/SE.

Shel98se.exe is restricted to Win98 SE only.

Note to PROBLEMCHYLD and MDGx: I found the "un-install" problem with COPY2GB.EXE and C2GBME.EXE. They "appear" to un-install BUT I found out the original KERNEL32.DLL file is NOT restored and STILL had the KERNEL32.DLL and KERNEL32.ORI files.

Look in the C2GBME.INF, FE.INF and SE.INF files and in the [EU] section,

change "KERNEL32.DLL,KERNEL32.ORI,,,4" to "KERNEL32.DLL,KERNEL32.ORI", save changes and repackage the COPY2GB.EXE & C2GBME.EXE files. Now the un-install should work properly and the KERNEL32.ORI file WILL be renamed back to KERNEL32.DLL during un-install.

Edited by erpdude8

UPDATED · 10-3-2006

Updates:

- C2GBME.EXE + COPY2GB.EXE = Fixed INF uninstall code.

- SHELL98.EXE [renamed from SHEL98SE.EXE] = modified SED code to allow install on 98 (FE) + 98 SP1.

- IE925486.EXE = modified SED code to allow install on MS IE 5.5 SP2.

Enjoy.

Edited by MDGx

the_guy + all developers who want to create/mod iexpress installers:

I have figured out 3 things:

1. If adding an UpdateInis section under the main install section {in this case [DefaultInstall]}, the installer reboots automatically after completion without any prompts/dialogs.

This UpdateInis section can be fake, for example [see below] %windir%\WININIT.LOG does not exist under 98 (FE)/98 SP1/98 SE OSes. %windir%\WININIT.LOG exists only under WinME OS.

This automatic reboot feature also requires that the SED files contains this line:

[Options]

RebootMode=IS

under the [Options] section.

Also, you need to make sure your INF does not have any of these lines under the main install section {in this case [DefaultInstall]}:

[DefaultInstall]

SmartReboot=I

Reboot=1

2. START.EXE /W is not necessary to run the commands listed under the RunPreSetupCommands section [see example below] under WinME.

All commands under the RunPreSetupCommands section run 1 at a time [see example below]:

the next 1 starts only after the previous 1 completed its execution [if more than 1 command].

3. The commands listed under the RunPreSetupCommands section run completely invisible [in the background] if adding :1 at the and of the section name [see example below] = in this case WL .

[DefaultInstall]

RunPreSetupCommands=WL:1

UpdateInis=WX

[WL]

"NIRCMD.EXE killprocess MSTASK.EXE"

"NIRCMD.EXE killprocess PCHSCHD.EXE"

"NIRCMD.EXE killprocess RSTRLFN.EXE"

"NIRCMD.EXE killprocess RSTRUI.EXE"

"NIRCMD.EXE killprocess STATEMGR.EXE"

"NIRCMD.EXE killprocess STMGR.EXE"

"NIRCMD.EXE killprocess VXDMON.VXD"

[WX]

%10%\WININIT.INI,Rename,,"NUL=%10%\WININIT.LOG"

%10%\WININIT.INI,Rename,,"DIRNUL=%31%\_RESTORE\TEMP"

So I have modified most of my iexpress installers to include these new findings.

HTH

Edited by MDGx

Regarding the 834158 Web Page Print Errors SHDOCLC.DLL 6.00.2800.1443 Fix:

I've tried installing it on two different 98 SE installations, both with IE6 SP1 installed, and have received this error message:

This update requires Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 to be installed.