98 FE + 98 SE + ME updates + patches + (hot)fixes

I found some newer ODBC drivers insite KB911562. (MDAC 2.5 SP3 update for Windows 2000). Is it okay to use these newer ODBC drivers on Windows 98?

Version 4.0.6306.0 against 4.0.6205.0. Note the MDAC 2.5 SP3 ODBC drivers where removed from MDAC since MDAC 2.6. Now they are included in JET 4.0 SP8.

That sounds like a good idea. I plan on making an unofficial update for this if it works.

the_guy

erpdude8:

Please try GRPHFLTS.EXE again on Win95, see if it works now.

It works correctly on my 98SE + 98 FE.

Thanks.

GRPHFLTS.EXE now works under Win95/98/ME BUT fails under Win2000/XP/2003 (and maybe NT4).

You are better off specifying [DestinationDirs] for CF as "CF=35353,MICROS~1\GRPHFLT" instead of "CF=28740,GRPHFLT". Win2k/XP/2k3 does NOT understand the 'CF=28740,GRPHFLT' part.

The [MicrosoftSharedDir] section

---

HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion","MicrosoftSharedDir","","%35353%\%M_S%"

---

should NOT be there. This is why GRPHFLTS does not work under Win2000/XP/2003 as GRPHFLTS tries to look for a registry entry called "MicrosoftSharedDir" under Win2k/XP/2k3 in registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\" and it does NOT exist. So the [MicrosoftSharedDir] section needs to be removed from the GF.INF file.

use CF=35353,MICROS~1\GRPHFLT from now on and GRPHFLTS will work not only under Win95/98/ME but also under WinNT4/2000/XP/2003. Let's get it right this time since GF.INF was revised at least 3 times already.

Edited by erpdude8

Hi MDGx,

Regarding 98SE2XP.EXE:

Having running the installer, Explorer opened itself upon reboot at this directory seemingly created by 98SE2XP:

C:\Program\Windows

This directory contained the following archives:

MPVIS.001

WMPBAND.001

WMPNS.001

MPLAYER2.001

WMPLAYER.001

The files they respectively contained had all failed to install. So I extracted the files, gave them their correct extension (they all had no extension) and installed them by hand into the proper directories.

My Program Files directory is:

C:\Program Files

The directory "Program" and its subdirectory "Windows" didn't exist before I installed 98SE2XP.

Edited by bristols

About 918899: There is a(nother) problem in urlmon.dll. Microsoft has provided a fix, in KB Article 923762. It includes newer urlmon.dll 6.0.2800.1567. Maybe someone could get it from Microsoft?

the_guy

I'll try to request this from MS today. when making an unofficial U918899 IE6 SP1 patch for Win98/ME/NT4, just include the RTMQFE files only. and include the updated urlmon.dll file from 923762 into U918899.

note that KB923762 is for IE6 SP1 only. other versions of IE don't seem to be affected when installing KB918899.

BTW - I found a problem with the directx_aug2006_redist.exe package. When running that under Win98 or WinME I get error message "The directx_aug2006_redist.exe file expects a newer version of Windows. Upgrade your Windows version." I dont get this error when running it under WinXP. I noticed that this DX9.0c Redist pack was created from version 6.0.5482.0 of wextract.exe. maybe that might be the problem.

Edited by erpdude8

@erpdude8: I plan on having both the gdr and qfe versions. It also will not have the 923762 update included, as I have already made the update. I will send it to MDGx tonight so it can be posted ASAP. Maybe in October, though?

the_guy

I noticed that this DX9.0c Redist pack was created from version 6.0.5482.0 of wextract.exe. maybe that might be the problem.

This is wextract from Windows Vista.

If you are interested, here are iexpress/makecab/wextract/advpack from Windows Vista: http://home.tiscali.cz/~cz053010/iexpress-5384.zip

There are unresolved references to kernel32.dll, functions:

GetUserDefaultUILanguage

GetSystemDefaultUILanguage

maybe because of the Vista multilanguage concept where all language dependent resources are in separate MUI files.

Petr

I repacked the August 2006 version of dx9 for this purpose. Now, it's just a wrapped 7zip archive (Just like my June 2006 version). The DXSetup.exe files works as intended on all versions of 9x.

If you'd like me to post it, I'll be happy to.

This is my post:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=45373...st&p=328623

The file I was refering to is BROWSELC.DLL from XP SP2.

I use BROWSEUI.DLL from newest MS security patch for 98SE, which I just posted here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=46581

BROWSEUI.DLL from XP/2003 does not work properly with 9x OSes.

Hope this helps.

This mean deleting large files bug is fixed?

I made a better build, this time with the correct version information, icon, etc: http://rapidshare.de/files/29214017/dx9cAug06.exe

(27MB, 7zip-wrapped sfx installer/archive).

This is designed for Windows 9x Systems ONLY. Do not attempt to use it to update WinNT-based OSes. It only contains updates that have win98+ support. For August, there's only been a single cab file updated. I'll be looking into making an unofficial dx9c version, to see if any of the XACT files work with 98SE or higher.

@erpdude8: I plan on having both the gdr and qfe versions. It also will not have the 923762 update included, as I have already made the update. I will send it to MDGx tonight so it can be posted ASAP. Maybe in October, though?

the_guy

maybe MS might release a new IE update in October

I made a better build, this time with the correct version information, icon, etc: http://rapidshare.de/files/29214017/dx9cAug06.exe

(27MB, 7zip-wrapped sfx installer/archive).

This is designed for Windows 9x Systems ONLY. Do not attempt to use it to update WinNT-based OSes. It only contains updates that have win98+ support. For August, there's only been a single cab file updated. I'll be looking into making an unofficial dx9c version, to see if any of the XACT files work with 98SE or higher.

can you post this under another site like Mytempdir.com, jimmsta? I'm not in favor of downloading large files from Rapidshare.

Note to MDGx: I noticed when I recently downloaded the updated HTML Help 1.41 pack for Win98/ME/NT4 it now has the newer HHCTRL.OCX file. However, you need to change the version number of the HH 1.41 pack from 5.2.3790.309 to 5.2.3790.558 on your Add-ons page.

Edited by erpdude8

About 918899: There is a(nother) problem in urlmon.dll. Microsoft has provided a fix, in KB Article 923762. It includes newer urlmon.dll 6.0.2800.1567. Maybe someone could get it from Microsoft?

the_guy

I find it strange why the newest version of urlmon.dll

included in 918899 is 6.0.2800.1565

and the fix 923762 has 6.0.2800.1567

version.

Did they skipe 6.0.2800.1566 intentionally?

Edited by winxpi