98 FE + 98 SE + ME updates + patches + (hot)fixes

New MS06-002 KB908519 update is available.

Direct download:

Windows98-KB908519-ENU.EXE

Prerequisities: Windows 98 or 98SE, IE 5.5 SP2 or newer

WindowsME-KB908519-ENU.EXE

Prerequisities: Windows Me, IE 5.5 SP2 or newer

Contains

File: T2EMBED.DLL

Size: 163,600 bytes

Date: 24-Nov-2005 16:54

Version 5.00.2195.7073

The same file for 98FE, 98SE, ME and for all languages.

Petr

I've gotten the KB905819 T2EMBED.DLL updates for Win98/ME. however, Microsoft made one minor boo-boo in the KB905819.inf file. Here's where MS messed up in the INF file:

---------

;qfecheck

HKLM,%UpdateKey%\%SPKey%\%LocaleID%%UpdID%\,,,"%UpdName%"

HKLM,%UpdateKey%\%SPKey%\%LocaleID%%UpdID%,%10%\t2embed.dll,,"5.0.2195.7073"

---------

It should be:

HKLM,%UpdateKey%\%SPKey%\%LocaleID%%UpdID%,%11%\t2embed.dll,,"5.0.2195.7073"

%10% points to Windows folder while %11% points to Windows\System folder.

So if you view the Q905819 update in QFEcheck it will say:

"Tmembed.dll 5.0.2195.7073 NOT FOUND"

I opened Regedit and go to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Updates\WinME\UPD908519

it says:

C:\WINDOWS\t2embed.dll 5.0.2195.7073

change C:\WINDOWS\t2embed.dll to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\t2embed.dll and QFECheck will find the "missing" t2embed.dll file.

---

and I'm still waiting for Petr to obtain the WinME version of the KB828028 patch. I thought it would be easy for him to ask for ME kb828028 from MS, just like it was easy for him to ask for the W98 kb828028 patch. what's the hold up?

Edited by erpdude8

I've gotten the KB905819 T2EMBED.DLL updates for Win98/ME. however, Microsoft made one minor boo-boo in the KB905819.inf file. Here's where MS messed up in the INF file:

---------

;qfecheck

HKLM,%UpdateKey%\%SPKey%\%LocaleID%%UpdID%,%10%\t2embed.dll,,"5.0.2195.7073"

---------

It should be:

HKLM,%UpdateKey%\%SPKey%\%LocaleID%%UpdID%,%11%\t2embed.dll,,"5.0.2195.7073"

%10% points to Windows folder while %11% points to Windows\System folder.

So if you view the Q905819 update in QFEcheck it will say:

"Tmembed.dll 5.0.2195.7073 NOT FOUND"

I opened Regedit and go to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Updates\WinME\UPD908519

it says:

C:\WINDOWS\t2embed.dll 5.0.2195.7073

change C:\WINDOWS\t2embed.dll to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\t2embed.dll and QFECheck will find the "missing" t2embed.dll file.

I posted something related to this subject here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?s=&showtopic=65...ndpost&p=447938

The patch author date-stamped the GDI files for Win98 SE. I do not know the reason why.
Here is the answer from the author of the GDI/WMF patches:
I included the comment 'Petr' found and date-stamped the files (day-month-year & time) 4.10.2005 & 22:26 hours to recognize some of the files more easily - the stamp, 4.90.2005 & 30:02 hours, is not possible.

Petr

Here is the answer from the author of the GDI/WMF patches:
I believe that contrary to WinXP etc., malformed WMF records are much more likely to cause a GPF in GDI.EXE than lead to remote code execution under Win9x.

I will send you a patched 98FE version sometime this month.

Hope this helps.

Edited by MDGx

and I'm still waiting for Petr to obtain the WinME version of the KB828028 patch. I thought it would be easy for him to ask for ME kb828028 from MS, just like it was easy for him to ask for the W98 kb828028 patch. what's the hold up?

I don't suppose to ask MS for this patch, MS has sent to me too many patches already.

I also don't suppose that it could contain anything usuful (if exists at all). mesp202en-a3 contains msasn1.dll version 5.00.2195.6905 white KB828028 (W98) contains 5.00.2195.6824 and KB828028 (W2K) 5.00.2195.6823.

Petr

Probably all of them [in theory], because as far as I know none of the files updated by the unofficial patches replace Tihiy's RP files.

But I haven't experimented this yet.

Tihiy may have more details about this subject.

Hope this helps.

Which of the unofficial patches work best on a 98SE2ME installation that was haX0red with Tihiy's Revolutions 4.0 pack?

<sarcasm>

Format C:

</sarcasm>

Seriously, you should look for patches that may improve system stability, but it is unsafe to install 98SE2ME or patched system files (user*,gdi*,shell*,kernel*) over RP4 due to its architecture.

Seriously, you should look for patches that may improve system stability, but it is unsafe to install 98SE2ME or patched system files (user*,gdi*,shell*,kernel*) over RP4 due to its architecture.

:no: I think you misunderstand...

I install 98SE2ME, THEN your Revolutions Pack...

NOW I want to patch WMF vulnerability.

NOT reinstall 98SE2ME over RP4.

--but hey since you say RP will not help my system and think it is so bad I should reformat; then I will do that.

[shouts to the whole world] Hey everybody even Tihiy says his RP is crap! :w00t::lol:

Or did I misunderstand you like you misunderstood me? :whistle:

--iWindoze

Or did I misunderstand you like you misunderstood me?
I've said:
t is unsafe to install 98SE2ME or patched system files (user*,gdi*,shell*,kernel*) over RP4

So: you better should not install WMF patch because it installs updated gdi* files.

Please post next time with RP (Lite) questions to RP (Lite) thread.

P.S. RP4 is crap. Powerful crap.

Hi!

I would just like to know if there would be anyone who would have downloads that includes all the fixes to upgrade Win95b to Win95C?

Likewise, has there been a final version for an unofficial WinME SP?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. :yes:

Thanks!

-KIKI-

Hi!

I would just like to know if there would be anyone who would have downloads that includes all the fixes to upgrade Win95b to Win95C?

Likewise, has there been a final version for an unofficial WinME SP?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. :yes:

Thanks!

-KIKI-

nope. there's no final release of the unofficial WinME SP, yet Kiki. it will be a while before that since it is in alpha 3 stage and hasnt reached beta. come back in a couple of months for the unofficial WinME SP. maybe by middle of March of this year (or in early Spring) there might be at least an RC (release candidate) version of WinME service pack.

Win95 C isnt much different from Win95B; win95c = win95b + osr2.1 usb supplement update w/ some registry changes.

Edited by erpdude8

Or did I misunderstand you like you misunderstood me?

I've said:

t is unsafe to install 98SE2ME or patched system files (user*,gdi*,shell*,kernel*) over RP4
So: you better should not install WMF patch because it installs updated gdi* files.

Please post next time with RP (Lite) questions to RP (Lite) thread.

P.S. RP4 is crap. Powerful crap.

Okay I see it :w00t:

I'll be moving my parents to eiher Win2000 or Linux come my next visit home. Id rather do Win2000 than Linux for the simple reason that Linux needs too many updates and on dial up they're a real pain. You better get on with that Windows 2000 pack, right? :thumbup unless that's some powerful crap too? :w00t:

Thanks for the answers though.

-iWindoze

PS: powercrap and lack of updates is why I'll be moving them to 2000 (in case anyone was about to ask me why I'd do that...)

I don't suppose to ask MS for this patch, MS has sent to me too many patches already.

I also don't suppose that it could contain anything usuful (if exists at all). mesp202en-a3 contains msasn1.dll version 5.00.2195.6905 white KB828028 (W98) contains 5.00.2195.6824 and KB828028 (W2K) 5.00.2195.6823.

Petr

OH boooooo! BOOOOOOOO! booooo! BOOOOOOO!

<the crowd in my mind is BOOing at Petr for not attempting to ask microsoft support for thw winme Q828028 hotfix>

Then the way you requested for the Win98 Q828028 hotfix from microsoft support by email with "no problems" was a FLUKE! A stroke of LUCK! Then how do I really know that it was easy to ask for the Q828028 patches from MS support. what is your secret? I know I had a hard time asking for Win98 Q828028 patch by email several times and I just kept getting convoluted, circuitous responses.

i'm getting a little suspicious...

some Win9xME users prefer the Microsoft patches instead of "unofficial" patches because they are uncomfortable with unofficial solutions. And I get that.

Edited by erpdude8

• 2 weeks later...
Same patch, but removed mandatory WinME installation instructions because they are *not* necessary anymore:

* Unofficial Windows ME Graphics Rendering Engine GDI32.DLL + GDI.EXE build 4.90.3002 Security Vulnerability Fix:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms06-001.mspx

Direct download [390 KB, English]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/ME912919.EXE

More info:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=46581&st=193

unfortunately, the WinME install instructions ARE STILL NEEDED as the revised ME912919.EXE file that included the Nircmd.exe file to kill SFP, System restore, Vxdmon etc., DID NOT WORK properly under my WinME computer :( SAD!

it still generated that "Windows detected and repaired inconsistencies..." error message after reloading WinME & after installing ME912919 w/ Nircmd.exe file. I think the patch installed the updated GDI files to soon (or should I say "too quickly") before Nircmd had a chance to finish. The patch should WAIT until Nircmd finishes shutting down, SFP, system restore & Vxdmon and THEN install the updated files. AND note that the WININIT.LOG file is created AFTER rebooting & reloading WinME desktop, NOT right after installing the ME912919 patch.

MDGx told me it worked on a clean ME OS on his test machine. But it's a completely different story on my WinME computer and on my relative's WinME computer, both of which are slower than the one MDGx has. Looks like ME912919 doesnt work well on slow computers.

I have created .INF files that fix the "T2EMBED.DLL Fix Installer Error" problems under Win98 & ME. I have also created an .INF file that fix the "NWNP32.DLL Fix Installer Error" problem after installing the IPF Error Nwnp32.dll fix under Win95 osr2 and Win98 FE/Gold. I have sent these .INF files to MDGx and should post up these fixes as soon as possible. MDGx should also mention that the Nwnp32.dll FIX requires either MS Client for Netware Networks or Novell Netware v3.x/4.x Client to be installed in order for the Nwnp32.dll patch to really work & install the updated file.

Edited by erpdude8

ok MDGx. I have obtained the newer ME912919.EXE patch. It properly shut down SFP, system restore and Vxdmon and installed the updated GDI files after waiting for Nircmd to finish shutting down SFP/system restore. It no longer prompted the "Windows has found and repaired inconsistencies..." message after restarting the ME machine BUT the "You must restart the computer..." message popped up after reboot. And when I restarted the computer the second, third, fourth times, the Restart Computer message kept on popping up. And I noticed the wininit.ini file was still there in the Windows folder. I had to delete the wininit.ini file manually after the second or third time I rebooted when I ran ME912919.EXE again. Hopefully this will be fixed in V4 of ME912919.

Also, you may want to create a separate Unofficial HTML Help 5.20.3790.2453 patch just for WinME that will include the NIRCMD file (and call it HHUPDME.EXE). Ditto for Unofficial OLE Automation 2.40.4526 Update for WinME with the inclusion of NIRCMD file (and call that one OLEUPME.EXE).