98 FE + 98 SE + ME updates + patches + (hot)fixes

there's a new Cumulative Security Update for IE6 SP1 (KB896688) avaliable,

it's maybe of interest because it contains (unlike the previous ones) new DirectX Media files . . .

theres also KB904706 (which is up on Windows Update just now)

a Security Update for DX 8 & 9 (with separate downloads for each)

i got the 98SE ones but i expect theres downloads for WinMe as well.

all these are now up on the v4 catalog site

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp

(went up 2 days behind the Windows Update posting btw)

Edited by miko

there's a new Cumulative Security Update for IE6 SP1 (KB896688) avaliable,

it's maybe of interest because it contains (unlike the previous ones) new DirectX Media files . . .

theres also KB904706 (which is up on Windows Update just now)

a Security Update for DX 8 & 9 (with separate downloads for each)

i got the 98SE ones but i expect theres downloads for WinMe as well.

all these are now up on the v4 catalog site

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp

(went up 2 days behind the Windows Update posting btw)

these updates were posted late Wednesday morning at Windows Update [for those living on the West Coast in the Pacific Time region]; so I got these security updates at WU close to noontime Wednesday. there's also a Cumulative Security update for IE 5.5 SP2 [KB896688] for Windows ME.

the KB904706 DirectX updates can install under Windows 98 & ME. there are only 2 versions, one specifc for DirectX 8.x and the other for DirectX 9.0/9.0a/9.0b/9.0c. I believe you can also install them under Win98 FE as long as either DirectX 8 or 9 is installed.

ok PsycoUnc I'll try to look for the info about oleaut32.dll 2.40.4526 breaking IE scripts.

ok PsycoUnc I'll try to look for the info about oleaut32.dll 2.40.4526 breaking IE scripts.

all right i found it.

I wonder MDGx, if you want to include the HTML Help files from the XP SP2 KB896358 patch and create an unofficial HTML Help 5.20.3790.2453 patch for Win98/ME/NT4. I've extracted the "SP2QFE" versions of the HTML Help files from the XP SP2 KB896358 patch, then installed them on the Win98 & WinME computers. they worked fine. they're actually a little newer than the HTML Help files found in the Win98, ME & 2000 versions of the KB896358 patches.

I wonder MDGx, if you want to include the HTML Help files from the XP SP2 KB896358 patch and create an unofficial HTML Help 5.20.3790.2453 patch for Win98/ME/NT4. I've extracted the "SP2QFE" versions of the HTML Help files from the XP SP2 KB896358 patch, then installed them on the Win98 & WinME computers. they worked fine. they're actually a little newer than the HTML Help files found in the Win98, ME & 2000 versions of the KB896358 patches.
IMHO:

New HTML Help update files should be left alone the way MS distributed them, because each type of OS [9x or NTx] has its own specific functions/features, addressed within those DLLs/OCXs.

I'm aware that the XP files are newer builds than 98/ME files, but as far as I can tell those builds are different on purpose, and each target a specific OS.

This update fixes the same security bugs for all OSes, so there [probably] won't be any difference in functionality, no matter which build is used.

my 2 ¢

• 1 month later...
Unofficial Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 for Windows 98/98 SE Cumulative BROWSEUI.DLL, DANIM.DLL, DXTRANS.DLL, INSENG.DLL, MSHTML.DLL, PNGFILT.DLL, SHDOCLC.DLL, SHDOCVW.DLL, SHLWAPI.DLL, URL.DLL, URLMON.DLL + WININET.DLL Security Vulnerabilities Fix:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms05-052.mspx

BUG: This Fix BREAKS Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE HTML Help Troubleshooting Guide!

FIX: Run 98TSHOOT.EXE [174 KB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/98TSHOOT.EXE

Hi MDGX, I found that for re-enabling of local troubleshooter just small registry change is necessary. And it should be noted that if local troubleshooter is enabled, Windows Update will show Internet Explorer Critical Update again. Two small INF files are attached. AFAIK it is not necessary to install Tshoot.ocx again. Or is it? I just noted that in your file is version 1.0.1.2123 while in Windows 98 SE is version 1.0.1.2115 and in Windows 98 Gold is version 1.0.0.2004 (and does not use chm file). Windows Me does not use ocx it at all.

Petr

Ts.zip

Edited by Petr

Hi MDGX, I found that for re-enabling of local troubleshooter just small registry change is necessary. And it should be noted that if local troubleshooter is enabled, Windows Update will show Internet Explorer Critical Update again. Two small INF files are attached. AFAIK it is not necessary to install Tshoot.ocx again. Or is it? I just noted that in your file is version 1.0.1.2123 while in Windows 98 SE is version 1.0.1.2115 and in Windows 98 Gold is version 1.0.0.2004 (and does not use chm file). Windows Me does not use ocx it at all.

Petr

You're right, TSHOOT.OCX is not really necessary to fix this bug, but [as you already noticed] this TSHOOT.OCX build is newer than all others, so besides fixing the REG entries, this fix also updates TSHOOT.OCX to newest version. ;)

This TSHOOT.OCX build is from this MS update:

* Microsoft Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE Troubleshooter HTML Help TSHOOT.OCX build 1.0.1.2123 + TSHOOT98.CHM Update:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/tshoot/

Direct download [385 KB, English]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/TSHOOT98.ZIP

posted here [scroll all the way down to the bottom of topic]:

http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#98SE

Hope this helps.

Hello MDGx,

Can you or anyone tell me whether or not the Unofficial HTML Help Update (HHUPD.EXE) that you linked to at the top of this topic and here:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#HHU

is a replacement for the official KB896358 HTML Help Update v1.3x/v1.41?

If it is, then does it change anything about your advice for installing KB896688, the IE Cumulative Update?:

http://www.mdgx.com/ietoy.htm#IEC

Is the order still:

1) HHUPD.EXE (replacing 896358)

2) 896688 (IE Cumulative Update)

3) MSXML 3.0 SP7/MSXML 4.0 SP2

4) 98TSHOOT.EXE (or another solution to fix Troubleshooter broken by IE Cumulative Update)

- ?

Thanks for any knowledge/experience you can share here.

Can you or anyone tell me whether or not the Unofficial HTML Help Update (HHUPD.EXE) that you linked to at the top of this topic and here:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#HHU

is a replacement for the official KB896358 HTML Help Update v1.3x/v1.41?

If it is, then does it change anything about your advice for installing KB896688, the IE Cumulative Update?:

http://www.mdgx.com/ietoy.htm#IEC

Is the order still:

1) HHUPD.EXE (replacing 896358)

2) 896688 (IE Cumulative Update)

3) MSXML 3.0 SP7/MSXML 4.0 SP2

4) 98TSHOOT.EXE (or another solution to fix Troubleshooter broken by IE Cumulative Update)

- ?

Thanks for any knowledge/experience you can share here.

Unofficial HHUPD.EXE contains newer builds of HTML Help files from the Windows XP patch [same official patch described at KB896358].

This way [unofficial patch was suggested by erpdude8] one has the choice to install either the official KB896358 patch [older builds] or the unofficial KB896358 patch [newer builds].

And because files installed by HHUPD.EXE are newer, they will replace the older ones installed by official KB896358 patch [if you installed that one first].

Essentially these files fix the same security vulnerability, they are just meant [officially] for different OSes.

There is 1 difference though:

unofficial HHUPD.EXE installs also all HHCTRLUI.DLL files into %windir%\SYSTEM\MUI [that are also installed by MS IE 5.5 SP2, 6.0 + 6.0 SP1] for all supported languages.

Official KB896358 does not install any of the MUI [Multilingual User Interface] files, because it is meant only as a security fix, not as a whole HTML Help installation.

The install order of patches you list above is still valid as far as I know.

Hope this helps.

Unofficial HHUPD.EXE contains newer builds of HTML Help files from the Windows XP patch [same official patch described at KB896358].

This way [unofficial patch was suggested by erpdude8] one has the choice to install either the official KB896358 patch [older builds] or the unofficial KB896358 patch [newer builds].

But as was also noted, it is questionable what build is newer and what build is older.

If you compare 5.2.3790.2453 (srv03_sp1_qfe.050525-1536 and 5.2.3790.309 (srv03_gdr.050413-1540) you see that the date 050525 is newer than 050413 but build number 1536 is lower than 1540. And of course one build is qfe and the second gdr.

My opinion is that it is better to believe Microsoft that for Windows 98 is intended 5.2.3790.309 (srv03_gdr.050413-1540).

Has anybody noticed any difference in behavior or functionality?

Petr

But as was also noted, it is questionable what build is newer and what build is older.

If you compare 5.2.3790.2453 (srv03_sp1_qfe.050525-1536 and 5.2.3790.309 (srv03_gdr.050413-1540) you see that the date 050525 is newer than 050413 but build number 1536 is lower than 1540. And of course one build is qfe and the second gdr.

My opinion is that it is better to believe Microsoft that for Windows 98 is intended 5.2.3790.309 (srv03_gdr.050413-1540).

Has anybody noticed any difference in behavior or functionality?

Petr

I am also aware of the different builds/file dates/inconsistencies, but erpdude8 wanted the XP version to test on his computer(s), so I posted it together with the other HTML update packages.

I have not noticed any difference of functionality between the official 98SE and unofficial HHUPD from XP.

Do you think I should remove the unofficial HHUPD?

I can also bundle the MUI files with the official 98SE/ME HTML files, and repost.

This way users have the choice of installing the MUI files, without (re)installing MS IE 5 or 6.

Edited by MDGx

OLEAUT 4522 finally no good for me :

I hadn't used eMule since quite a long time and a few days ago I tried to use it again and to my surprise it systematically froze the entire OS (including mouse and keyboard) after about 5-10 minutes of use, forcing to reboot the PC using the power button.

I did downgrade several recently updated sytstem files in use by eMule to finally find out that the culprit was OLEAUT 4522. I did downgrade to version 4275.1 from VB6.0-KB290887-X86 to clear out the problem. This also apparently cleared a non terminal BSOD during boot that I was attributing so far to some vxd.

OLEAUT 4522 finally no good for me :

I hadn't used eMule since quite a long time and a few days ago I tried to use it again and to my surprise it systematically froze the entire OS (including mouse and keyboard) after about 5-10 minutes of use, forcing to reboot the PC using the power button.

I did downgrade several recently updated sytstem files in use by eMule to finally find out that the culprit was OLEAUT 4522. I did downgrade to version 4275.1 from VB6.0-KB290887-X86 to clear out the problem. This also apparently cleared a non terminal BSOD during boot that I was attributing so far to some vxd.

Could you try the OLE files from IE 6.0 SP1? They are in the OAINST.CAB and their version is 4518.