98 FE + 98 SE + ME updates + patches + (hot)fixes

I'm desperate to try to get rid of the last OS instability, and the most annoying: the famous WinMX memory leak

I highly doubt that system upgrades will solve problems of memory leaks in third party software. If WinMX leaks memory, then its develloper(s) must fix this bug. I see that this soft hasn't been updated since more than a year.

I'm desperate to try to get rid of the last OS instability, and the most annoying: the famous WinMX memory leak

I highly doubt that system upgrades will solve problems of memory leaks in third party software. If WinMX leaks memory, then its develloper(s) must fix this bug. I see that this soft hasn't been updated since more than a year.

-yup, I agree... but it's also well known that w98se isn't that great w/memory handling, too (especially resources), so if any updates might help improve w98's handling, it might trickle down a bit to slightly improved winmx stability (or at least maybe delay the inevitable lockup a little bit longer, or maybe not so bad of a crash; currently, if winmx crashes with a long, huge file download in progress, it loses ALL the downloaded portion, as well, since it doesn't save it to disk until it's done (or until you manually browse to the file, and right-click "Properties" or copy it, access like that automatically saves the downloaded portion to disk, while it's still downloading... a little trick of the trade... but otherwise, it's all lost, sometimes days worth of downloading one giant file)...

>;]

I have now installed the new downgraded upgrade and have no problems with any of the above. I just have to check that msdxm wants to display streaming video.

That problem was unrelated to the oleaut upgrade. Did temporarily downgrade to 4275 again. Error was still there. Reinstalling Media Player 6.4 cleared the error.

winmx is file sharing client, like napster, kazaa, emule, etc... can find absolutely anything on there, if ya work at it... but huge files, like tv-shows (400mb) always have huge "queue" (people waiting in line for that file), usually 50-100 people in front of ya, can take several days straight waiting for your turn...and if ya lose the connection, ya start all over... and even when it is your turn, often the upload speed is small, takes all day to get the whole file... gotta babysit it, annoying, but it works... (especially when I forget to set my vcr for a show)

-MDGx: -the regsvr32 batchfile: -yup, that's exactly what I did too, save some typing... I just wanted to ask you to make sure that I wasn't missing some recommended software installs/updates which would make use of those 6 "brand new" files from vb6sp6...

(ps: -any news about 98se2xp/2k3?  I'm about ready to try the xp files which you mentioned in older posts, but I was wondering if there's an updated list, w/files added/subtracted?  -I'm desperate to try to get rid of the last OS instability, and the most annoying:  the famous WinMX memory leak... probably not possible, since the problem is within WinMX, but ANY potential stability improvement w/winmx would be nice... sux 2 B in queue for 3 days, babysitting it, for a huge tv-show file, and finally start downloading, just to lockup and start all over again...)

About VB6/VC6 SP6 files:

As far as I know those are just updates to make them compatible with other newer MS software/updates, but older versions of those DLL/OCX files should also work ok.

To find out if some of those DLLs/OCXs need to be registered in a different way besides using regsvr32, you could extract all INF files from VC6SP6 and open them up with Notepad, and look for related registry values, but that's time consuming.

About 98SE2XP/2K3:

Because one needs an XP or 2003 license to use those files, I can't just pack them with iexpress/pkzip/7zip/etc, and upload them at my site or somewhere else, because I don't want to risk having my site shut down.

All I can do to help is point you in the right direction, by telling you which files to d/l from MS servers, and how to extract which files, and where to place them + how to register them if u are using 98/ME.

Everything one needs to do in order to use XP SP2 files with 98/ME is posted here:

http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm#KRM9S

Everything one needs to do to use WMP10 files with 98/ME is posted here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=35997...ndpost&p=309394

To get the latest TTF fonts from XP SP2 + 2003, please go here:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#TTF

Besides that, the only other files [i have tested] that can be used with 98/ME are from 2003 SP1:

MSHTML.TLB

MSHTMLED.DLL

MSHTMLER.DLL

RICHED20.DLL

USP10.DLL

These all go into %windir%\system and the only 1 that needs to be regsvr32-ed is MSHTMLED.DLL .

Make sure u backup your original files 1st, just in case.

Please note that in order to use the MSHTML*.* files from 2003 SP1 u must have MS IE 6.0 SP1 already installed, and it is highly recommended to also install all current MS IE 6.0 SP1 updates/patches:

http://www.mdgx.com/ietoy.htm#BRO

Hope this helps.

Edited by MDGx

-yes, of course ya can't just zip-up all the xp files and distribute, was just asking about a list...

-I've looked at your "NEW: ADD WINDOWS XP SP2 FUNCTIONALITY" page, and the list of xp files there are listed as being related to IE6 or WMP9/10... -can any of them be used w/IE5.5? (IE5.5 is still getting Critical updates thru ME, which we of course also use on 98se, so it still isn't Mandatory to switch to icky IE6, just yet... I will hold out as long as I feasibly can! And I'm not sure about upgrading WMP7.1 to 9/10, yet: isn't it just more bloat, bigger RAM footprints, longer load times, more M$ crap? Any definitive reasons to upgrade? -I happily use MPLAYERC for all video, just WMP7.1 for mp3's...).

[ps: I've just double-checked your IE6 page, went to all the links talking about IE6, and there wasn't a single thing that attracted me to using 6 over 5.5... and there are of course MANY things I don't like with IE6, including .NET (more unnecessary bloat; NOT needed for anything I've seen or used; just increases /WINDOWS size and slows down puter/surfing), "better" cookie management (? who cares! -cookies were NEVER an issue w/me...), windows xp theme/look (I hate that), netscape plugin support removed; MORE page faults than the current (fully patched) 5.5 (I never get IE errors anymore, w/5.5, but EVERY TIME I test out 6, on any puters, yup!), ...and the list goes on... ]

Edited by PsycoUnc

(...sry if my sometimes-enthusiastic posts are bothering anyone... it's just meant in a joking manner... -looks like the other thread ("A Better Windows") has been closed completely... I was just joking over there about ADMIN blocking win-XP users... lol... now we're all blocked... ouch... -"thin line between genius & insanity": I've been dancing across that line a bit too much, lately... maybe time for a "happy pill" dosage increase... :P )

-yes, of course ya can't just zip-up all the xp files and distribute, was just asking about a list...

-I've looked at your "NEW: ADD WINDOWS XP SP2 FUNCTIONALITY" page, and the list of xp files there are listed as being related to IE6 or WMP9/10... -can any of them be used w/IE5.5?  (IE5.5 is still getting Critical updates thru ME, which we of course also use on 98se, so it still isn't Mandatory to switch to icky IE6, just yet... I will hold out as long as I feasibly can!  And I'm not sure about upgrading WMP7.1 to 9/10, yet: isn't it just more bloat, bigger RAM footprints, longer load times, more M$ crap?  Any definitive reasons to upgrade?  -I happily use MPLAYERC for all video, just WMP7.1 for mp3's...).

[ps: I've just double-checked your IE6 page, went to all the links talking about IE6, and there wasn't a single thing that attracted me to using 6 over 5.5... and there are of course MANY things I don't like with IE6, including .NET (more unnecessary bloat; NOT needed for anything I've seen or used; just increases /WINDOWS size and slows down puter/surfing), "better" cookie management (? who cares! -cookies were NEVER an issue w/me...), windows xp theme/look (I hate that), netscape plugin support removed; MORE page faults than the current (fully patched) 5.5 (I never get IE errors anymore, w/5.5, but EVERY TIME I test out 6, on any puters, yup!), ...and the list goes on... ]

I have stopped using MS IE 5.5 SP2 a long time ago, so I haven't tested these [or any other newer system] files with 5.5 SP2.

All my tests are done using MS IE 6.0 SP1.

Please note that MS stopped supporting IE 5.5 SP2 and even 6.0 for all platforms [including WinME which installed IE 5.5 five years ago].

The only 1 they still support [until they release IE 7.0 RTM anyway] is 6.0 SP1.

They now post only critical patches for 5.5 SP2 + 6.0, but that will stop soon.

But they still post all categories of patches for IE 6.0 SP1, even critical ones for 98SE + ME platforms.

Therefore I strongly recommend to upgrade to 6.0 SP1, and then install all newest patches to have your PC up to date on most current security issues.

I have also discussed these issues in READ1ST.TXT:

http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/READ1ST.TXT

under the "FAQ" chapter:

http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/READ1ST.TXT ]MUST install NEWest IE + ALL current Patches REGARDLESS of which browsers you

use to surf the web, because of Windows "browser integration". This means a

lot of system files from %windir%\SYSTEM used by your OS to access/connect to

the network(s)/internet are also part of IE browsing engine, and MUST be kept

up to date to avoid ANY known bug, flaw, security vulnerability etc, to avoid

exposing your computer(s) to spyware/malware/etc network/internet based

attacks.

MS stopped making patches for ALL older MS IE versions [5.0, 5.01, 5.5 SP1,

5.5 SP2 + 6.0] EXCEPT 6.0 SP1. That's why you MUST install MS IE 6.0 SP1 AND

ALL its security patches, because this is the ONLY way you can keep your Win98

SE computer(s) as secure as possible.

I don't like 6.0 SP1 either [i've got a huge list of bugs/limitations/issues], but I'm using it only because this is the only 1 that has current security fixes, on the par with Windows XP + 2003.

BTW, same goes for WMP9 and its security patches:

http://www.mdgx.com/wmp.htm#WMP

Hope this helps.

-but critical updates (security included), like u know/said, are still being offered for IE5.5... that takes care of any security issues, at least for now... when M$ finally ends that, then I'll be forced to use* IE6 ("upgrade" sure didn't sound rite, there, had to backspace that and sub "use"....lol)... why suffer needlessly until then?

>;]

(and a second plus to waiting: by then, more updates to IE6 will have come to pass, hopefully reducing *some* of the suffering, when finally being forced to switch...)

Edited by PsycoUnc

• 2 weeks later...

-yet another cumul. update for IE5.5sp2 (winME) today:

"Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-038

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (896727)

Issued: August 9, 2005"

(-only shows up in winupdate "Windows Update Catalog", not M$ Downloads, google, etc...)

...I haven't installed it yet, but unzipping shows at least some files are newer versions...

>;]

• 4 weeks later...
-yet another cumul. update for IE5.5sp2 (winME) today:

"Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-038

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (896727)

Issued: August 9, 2005"

(-only shows up in winupdate "Windows Update Catalog", not M$ Downloads, google, etc...)

...I haven't installed it yet, but unzipping shows at least some files are newer versions...

>;]

Note that the IE Cumulative Update [896727] for IE 5.5 SP2 will normally REFUSE to install under non-WinME systems. If you are using other versions of Windows such as 98, NT4 w/ SP6, or even 2000 w/ SP4 AND have IE 5.5 SP2 installed, you'll have to manually extract the files inside the patch, then run the command "ieupdate.exe Q896727" to install the files AND you MUST reboot after the files are installed, even if the patch doesn't tell you to reboot.

note to MDGx: while I was away, I have asked for and obtained the msconfig.exe 4.90.3001 Q272719 WinME patch from Microsoft support. let me know if you need it and I'll be glad to send it to you after I test out the patch.

I really dont mind if W98/ME users use either IE 5.5 SP2 or IE 6.0 SP1. I install IE5.5 SP2 on my relative's old (and ancient) pentium 1 pc (75mhz cpu w/ 32mb RAM) 'cause it can't handle IE6.0 SP1 effectively. I do, however, use IE 6.0 SP1 on my WinME machine, a pentium 3 (800 mhz) with 256mb RAM.

note to MDGx: while I was away, I have asked for and obtained the msconfig.exe 4.90.3001 Q272719 WinME patch from Microsoft support.  let me know if you need it and I'll be glad to send it to you after I test out the patch.
Please do, at your convenience.

Many thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...
FIXED OLEUP.EXE = reverted back to older OLEAUT32.DLL 2.40.4522 from Win2000 SP4 = if already installed OLEAUT32.DLL 2.40.4526 follow instructions on screen to properly overwrite the newer one with older OLEAUT32.DLL 2.40.4522 :

* Unofficial OLE Update build 2.40.4526 for Windows 95/98/NT4/ME [446 KB, English]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/OLEUP.EXE

Your OLE Automation Update needs to be revised again, MDGx. WinME users should revert back to OLE Automation v2.40.4522 files, ALL of them as v2.40.4526 of the files break ME's Help & Support Center feature. Helpctr in WinME will display a "cannot display page" error message when using v2.40.4526 of asycfilt.dll, oleaut32.dll, olepro32.dll & stdole2.tlb files as I've recently used those files and tested them on my ME machine. Perhaps you may want to create a separate WinME OLE package (2.40.4522) that installs under ME only (like OLEUPWME.EXE). ALL of the OLE Automation files from the KB886765 patch should work properly under Win2k with SP4 installed; Microsoft forgot to mention in support KB article 886765 that the OLE patch requires SP4 to be installed first.

however, when I installed the OLE Automation v2.40.4526 fix (including v2.40.4526 of the oleaut32.dll file) under my neighbor's Win98 SE system, things seem to run fine [everything loaded ok]. what was the problem with the oleaut32.dll file? and can you create an OLE automation v2.40.4526 pack that installs under Win95/98/NT4 only? it's just that the OLE Automation 2.40.4526 files loaded ok under WinME but the Help & Support feature stopped working correctly, so I had to switch back to v2.40.4522 of all the OLE Automation files for WinME Help & Support Center to function correctly again.

Edited by erpdude8