Question about silent inststalls

genex

Which one do you prefer:  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you prefer:

• Image using ghost, paragon etc.
    • Full unattended using (nLite), silent switches, reg tweaks etc.

Hi Guys!

I have a question I've been wondering about for some time now.

I've been using nLite and other stuff from this forums on my road to get the "perfect" (not possible with M$ :D ) OS.

But I've found out (am I not clever :P ) that nLiting xp pro, slipstreaming it, integrating drivers, adding reg tweaks, making it unnatended, installing software using silent switches and DEBUGGING it takes a veeeeery long time to do. Specially when I know that I probably would need to update all this things every time before I need to do a formatting (correct written?) of my HDD (apps are often updates etc.)

So, my question is: Isnt it much much better to install everything the usual way (which is manually for all of those who still have managed to escape from the addiction this forums can give you with all its "must have" things :lol: ) and then when everything is set up like I want it to be, then just make an image of the HDD using Norton Ghost 9, Paragon Drive Backup etc?

I bet we would save pretty much time and energy on that? What do you guys think? Tell me your + and - with the two methods (image or silent install (custom OS)...

Remember: don't read this literally. Its a question which I want to have your opnions on. And don't flame or anything like that. This is a serious topic, and I want serious answers!

Cheers! :thumbup

I am using both methods. First I am making an Unatended install witch is exactly the way I want it to be. And if I have instaled it Iam making an backup with Gost.

Also I have my unatended install files on a separate partition so when a program is updateted (is that english :wacko: ) I am only have to implemeted into my unatended Install dir.

D@RKNeSS

Well, I have two unattended discs. One is labeled "DIST" (distribution) and the other is "MINE" (self-explanitory).

DIST will wait until first login, and then it runs WIHU, asking for various CD keys along the way. Plus it gives the user an option of not installing stuff.

For me, I'll run "MINE" on my system as an emergency disc. It also comes in handy if I wanna use it on more than one computer. Transfering ghost images from one computer to another can cause problems if the computers aren't exactly the same.

Anyway, after I do the unattended install, I create a ghost image and store it on a seperate HDD. Then I create a CD, which can auto-restore the ghost image whenever the user feels so inclined.

I'm actually going to add a script that makes the CD for the user, but that's later. It'll just ask the person to put in a CD, then it'll make a ghost image on a seperate partition and transfer necessary files to the disc. :shrug:

If people are actually interested in my complete package, I suppose I could post it (sans copyrighted material, of course) when I finish my DIST version. :shrug:

@genex:

I agree that do to all fully does take a looong looong time....

I use both method's:

- Ghosting [at work] when it comes to mutliple PC's (of the same model) is very VERY useful, and is useful too as a backup to a working system @ home.

- Unattended/custom XP CD(s) is mostly likely the best way when you aren't setting up multiple PC's.

What you could try is a basic unattended CD that automatically installs XP, with all the hotfixes and stuff included - and then have a script that you can start from ...say a USB HDD or large USB Flash device, which then installs things like Acrobat Reader, QuickTime, etc. silently/automated.

You could customise the script appropriately to log the output and even have user choices too :)

Thats kinda what I do, not having the time for fuly getting into fully unattended "everything" XP install's ;)

Regards,

N.