Custom Winpeshl.exe

purejamie

Hello there,

Using the pre 2003 SP1 version of winpe I was able to use a custom winpeshl.exe to boot the machine and run certain different apps (so dos boxes didn't appear etc.) .. However, since upgrading to the new version of WINPE included with Server 2003 SP1 the shell does not work. It continually returns LSASS errors ("The requested operation was unsusccessful" and the like) and reboots the machine.

Does anyone know what has changed between versions that cuases this to happen? Or any pointers towards what I need to do to get it working again?

Many thanks,

Jamie.

Thanks for the reply.. I was aware of the major things they have added such as Ram disk booting, x64 etc. Could you expand more on the other things - such as checks on files etc. that could change the way in which the winpeshl.exe is found/exeuted and what that depends on...

Many Thanks,

Jamie.

I don't have specifics on the filechecking, I just know it's being done. I know this because I am trying to make a multi-boot iso image with multiple versions of WinPE on it, and the setupldr.bin file needs to be modified for that to work. If the file is modified then WinPE won't boot, and spits out an error message saying the NTLDR file is courupt.

I'm still trying to get more info on it. I have some contacts inside Microsoft looking into it now. But no info as of yet.