Ris server HELL

Hey guys,

I am having a hard time with my ris stuff right now. I took over from someone that left and I am having to learn alot from scratch.

I have been trying to get it to create a Install dir in the root of the install drive and a file into prog files\intel\wireless\autoimport (need to stick the setting for WiFi in there).

I have checked though after the box has built but none of the files/dirs exist.

The dirs are in the same level as i386.

Anyone got any ideas?

Also the main reason I am doing this is because I want to have the intel wireless autorun app load only once after the machine is built to allow the import of the settings but never run again. RunOnce reg key do it or RunOnceEx?

Best way to implement (as my CMDLINES.txt with REG ADD dont seem to work)?

Cheers

P.S. could a admin create a RIS forum in the unattended section, would just make life easier :D

riprep.sif partial dump -----------------------------

[data]

floppyless = "1"

msdosinitiated = "1"

OriSrc = "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%"

OriTyp = "4"

LocalSourceOnCD = 1

DisableAdminAccountOnDomainJoin = 1

[unattended]

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=Yes

FileSystem = LeaveAlone

ExtendOEMPartition = 0

TargetPath = \WINDOWS

InstallFilesPath = "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%"

LegacyNIC = 1

END --------

Note: There is no [GuiRunOnce] Section

Is it from a CD ??? If it is u need to point out the $ dir's with the OEMFilePath = entry in ur answer file. If it is from a RIS installation, then this automatic handled by placing the $OEM$ folder with the containing $dir's on the same level as the i386 folder below ur image name.

Hope u get lucky dude... keep on dancing!

Thats the thing.

Its in the same dir as i386 as $OEM$ but the $1\Install dir is not created on the pc. Does it auto delete?

Do I need anything else in riprep.sif?

This really pishing me off lol

Hope u get lucky dude... keep on dancing!
I will try m8 :D

Ohh... u r using riprep to do an image then? this is the image based stuff of RIS. I am not to familiar with riprep.exe and how it works, i only use the flat image which is a more generic installation... since it is a image i dont know if u have to recreate the image or if is enough to just add folders post to the creation of the image.

Try both... I guess u can read tons of info on how to add the OEM folders to an riprep image on MS site or if u have to add it at the "master" image directory.

Sorry, dont have so many answers when it comes to the riprep case of RIS..

There is two ways of running RIS:

1. Image based installations (limited to / HAL) which kind of static in their nature.

2. Flat installations. This is automatic generic installation of Windows according to an answer file. The nice part about it is that u only have to maintain one installation directory for all models as long as u provide all the drivers to the installation. TheWin32 installation will by itself detect if it is a P3 or P4 etc etc and install accordingly (which riprep wont since they are using diffrent HAL's).

Once you have installed RIS onto the machine, youy can run risetup.exe /add to add an installation. U just point out the i386 for the source files and RIS will build a open / flat installation structure. It will create a default answer file which u prolly must edit so that it fits your installation. Also, u must add drivers and so on accordingly to the $OEM$ folder.

Anyway.. once the image is in place, just add the $OEM$ folders to the same level as the i386 folder below ur image name and make sure that the entry OEMPreinstall (think that is the one :D) is set to = YES. This will make the install search for a $OEM$ folder. $1 and $$ and so on will be automatically copied to ur local drive from there on.

There is a tons of things to read about RIS on MS webby and tons of stuff to do that are not really documented either with the RIS feature.

Best of luck..

P.S "PASCAL FEOS" rox

First of all download the deployment tools from MS;

deploy.chm and ref.chm, they come in diffrent flavours when it comes for the support of operating systems and servicepack levels.

For the links I dont have any good overview ones.. only for the ones I cant solve so u r better of trying to surf the waves there dude...

Cu