DHCP Problems

PoNi

Ok we currently just went through a network revamp. I deceided to reinstall everything instead of trying ot migrate stuff to my new servers. Everything has gone perfect with the exception of my DHCP Server.

I installed a toally new domain joined all my pcs to that domain using static address's. Now it was time to install the new DHCP Server so turned off the old DHCP Service and started up the DHCP service on the new server. Everything seems to be running fine. No errors in the event log, but none of my pcs can obtain a DHCP address?

Anyone know why?

My Domain server has the following services running on it - AD, Print, DNS, DHCP.

Of Course it is authorized ...

Basically when I do a ipconfig /renew is says this...

Windows IP Configuration

An Error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request as timed out.

Is there a way I can look to make sure the DHCP server is broadcasting?

Are the workstations set to receive DHCP addresses? Are the static IP addresses you gave the PC's outside of your DHCP scope? If not, change your scope IP range.

Also, you might want to look at the registry keys for TCPIP

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TCPIP

Check the Parameters key and the Interfaces key underneath parameters and delete the any IP address info. from there. Then try renewing your address.

As always backup the registry before making changes.

Good luck.

Still not working .. this is the weridest thing ever.. I mean is there a way to look at packets or something on the network to see if my server is even broadcasting it self as a DHCP?

I change my scope, I even changed the server? I do not have to reset my routers or anything do I ?

When you say you've changed the server, do you mean that you have installed a DHCP server on another box and not using the existing database? If so, then the problem is probably in your clients. If you have any external laptops, just plug it in and see what happens ... another thing, are you sure your server has network access, coz it might be this very last tcp/ip flaw

Well let me explain agian .. We had a old w2k server that is turned off now. I then Setup a new domain with DNS, AD, and DHCP. No machines could talk to the DHCP server.. and the event log is clear. So I decide just for fun to uninstal the DHCP server and install it on another new w2k server using a differnt pool and all.. And nothing?

No client can find the DHCP server...