Playstation 3 Specs

un4given1

what if we all don't write posts impossible to read? ;)

at this moment is clear that on the paper ps3 beats xbox 360 in probably all ways but we must agree that console war is not finished as it mostly depends on the upcoming titles.

this thread is supposed to be based on new generation consoles specs and not on m$ vs. sony or similar...

If you think that, then you *haven't read* the specs, interpreted the capabilities, understood the differences or similarities between the two systems. The fact is that, on paper even, the two systems are *very* close in capability. Yes, The PS3 has some advantages over the XBox 360 in certain areas. Yes, the XBox 360 has advantages over the PS3 in certain areas. Does either one utterly dominate the other? Not even close.

Jason

The fact is that, on paper even, the two systems are *very* close in capability. Yes, The PS3 has some advantages over the XBox 360 in certain areas. Yes, the XBox 360 has advantages over the PS3 in certain areas. Does either one utterly dominate the other? Not even close.

To be brutally honest...the XBox 360 dominates the PS3 in many vital areas. Read this, it has a great visual comparison of the specs between the two, and it is obvious that the XBox 360 is the more powerful system. Now, that doesn't mean it will do better on the market, but it has alot of potential meaning the better titles are most likely to be with Microsoft. Who knows, maybe Sony has a secret weapon!?!

The fact is that, on paper even, the two systems are *very* close in capability. Yes, The PS3 has some advantages over the XBox 360 in certain areas. Yes, the XBox 360 has advantages over the PS3 in certain areas. Does either one utterly dominate the other? Not even close.

To be brutally honest...the XBox 360 dominates the PS3 in many vital areas. Read this, it has a great visual comparison of the specs between the two, and it is obvious that the XBox 360 is the more powerful system. Now, that doesn't mean it will do better on the market, but it has alot of potential meaning the better titles are most likely to be with Microsoft. Who knows, maybe Sony has a secret weapon!?!

I have read the MajorNelson.com posting already, but thank you. Again, it's true that the 360 has some *serious* advantages over the PS3 in some areas, and also true that the PS3 has some advantages over the XBox 360 in other areas. All in all, they come out pretty similar in *overall* capability.

In any case, the real proof isn't going to be in the final hardware specs, it's going to be in the *quality* of the games that come out for the systems. Fortunately MS has managed to woo some of Sony's formerly exclusive major players, and that can have a huge impact overall. That XBox 360 will be getting *exclusive* RPG's from the (overly stated) legendary creator of Final Fantasy is a *Huge* boon to the 360, and Square's commitment to make games for the system is also a huge boon.

Particularly if Sony doesn't ship a HDD with the PS3, expect things like, for example, Chrono Trigger 3 to appear as an XBox 360 game, and that, if it comes to pass, is a game which will sell millions of systems all by itself. MS would be very smart to subsidize that game's development for Square ;)

Jason

Here is a nice article that reflects on when the Xbox and PS2 were unveiled and what was said they were going to do. It gives you an idea of how companies lie to sell a product. The same holds true at this years E3. There will be stuff that never happens that was said would.

There's no question that things will change before launch... but what I have to say is that if Sony has that extra 6 months to launch and does not top the XBox then that will just be a shame. Only time will tell.

I will indeed purchase the PS3 over the XBOX 360 not because either one of them is more powerful or whatever else that people are comparing the two by I am so comfortable with my current system which is the PS2 that I don't really want to get use to another system. I just hope they make it affordable enough for the average joe. Both Sony and Microsoft are going to sell what they have to offer to most of there loyal fans so it really doesn't matter who's system is more powerful all that crap is just for bragging rights anyway. Good luck to both systems in which I hope revolutionalize the gaming industry forever!

There's no question that things will change before launch...  but what I have to say is that if Sony has that extra 6 months to launch and does not top the XBox then that will just be a shame.  Only time will tell.

I'm sure they will change bit, but I am not sure that's the point. i agree that, with 6 months extra lead time Sony *should* have a more powerful system than Microsoft. As mentioned above I think it's clear that PS3 *does* have some advantages, but also that XBox 360 has some as well. Some of PS3's announced features are, I think, nonsensical. The inclusion of a router, for example, is simply a "look, we even have the kitchen sink!" feature that has little or nothing to do with helping developers be more innovative or productive with their games. It's a fluff feature. I also think that 6 USB ports are overkill. As it stands, we never got much use out of the TWO USB ports on PS2, and the firewire port, much touted by Sony at the launch, was to my knowledge *never* used by *any* peripheral.

Again, I'm sure that both will have the "hardcore" fans who will buy exclusively their consoles. Personally, I think those people are rather foolish, limiting themselves in such a way. The fact is that every single one of the current gen systems (and previous gen, and the gen before that) and therefore reasonably the *next* gen systems will have games and gameplay experiences that can *only* be found on their systems. As a gamer, I enjoy *games*, and while I'm enthused and excited by the hardware, and annoyed by misleading pomp, hype and advertising, I fully expect that I will end up owning all three of the new systems. Whether I will get *any* of them at launch depends solely on the launch lineup. To date, the only two systems I've ever seen launch with "must have" games were Dreamcast and XBox. I didn't get a *good* PS2 game until a *year* after the system launched (Metal Gear Solid 2 and Final Fantasy X), and by that time the system had dropped by, if I recall, $100 or some such number.

Anyway, so far we have surely not seen anyone announce an *underpowered* machine, so there's not a great deal of reason to complain just yet. THe fact that none of the systems has even *launched* yet should be enough to tell any reasonable person that declaring a "winner" and "loser" at this stage is the realm of abject stupidity alone.

Jason

Shame that one of the cores is disabled, 8 is a good number, but is 7 better.

Guess they had to much power.

I would bet too much heat and too low of yields. Slashdot had a link to IBM's unveiling of their Cell based blade server the other day, and the pictures of it were fear-striking. The heatsinks and fans on the CPU's must have been 90-120mm or so (hard to tell from the pic) and they were only running at 2.4Ghz. Whatever else we can say about Cell, it's gonna run *Hot*.

Jason

Maybe Sony should implement what some guys did a while back to OC their P4 to 6GHz... liquid nitrogen!!! I can buy that stuff cheaper than bottled water at the Physics department at UBC... it's nuts!