Real QuickTime, what player?

What player do you prefer for use with your UA CD/DVD?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What player do you prefer for use with your UA CD/DVD?

• RealOne Player V2 & QuickTime 6.5.2
    • Real & QuickTime Alternative
    • Other Players
    • I do not include Real / QuickTime support

all i need: qtlite & realite (thx to titou!), ffdshow => media player classic (+ vlc, plays cell phone videos & just in case)

only thing left for me is copy the right plugins to my browser folders and voila... never encountered a file i couldn't play

the only problem is i have to start IE shell for some streaming video on crappy sites

cheers :whistle:

Can I asociate all files played with MPC to WMP10?

I'm having trouble making a list of all the files from k-lite mega codec pack that I can play with WMP10.

:thumbup I have:

REG ADD %KEY%\040 /VE /D "Windows Media Player 10" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\040 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Software\WMP10\setup.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\045 /VE /D "Quicktime Alternative" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\045 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Software\Quicktime_Alt\setup.exe /VERYSILENT" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\050 /VE /D "RealPlayer Alternative" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\050 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Software\Real_Alt\setup.exe /VERYSILENT" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\055 /VE /D "XP Codec Pack" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\055 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Software\XP_Codec_Pack\setup.exe /S" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\055 /V 2 /D ""C:\Program Files\XP Codec Pack\mpc\mplayerc.exe" /unregvid" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\105 /VE /D "Importing registers"
REG ADD %KEY%\105 /V 1 /D "REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\Install\Registers\codecs.reg" /f

codecs.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.avi]
@="AVIFile"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AVIFile\shell]
@="play"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AVIFile\shell\open]
@="&Open"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AVIFile\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Windows Media Player\\wmplayer.exe\" /prefetch:8 /Open \"%L\""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AVIFile\shell\play]
@="&Play"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AVIFile\shell\play\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Windows Media Player\\wmplayer.exe\" /prefetch:8 /Play \"%L\""

ps: credits goes to Yzowl, he helped me with this!

edit: sorry, its only avi :whistle: (I think this: mplayerc.exe /unregvid is enough)

There really are an almost sickening number of media players on the net you can try nowadays. Some are highly wortwhile, others are just garbage....it can be hard to choose between them. Technicly the Real/Quicktime alternatives aren't exactly 100% legal becaues they both make use of propriatary code used by the official Quicktime and Real players...proof enough of this is when you install Quicktime Alternative, the "official" Quicktime icon and control panel settings show up in your control panel.

However, from personal experience, I would highly recommend using them. The Realplayer fills your system with so much advertising garbage its nearly insane. The offical Quicktime player doesn't do this, but if you install it with iTunes, then you can have a real mess on your system. If you really want iTunes "look/feel", save yourself the grief and just download one of the excellent skins for WMP, WinAmp, or QCD.

I do a lot with audio/video creation and editing on PC. As such, i've tried most all of the popular media players. From personal experience, here is what I most recommend.

1. Quicktime/Real Alternatives and Media Player Classic for viewing downloaded Real and Quicktime files. Just make sure with the Quicktime alternative, you check the Quicktime settings under control panel and make sure that music is set to "general midi" since it doesn't include the Quicktime synthesizer. Also, check the Quicktime MIME(browser plugin) settings. For some reason all versions like to default as your player for flash files, and Quicktime does a horrible job playing them. Your far better off unchecking that option and using the Macromedia Flash Player for those.

2. QCD(Quintessential Media Player) Use this for playing all other forms of media. Why? It's 100% freeware. It never "calls home" to any server on the net every time that you use it, which WMP and many other players do. It has a very nice set of some truly awesome looking skins. It can use any WinAmp DSP plug-in, so you can use your DFX or your iZotope Ozone with it. It all supports, with the right plug-in downloaded and installed, using any WinAmp or Sonique visualization. There is excellent user support via their very friendly forums as well. The one key reason I don't support using Media Player Classic for EVERYTHING, is due to the fact it does not support skins, and has limited at best playlist support.

If your your interested in checking out either player, the current locations are here:

Media Player Classic - http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Media_Player_Classic.htm

Real Alternative - http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm

Quicktime Alternative - http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm

QCD Player - http://www.quinnware.com/