98SE2ME = Killer Replacements: ME -> 98 SE

About systray.exe:

I don't even use systray.exe [M$ bloat :(] anymore. Not necessary on my computer. I've deleted it.

I found a page with a little info about systray.exe...

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms790410.aspx

"The SysTray program (Systray.exe) is responsible for displaying the speaker icon when it is turned on and for hiding the speaker icon when it is turned off...If your sound card's volume level can be changed under software control, a speaker icon appears on the taskbar."

About systray.exe:

I don't even use systray.exe [M$ bloat :(] anymore. Not necessary on my computer. I've deleted it.

I found a page with a little info about systray.exe...

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms790410.aspx

"The SysTray program (Systray.exe) is responsible for displaying the speaker icon when it is turned on and for hiding the speaker icon when it is turned off...If your sound card's volume level can be changed under software control, a speaker icon appears on the taskbar."

For this win me systray is not compatible with certain sound cards. :)

I noticed when clicking the link to the 98MP10 page that there was an update there I hadn't seen before, regarding a cumulative WMP9 patch.

Should that be applied before or after 98SE2ME, 98MP10? And what if one runs the Auto-Patcher, skipping the 98SE2ME and 98MP10 stuff, rather wishing to install the full latest versions afterwards? Should that new cumulative WMP9 update be run (necessary)? And again, before or after 98SE2ME or 98MP10?

Just want everyone to get this done right with minimal problems, including myself.

WMP9URP was created by erpdude8:

* WMP9URP: Unofficial Windows Media Player 9.0 (WMP9) Update Rollup Pack (URP)

for Windows 98/98 SE/ME installs ALL previously released WMP9 Hotfixes,

Patches + Updates [8.56 MB, English]:

http://www.mdgx.com/spx/WMP9URP.EXE

How to install WMP9 on Windows 98:

http://erpman1.tripod.com/cmptips2.html

Because it installs only WMP files, WMP9URP should be installed after official WMP9 [without which doesn't install ;)] and before unofficial 98MP10 [which installs WMP10 files].

98SE2ME does not install any WMP files, therefore it can be installed anytime.

And I'm sure erpdude8 will answer these questions better when he returns to the forum.

HTH

Recently I did an install of everything(a relative term) on a computer I acquired. I installed 98SE2ME as part of that process. I used Maximus Decim's Cumulative Update ver.2.30 during the install instead of Gape's SP. Am I missing anything I should be installing? Should I install Gape's SP now or if not should it have been done at some other point?

What are the consequences of doing that now? Could I run 98lite now or should that have been done earlier in

the process? Where, in the following install order would you put Office 2000? I used Maximus Decim's install

order up to but not including .net before installing 98SE2ME.

1. Win98SE

2. Maximus Decim Cumulative Update ver.2.30

3. PCI098(included in MDCU)

4. DirectX 9.0c

5. install drivers for MB, sound card, net card, video card and other devices.

6. IE6.0SP1

7. q313829fix.exe (included in MDCU)

8. MDIE6CU ver.1.1

9. update macromedia flash player

10. MDDACU ver.1.1

11. Windows Media Player 9 and updates 816044, 917734 install codecs WMP 10.0

12. reinstall DirectX 9.0c

13. 98SE2ME

I have not experienced any issues with this setup but I am not able to put it online at this time.

There are a lot of variations on the install order from many respected contributors to this site. I have previously used and been happy with Bristol's install order http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=38193-the last post on page 4. It would seem that there should be an optimal install order for all this but I don't believe it has been defined here yet.

This install order works, as well as others, I don't think there is a strict order list.

As a rule of thumb, try to install older updates/packs/enhancements/etc first, and newer last.

Also, I recommend to install most official updates first [contain older files anyway] and unofficial ones last [contain newer files].

HTH

Well then it doesnt make sense to install 98se2me last, since it will copy 7-years old (!!) files from WinME CD, right?

;-)

IMHO correct order should start with:

1. Win98SE

2. 98SE2ME

then probly

3. DX90c

4. IE6SP1

5. WMP9

6. net 1.1

(then i'd do windows update, then run newer updates pack of your choice etc)

and WMP10 last...

Edited by no1none

Uh, uh.

Please read the manual! IE6 SP1, WMP9, all 98SE updates, etc must be installed BEFORE using 98SE2ME.

Just wanted to get this in here before someone actually tried to install 98SE2ME, and then update Windows. The files installed from the Windows Me cd by 98SE2ME are the latest file versions available for 9x systems. Some IE and WMP files are later replaced after running 98MP10 by using certain files from Windows XP, but besides that any fixes applied will be OLDER than what is replaced by 98SE2ME.

The vast majority of XP era fixes and files are NOT compatible with 9x and no updates include them. The exceptions are the specific files tested and included in 98MP10 and some of the work around unofficial Internet Explorer security updates. So there is EVERY reason to wait until you've finished ALL other updating of your system files, including installing Microsoft Office, BEFORE installing 98SE2ME.

Just read the readme, do things as it states, and you'll be fine.

And MDGx, thanks for clarifying the WMP updates for me.

Edited by Eck

Uh, uh.

Please read the manual! IE6 SP1, WMP9, all 98SE updates, etc must be installed BEFORE using 98SE2ME.

Just wanted to get this in here before someone actually tried to install 98SE2ME, and then update Windows. The files installed from the Windows Me cd by 98SE2ME are the latest file versions available for 9x systems. Some IE and WMP files are later replaced after running 98MP10 by using certain files from Windows XP, but besides that any fixes applied will be OLDER than what is replaced by 98SE2ME.

The vast majority of XP era fixes and files are NOT compatible with 9x and no updates include them. The exceptions are the specific files tested and included in 98MP10 and some of the work around unofficial Internet Explorer security updates. So there is EVERY reason to wait until you've finished ALL other updating of your system files, including installing Microsoft Office, BEFORE installing 98SE2ME.

Just read the readme, do things as it states, and you'll be fine.

And MDGx, thanks for clarifying the WMP updates for me.

Eck, with all due respect... "the files installed from Windows ME CD..." certainly ARE NOT the latest file versions available (if you didnt knew: Windows ME had plenty of newer files available from Windows Update). Yes, I agree that *many* of them will be newer (not only by aversion stamp), but don't forget: these are the files that went to WinME's CD printing in July 2000. Most updates for Win98 released past that date may (and should IMHO) contain newer (better?) files, even if by version number (4.1x.xxxx) they seem to be "older" than those from WinME (4.90.3000).

Tell me my logic is flawed?

"the files installed from Windows ME CD..." certainly ARE NOT the latest file versions available (if you didnt knew: Windows ME had plenty of newer files available from Windows Update). Yes, I agree that *many* of them will be newer (not only by aversion stamp), but don't forget: these are the files that went to WinME's CD printing in July 2000. Most updates for Win98 released past that date may (and should IMHO) contain newer (better?) files, even if by version number (4.1x.xxxx) they seem to be "older" than those from WinME (4.90.3000).

Tell me my logic is flawed?

Clarification:

I strongly recommend to install 98SE2ME among the last on your updates list because it upgrades to system files newer than the ones from Win98 SE setup CD-ROM [doesn't matter that WinME setup CD-ROM files are 7 years old].

It's like installing a whole new mini-OS on top of 98 SE.

98SE2ME has nothing to do with WU [Windows Update] nor any other updates/(hot)fixes/patches, new, old, official or unofficial. It does not overwrite/replace any such files [to my knowledge; please let me know if it does, so I can remove them from 98SE2ME]. It only installs files that are *newer* than default ["stock"] Win98 SE.

Complete details in READ1ST.TXT [see the "FAQ" section]:

READ1ST.TXT

HTH

Which should I run first? Autopatcher or 98SE2ME? What about the XP SP2 stuff?

I'm currently experimenting with all this fun stuff on my old, slow laptop. Already ran Autopatcher and had it install everything it's got. Just the bare bones Me stuff it installs has already made a big speed difference!

My plan is to eventually (sooner if something goes *foom*) wipe the hard drive and start fresh on the laptop.

Which should I run first? Autopatcher or 98SE2ME? What about the XP SP2 stuff?

I'm currently experimenting with all this fun stuff on my old, slow laptop. Already ran Autopatcher and had it install everything it's got. Just the bare bones Me stuff it installs has already made a big speed difference!

My plan is to eventually (sooner if something goes *foom*) wipe the hard drive and start fresh on the laptop.

Auto-Patcher installs all [or almost all] available 98SE updates, including 98SE2ME.

But some people complained that installing 98SE2ME from within Auto-Patcher results in errors.

Therefore, to avoid such problems, you should (1) install Auto-Patcher without 98SE2ME, and (2) then install 98SE2ME separately [3 MB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/4

98MP10 [i assumed that's the 1 you are referring to: "XP SP2 stuff"] is an unofficial WMP9 update to WMP10.

Complete details:

http://www.mdgx.com/98mp10/98MP10.TXT

Download 98MP10 [7.5 MB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/98mp10/98MP10.EXE

98MP10 forum:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=89934

I recommend to install 98MP10 among the last updates, because it requires WMP9 + IE 6.0 SP1.

HTH

98SE2ME · UPDATED · 4-28-2007

Please see the top of this topic for most recent 98SE2ME update.

Update:

- Added SIGVERIF.EXE + SIGVERIF.HLP from WinME:

UPDATES.TXT

Have you tested Sigverif.exe?
I have.

Your wish is my command... ;)

It seems to work ok, except for 1 problem:

Added BUG + FIX in READ1ST.TXT [under "KNOWN BUGS + FIXES" section]:

READ1ST.TXT

* BUG [NOT related to 98SE2ME]:

Both SIGVERIF.EXE 4.10.2222 (from Win98 SE setup CD-ROM) + SIGVRFME.EXE

4.90.3000 (installed by 98SE2ME options 1 + 2 from WinME setup CD-ROM) located

into %windir% [usually C:\WINDOWS] AND their shortcuts installed by 98SE2ME

options 1 + 2 as "File Signature Verification Tool (Windows ME)" + "File

Signature Verification Tool (Windows 98 SE)" cause an Invalid Page Fault (IPF)

ONLY IF ANY Advanced options other than default are selected, AND ONLY IF

current unofficial Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 Cumulative Security Vulnerability

Fix already installed:

http://www.mdgx.com/ietoy.htm#IEC

- IE 6.0 SP1 English Fix [3.62 MB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/IE928090.EXE

- IE 6.0 SP1 Italian Fix [3.62 MB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/IT928090.EXE

respectively IF CDFVIEW.DLL 6.00.2800.1902 found into %windir%\SYSTEM [usually

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM].

FIX:

- Do NOT change ANY "File Signature Verification Tool" Advanced options IF

you wish to keep current CDFVIEW.DLL 6.00.2800.1902 .

- Restore an older/original CDFVIEW.DLL build (if any) OR rename/move/delete

current CDFVIEW.DLL 6.00.2800.1902 IF you wish to change ANY "File Signature

Verification Tool" Advanced options.

HTH

Hi, this looks really promising! One question: What do I have to UNinstall first (if anything)?

I already have 98SE2ME done some six months ago or so.

Do I need to uninstall anything from that before doing the new one?

Hi, this looks really promising! One question: What do I have to UNinstall first (if anything)?

I already have 98SE2ME done some six months ago or so.

Do I need to uninstall anything from that before doing the new one?

If you wish to uninstall 98SE2ME [i assume you're refering to options 1 or 2 = which install the ~ 700 WinME system files], just follow this step-by-step guide from READ1ST.TXT [the "BACKUP + RESTORE WINDOWS 98 SE" section]:

READ1ST.TXT

Just make sure you have a backup [which you should have created whenever you installed 98SE2ME for the 1st time to preserve original 98 SE system files] to restore from.

But it is not necessary to uninstall anything, because 98SE2ME is always a full install package, and always performs the same full install which also include all current changes/updates [in this case the only changes are installing WinME SIGVERIF.EXE renamed file, WinME SIGVERIF.HLP + 2 shortcuts].

Just run the current 98SE2ME.EXE 4-28-2007 edition, as usual [3 MB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/4

and install option 1 or 2.

That's it.

This will copy SIGVERIF.EXE from WinME CABs to %windir% as SIGVRFME.EXE, in order to keep Win98 SE SIGVERIF.EXE .

After reboot, you can run either 1 of these tools from their shortcuts:

How to use both File Signature Verification Tools:

Start button -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> run 1 of these shortcuts:

- "File Signature Verification Tool (Windows ME)"

- "File Signature Verification Tool (Windows 98 SE)"

... excerpt from UPDATES.TXT [4-28-2007 update]:

UPDATES.TXT

HTH