98SE2ME = Killer Replacements: ME -> 98 SE

-uh oh, looks like broken link for 98se2me download, MDGx.....

-I'll try it on another puter, to make sure, but both browsers here failed...

Sorry for your trouble.

I just tried it and works ok.

My web provider might have had problems at the time when u tried.

Please try again at a later time.

98SE2ME [2 MB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/4

Hope this helps.

Hi, a quick question for MDGx :thumbup if I may...

I have just done a comparison between your current list of ME files known to work with 98SE with the list you had on your site from about a year ago, and was surprised to see some omissions:

C:\Windows :

GRPCONV.EXE

HIMEM.SYS

IFSHLP.SYS

C:\Windows\System :

DESK.CPL

POWERCFG.CPL

DOCPROP.DLL

DSKMAINT.DLL

FONTEXT.DLL

MFC42.DLL

MSAB32.DLL

MSASN1.DLL

MSNSSPC.DLL

MSVCIRT.DLL

SNMPAPI.DLL

REGSVR32.EXE

FIOLOG.VXD

MSSP.VXD

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers :

JPEGIM32.FLT

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Grphflt :

JPEGIM32.FLT

C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole Db :

MSDATL2.DLL

Not many, but I guess some problems were found with these and they were left out of the updated list?

Thanks,

PJ

Edited by KeBwOb

Hi, a quick question for MDGx  :thumbup if I may...

I have just done a comparison between your current list of ME files known to work with 98SE with the list you had on your site from about a year ago, and was surprised to see some omissions:

C:\Windows :

GRPCONV.EXE

HIMEM.SYS

IFSHLP.SYS

C:\Windows\System :

DESK.CPL

POWERCFG.CPL

DOCPROP.DLL

DSKMAINT.DLL

FONTEXT.DLL

MFC42.DLL

MSAB32.DLL

MSASN1.DLL

MSNSSPC.DLL

MSVCIRT.DLL

SNMPAPI.DLL

REGSVR32.EXE

FIOLOG.VXD

MSSP.VXD

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers :

JPEGIM32.FLT

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Grphflt :

JPEGIM32.FLT

C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole Db :

MSDATL2.DLL

Not many, but I guess some problems were found with these and they were left out of the updated list?

Thanks,

PJ

Hi PJ,

I believe most of these files + explanations why I removed them are listed in READ1ST.TXT:

READ1ST.TXT

under the "NEWS + CHANGES" chapter [it's a long read thou :(].

READ1ST.TXT also installs into the C:\9!M folder as part of 98SE2ME.EXE [2 MB]:

The only files that are not listed in READ1ST.TXT are:

GRPCONV.EXE = In 98SE2ME I'm using the one from MS IE 6.0 SP1, it's the same build but newer date stamp. If u install 98SE2ME, you'll find it into the C:\9!M folder.

HIMEM.SYS + IFSHLP.SYS = these are identical with the ones from 98SE setup CD.

JPEGIM32.FLT = much newer build [from MS Office 2003] is installed by MS Paint Add-on Import + Export Graphic Filters Plugins Pack:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#PNT

Hope this helps.

MDGx,

Hi. I set up my old SiS5598 board and found that my D-Link DCM202 Cable Modem has a problem with the USB drivers with the 98SE2ME installed.

With no driver installed previously, Windows will not find a driver for it when directed to the folder with the USB driver.

With the driver previously installed and working, the driver will show that it could not be started after 98SE2ME is installed. When updating the driver, it finds the files (one of which it asks for and I direct it to the folder with the files). When it asks if I should let it keep the newer (Me) versions I tell it to keep the newer versions, it asks to reboot, and it reboots to an unstarted driver same as before. If I tell it to replace the files with the older (98SE) ones, the same startup with an unstarted driver. No difference, except when I did that and it didn't work I removed the device and reinstalled 98SE2ME so I would have all the newer files back (just in case).

I'm writing now because I removed the 98SE2ME (not the program, the actual 98SE Windows files restored with the restor.bat), plugged in the USB modem again and it works perfectly. I guess that's because all the files in the Windows directory are now as they were before installing 98SE2ME.

Why doesn't the driver work with the Me files? You can see what they are, and take a look at the inf as well, by downloading it from the support area for the DCM-202 Cable Modem on the d-link.com website. It's the USB driver. The one posted is the same one as on the cd, but I used the downloaded one this time. I didn't want to wonder whether it was a problem with getting the driver files to transfer from the cd-rom drive. I extracted them all to a folder and at least that's one potential bug I know is not the problem.

If you look at the inf and the files, do you think you can figure out why the newer OS files that Me has somehow don't let the driver work?

MGDx,

What procedure do you use in 98SE2ME to backup/restore windows?

Is is a batch file? If so, what does it look like?

I want to do some hardware benchmarking on a windows 98SE system and I want to have an easy way to go back to a "clean slate" after installing and benchmarking each hardware device.

I think the Microsoft Police have kidnapped MDGx. They want to keep him locked away for two reasons. First, to stop him from making 9x so bug free and updated. The WMP10 installation batch file was the last straw. Second, they need him around to tell them how to get one guy to fix bugs in a day, when it's been taking a mult-billion dollar company months or years to patch up some stuff.

Free MDGx!

MDGx,

Hi.  I set up my old SiS5598 board and found that my D-Link DCM202 Cable Modem has a problem with the USB drivers with the 98SE2ME installed.

With no driver installed previously, Windows will not find a driver for it when directed to the folder with the USB driver.

With the driver previously installed and working, the driver will show that it could not be started after 98SE2ME is installed.  When updating the driver, it finds the files (one of which it asks for and I direct it to the folder with the files).  When it asks if I should let it keep the newer (Me) versions I tell it to keep the newer versions, it asks to reboot, and it reboots to an unstarted driver same as before.  If I tell it to replace the files with the older (98SE) ones, the same startup with an unstarted driver.  No difference, except when I did that and it didn't work I removed the device and reinstalled 98SE2ME so I would have all the newer files back (just in case).

I'm writing now because I removed the 98SE2ME (not the program, the actual 98SE Windows files restored with the restor.bat), plugged in the USB modem again and it works perfectly.  I guess that's because all the files in the Windows directory are now as they were before installing 98SE2ME.

Why doesn't the driver work with the Me files?  You can see what they are, and take a look at the inf as well, by downloading it from the support area for the DCM-202 Cable Modem on the d-link.com website.  It's the USB driver.  The one posted is the same one as on the cd, but I used the downloaded one this time.  I didn't want to wonder whether it was a problem with getting the driver files to transfer from the cd-rom drive.  I extracted them all to a folder and at least that's one potential bug I know is not the problem.

If you look at the inf and the files, do you think you can figure out why the newer OS files that Me has somehow don't let the driver work?

Hi,

Sorry about the delay, been a lil busy lately.

Please try to replace these files [they all go into %windir%\SYSTEM] from native MS-DOS outside Windows:

SETUP4.DLL

SETUPAPI.DLL

SETUPX.DLL

If that doesn't work, replace these:

CFGMGR32.DLL

CFGWIZ.DLL

FINSTALL.DLL

MSNET32.DLL

MSPP32.DLL

MSTCP.DLL

NETAPI.DLL

NETAPI32.DLL

NETDI.DLL

NETOS.DLL

NDSWAN16.DLL

NDSWAN32.DLL

RASAPI16.DLL

RASAPI32.DLL

RNAUI.DLL

Please let me know of results, and if it works, which exact files fixed your problem.

Hope this helps.

Edited by MDGx

MGDx,

What procedure do you use in 98SE2ME to backup/restore windows?

Is is a batch file?  If so, what does it look like?

I want to do some hardware benchmarking on a windows 98SE system and I want to have an easy way to go back to a "clean slate" after installing and benchmarking each hardware device.

The 98SE2ME backup/restore procedure is explained in READ1ST.TXT [78 KB]:

READ1ST.TXT

which is also part of 98SE2ME [2 MB]:

Please see these chapters for complete details:

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT

FAQ

98SE2ME.PIF COMPLETE GUIDE

Backup is only automatic:

must be run from within 98SE2ME.BAT options 1 + 2 [u have the choice not to back up].

Restore is only manual:

must be run by user from 98RESTOR.BAT.

This is the entire system backup/restore function.

Options 3 + 6 have separate backup/restore functions [only replaced fiels are backed up]:

restore must be run from Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs.

Hope this helps.

So, I boot into Command Prompt Only or an unfetterred Ms-Dos Mode and copy the files from the system backup made by 98SE2ME to the System folder, right? And when dos asks to overwrite the existing newer files (if Dos even mentions or knows they're newer), I say okay or Y (whatever it asks for)?

I'm just so used to the GUI!

The thing's running fine with what was left after undoing 98SE2ME. I almost hate to mess with it. Of course I'll let you know as soon as I do so you can not replace whichever files are needed for the use of at least this USB modem's drivers.

I noticed first hand that some things are left updated when restoring 98SE's original files. Interesting. I hadn't read the readme for several versions of 98SE2ME but was still surprised to see the new MSCONFIG still here, as I had never ran the restore before. I don't understand why the new version is better for 98SE. If we're still using autoexec.bat and config.sys then why is it better to have an MSCONFIG that will prompt just once that it noticed the Path line there in the autoexec so it will move it to the registry. Then it won't notice any other change after the initial check. And it leaves out access to those files there. The old version lets folks edit them within itself instead of in the original files or Sysedit (though I never did. I never liked looking at stuff like "user edit" and "restore" there). But, really, it seems that the new one is made for WinMe where the config files aren't used and the environmental variables really are in the registry. As far as I can tell, whatever is in my autoexec and config files are the commands that are active, and not what the new MSCONFIG has entered in the registry as environmental variables.

I don't know. It's late and tomorrow is another day. Perhaps I'll mess with it then.

Geez, that old Riptide soundcard/modem sure plays my mp3's nice with my headphones. I wish the megabucks Audigy 2 ZS and M-Audio Revolution 7.1 sounded this good! I do need to use the EQ in WMP (no bass or treble with the Riptide), but once it's the way I like it it's all so much more of a balanced sound than any of those advanced soundcards. Of course, with this weak 366MHz AMD K6-2 processor that's all I can do at one time. The KT7A with 1.2GHz was, of course, somewhat better but the music still skipped when browsing. No internet browsing while listening to music or this machine slows to a crawl. It didn't do that with a dial-up connection, but broadband doesn't agree with it. The music will skip and browsing is impossible. But, just playing WMP is great (gotta turn off the visualizations, possibly because of the always connected internet. They don't move. They did when I used just the Riptide's modem and dial-up). The speaker out is powered, so it's like a built-in headphone amp too! The card and drivers are definately not up to snuff for the modern age with multi-speakers and the bandwidth demands of broadband internet. But it plays music cleaner than any modern card I've used (and I've used way too many of them -love music and soundcards). And it plays dos games in Windows and Dos-Mode (and doesn't need emm386 loaded like the SBLive does, though most of the time I use an exit to dos pif that uses that but also have one for stuff like Ultima where I can leave it out and it works). The dosgames that will run in Windows run with my autoexec and config files clean of anything except my path statement and that ZoneAlarm thing. Bass, highs, mid, it's all there! How come modern cards don't sound this good?

Okay, since I'm just playin' with this box I'm going to see if I can find out what causes the problem.

First I'll disable the cable modem device in Device Manager and turn off ZoneAlarm from running at startup and reinstall the 98SE Service Pack to be sure most is the same as before. I also now have McAfee VirusScan 7.03 added to the equation. I'll use the control panel to stop it from running at startup and hopefully that's enough. I have no idea how it's going to react to the OS system file changes though. I need to use the 7.03 version on this old box because the new one I subscribe to slows this old box to a crawl so it's useless. The older, better designed way of VirusScan doesn't do that. I do turn off all logging so that alogserv thing doesn't run.

Then I'll install 98SE2ME.

When the modem can't be reenabled, I'll start replacing files in the order you instructed. I assume that when one set doesn't solve it, you want me to put back the files from 98SE2ME that I had replaced with the backed up older ones and then proceed to replace the next set of files with the older ones. Otherwise I'll be stuck with the older files when the new Me ones are fine! So I'll need to backup the said Me files before I overwrite them with the original 98SE ones.

Ya know, every so often I'm getting a system crash and when I reboot the HP 3970 Scanner doesn't reset itself at the Windows splash and Windows then installs an Unknown Driver for it. To fix, I need to remove the Unknown Driver, unplug the scanner's USB from the computer, shut down, unplug the scanner's power, replug it and the USB connector and upon reboot the scanner driver is back but I need to reboot one more time for the scanner to properly reset itself at the Windows splash again. The scanner is brand new. I have installed it on my main box with XP (the A7V880), but hadn't had it installed for long before I unhooked that machine and started playing with this old thing. So I really don't know whether the scanner is a lemon, my 350Watt power supply on this box can't handle the thing, the known problematic SiS 7001 USB Controller on this board is losing things, the new updated files have a problem with this scanner, you name it. Or, my power strip has every outlet being used. Perhaps the thing gets overloaded and turns off the scanner's outlet. To find out I'd need to at least use my super duper computer for a while to see if everything stays normal. I would suspect the power strip but that may be fine, since Windows is detecting a device there, where if there was no power then this scanner is not detected even if pluged in. Okay, so I decided it's not that. I highly suspect the SiS7001 USB Controller as the culprit. Plus, the fact that the board has only USB 1.0 ports, not 1.1. Hmmm, perhaps 1.0 just wasn't completely stable, eh?

Okay, I'm a gonna get to work now. If I fubar Windows completely with this I'm just going to give up. I'm already missing my speedy box! Hopefully I'll figure out the needed files for you so you can patch up 98SE2ME so it lets drivers like this modem's run properly. Don't know what's gonna happen though!

I'll post back whatever occurs to let you know.

Ha! (Thank you Chris Matthews for the Ha!) OMG it F'n works!

Okay. The only files that needed to be replaced by the older 98SE backed up files were the set with NETAPI, NETAPI32, NETDI, and NETOS dll's. The sets before that didn't work so I returned the Me files to the System folder.

So, whatever those 98SE versions do is not done properly on 98SE by the Me updated versions.

I did have to update the driver. For each set I updated the driver and at the end of the update it would say I needed to reboot. Then I would boot up to the same unstarted situation. However, the last time with this set of files, it did not ask to reboot. But I needed to so the driver would work. I was pleased to see the modem lights return. The exact message in the Device Manager properties tab for the unworking DCM-202 USB Modem was: "The NDIS.VXD, NTKERN.VXD device loader(s) for this device could not load the device driver. (Code 2) To fix this, click Update Driver to update the device driver."

What does this mean for 98SE2ME? Would not updating these files in 98SE2ME adversly effect anything else? I'm sure if the Me files effected my USB Cable Modem driver this way then other folks would run into the problem as well.

Now, if I could figure out why sometimes when clicking "Add" to add files to a multi-session cdr with Nero 6 Express turns the display off and I need to either ctrl-alt-delete 2x to reboot, or if that doesn't work then reset the tower. And although previously this had made Windows turn my scanner into an Unknown Device, the last time it did not lose a thing. And then Nero worked properly. I was adding the folders BKUP (with the 98SE versions of the dll files) and BKUPME (with the 98SE2ME versions). I wanted to make sure I had them on a cd just in case. (Although that wouldn't have helped in Command Prompt Only Mode, I would have been able to use my Ms-Dos Game Mode shortcut with the cd driver on it if Windows had some problem. I don't know, I thought it best to be prepared.)

Well, it was fun to discover that my HP Recovery Disc worked on my generic Asus SPAX-M motherboard with an HP bios that reads for a Pavilion 4440. My discs came with my first computer, a Pavilion 4430. Apparently the software for both models is the same. The 4440 simply came with a 333MHz K6-2 and 64MB SDRAM whereas my 4430 came with a 300MHz K6-2 and 32MB SDRAM. I'm using a 366 with 256MB Crucial SDRAM now, and a Jaton Video 118 G-Force2 MX400 32MB PCI. I also have a Lite-on DVD-ROM, CDRW Combo drive. PowerDVD 3.0 is the latest that will play DVD's semi-okay. Heh, it struggles to get the video to match up with the lips synch and never really gets it. This MB just can't cope. Everest puts the memory latency at over 700ms! Far worse than anything else on its chart.

I do uninstall nearly everything on the HP disc, but it was fun to see some of the old stuff. And I have a 98SE updates (the $20 thing) cd so that's how I make it 98SE. The HP disc comes with 98Gold. I now have my original computer and 2 Asus SPAX-M boards and also 2 366MHz AMD processors. I mean, the stuff was so cheap (except for the new memory) that I couldn't resist.

Now, I do have a question regarding the HD size. I noticed that the Bios reports my Western Digital 80GB HD as 65,535MB. However, using the updated FDISK Windows does detect the entire drive. To try to negate possible file corruption I only partitioned the whole thing the first time just to see what would happen. I now only have 64,400MB partitioned as a single Fat32 formatted partition. I leave the rest unpartitioned. I'm using the last Bios HP provided for these boards, the Puma 2 1.04 Bios of January 1999. I have a feeling, since it is a Pheonix Bios, it is using that Phoenix workaround instead of Int13. So that's why until the 98SE Service Pack was installed I was getting extremly sluggish file copying whether within the folders on the HD or from CD to HD. It would copy some files, then wait for the HD to catch up, then copy some more. I was like when I used to use GoBack. The system would wait until the HD stopped working before continuing. After the Service Pack and probably the HD over 32GB Microsoft Patch for Pheonix Bios's it probably has, this problem went away.

The question is, did I need to restrict the partition size? Or since Windows and even format at the end recognized the whole thing, is it safe to use the whole drive? The Bios reports the lower number but Windows will see the whole thing if I partition for it. Or did I do right by just setting the partition to a size within the Bios reported number?

And, of course, thanks so much for helping me to get the modem driver working. And I think this helps since you now know that that set of dll files stopped it from working.

Edited by Eck

! NERO is CRAP! (I say as I'm burning a CD w/Nero rite now... :blushing: )

-Nero's had NASTY lockup bugs thru "Add Files" function for quite some time... I still use Nero 5.5..., thought the lockup bugs would be fixed in your newer Nero, but apparently not! Earlier 2nite, it locked up again when I tried to resize the "Add" window (forgot for a moment that it often locks when ya do that; arg!), and had to re-do a LOOOOONG list of files for a homemade win98se reinstall CD (also forgot to Save every now & then, just in case! arg again!)...

-A good FREE replacement is CDBurnerXP Pro (not just for winXP; good for all OS's); it has -plenty- of options, including burning to DVD...

>;]