98SE2ME = Killer Replacements: ME -> 98 SE

hello. just wanted to say thank you for all the hard work on 98se2me. my system really feels more stable with this addition.

also wanted to let the people know that i had the same problem initially with my system regarding sound.

my system was win98se clean install then i put on 98se2me and my sound drivers didn't work anymore and i couldn't access the sound icon in control panel. tried several different things; none worked.

but here is my solution. this worked for me. may not work for you but try it.

clean win98se then direct 9c and ie6sp1 then 98se2me. everything installed cleanly and .... i have sound! yeah!

anyway, thanks again. hope my little contribution helps some of you out there.

hello. just wanted to say thank you for all the hard work on 98se2me. my system really feels more stable with this addition.

also wanted to let the people know that i had the same problem initially with my system regarding sound.

my system was win98se clean install then i put on 98se2me and my sound drivers didn't work anymore and i couldn't access the sound icon in control panel. tried several different things; none worked.

but here is my solution. this worked for me. may not work for you but try it.

clean win98se then direct 9c and ie6sp1 then 98se2me. everything installed cleanly and .... i have sound! yeah!

anyway, thanks again. hope my little contribution helps some of you out there.

Infact doesn't work for me..... some file surely makes troubles with volume control.

Edited by Max_04

@MDGX:

A great problem, selecting two times option 2 (win me files without wdm drivers), I've still problem of volume disabled in sounds and multimedia......

This is on a pc win98se (fresh installation) with soundblaster 16 live value drivers correctly installed.

Maybe you must edit something...

Have you tried to install option 9 [the new option without WDM drivers]?

Option 2 does install the WDM drivers [*.SYS] into %windir%\system32\drivers , but option 9 does not.

Quoted from READ1ST.TXT [the "98SE2ME.PIF COMPLETE GUIDE" section]:

READ1ST.TXT

How to install option 9:

Start button -> Programs -> 98SE2ME -> "98SE2ME.PIF - MAIN PROGRAM" shortcut

or (double-)click on C:\9!M\98SE2ME.PIF or (double-)click on

"C:\Program Files\98SE2ME\98SE2ME.PIF - MAIN PROGRAM.PIF" -> press Y -> press

2 -> press 2 -> wait for reboot.

HTH

Unfortunately I've followed instructions, but the problem remains.

Make sure when you install option 9, your Win98 SE is "clean", without any other older 98SE2ME installs.

If you have previously installed 98SE2ME options 1 or 2 in the past, make sure you backed up your OS, and then restored it.

If you don't have a backup from before installing 98SE2ME, you may need to reinstall Win98 SE "clean".

Only after that install 98SE2ME option 9.

HTH

@MDGX:

A great problem, selecting two times option 2 (win me files without wdm drivers), I've still problem of volume disabled in sounds and multimedia......

This is on a pc win98se (fresh installation) with soundblaster 16 live value drivers correctly installed.

Maybe you must edit something...

Have you tried to install option 9 [the new option without WDM drivers]?

Option 2 does install the WDM drivers [*.SYS] into %windir%\system32\drivers , but option 9 does not.

Quoted from READ1ST.TXT [the "98SE2ME.PIF COMPLETE GUIDE" section]:

READ1ST.TXT

How to install option 9:

Start button -> Programs -> 98SE2ME -> "98SE2ME.PIF - MAIN PROGRAM" shortcut

or (double-)click on C:\9!M\98SE2ME.PIF or (double-)click on

"C:\Program Files\98SE2ME\98SE2ME.PIF - MAIN PROGRAM.PIF" -> press Y -> press

2 -> press 2 -> wait for reboot.

HTH

Unfortunately I've followed instructions, but the problem remains.

Make sure when you install option 9, your Win98 SE is "clean", without any other older 98SE2ME installs.

If you have previously installed 98SE2ME options 1 or 2 in the past, make sure you backed up your OS, and then restored it.

If you don't have a backup from before installing 98SE2ME, you may need to reinstall Win98 SE "clean".

Only after that install 98SE2ME option 9.

HTH

Windows 98SE is absolutely clean... then another user on my forum has same problem installing first time 98se2me on a clean Win98se.

Italian 98se2me is aligned with your last release.

Windows 98SE is absolutely clean... then another user on my forum has same problem installing first time 98se2me on a clean Win98se.

Sorry, mate.

I can't test this, I don't have the necessary hardware. :(

Please try to eliminate 1 file at a time if you have the time, and then post here if you find which file(s) cause this problem.

HTH

Sorry, mate.

Please try to eliminate 1 file at a time if you have the time, and then post here if you find which file(s) cause this problem.

HTH

Deleting WDM files does not solve the problem, for experience.

I can restore image of Windows 98 SE (clean) and to create a modified version of 98se2me that excludes all files suspected.

Sorry, mate.

HTH

I can restore image of Windows 98 SE (clean) and to create a modified version of 98se2me that excludes all files suspected.

I've tried all, I don't think that the problem is 98se2me but soundblaster 16 live value drivers... removed more times (also manually drivers files).

when I can, I'll try to format and reinstall Win98 by zero, installing audio drivers after 98se2me.

Recently I did an install of everything(a relative term) on a computer I acquired. I installed 98SE2ME as part of that process. I used Maximus Decim's Cumulative Update ver.2.30 during the install instead of Gape's SP. Am I missing anything I should be installing? Should I install Gape's SP now or if not should it have been done at some other point?

What are the consequences of doing that now? Could I run 98lite now or should that have been done earlier in

the process? Where, in the following install order would you put Office 2000? I used Maximus Decim's install

order up to but not including .net before installing 98SE2ME.

1. Win98SE

2. Maximus Decim Cumulative Update ver.2.30

3. PCI098(included in MDCU)

4. DirectX 9.0c

5. install drivers for MB, sound card, net card, video card and other devices.

6. IE6.0SP1

7. q313829fix.exe (included in MDCU)

8. MDIE6CU ver.1.1

9. update macromedia flash player

10. MDDACU ver.1.1

11. Windows Media Player 9 and updates 816044, 917734 install codecs WMP 10.0

12. reinstall DirectX 9.0c

13. 98SE2ME

I have not experienced any issues with this setup but I am not able to put it online at this time.

There are a lot of variations on the install order from many respected contributors to this site. I have previously used and been happy with Bristol's install order http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=38193-the last post on page 4. It would seem that there should be an optimal install order for all this but I don't believe it has been defined here yet.

Recently I did an install of everything(a relative term) on a computer I acquired. I installed 98SE2ME as part of that process. I used Maximus Decim's Cumulative Update ver.2.30 during the install instead of Gape's SP. Am I missing anything I should be installing? Should I install Gape's SP now or if not should it have been done at some other point?

What are the consequences of doing that now? Could I run 98lite now or should that have been done earlier in

the process? Where, in the following install order would you put Office 2000? I used Maximus Decim's install

order up to but not including .net before installing 98SE2ME.

1. Win98SE

2. Maximus Decim Cumulative Update ver.2.30

3. PCI098(included in MDCU)

4. DirectX 9.0c

5. install drivers for MB, sound card, net card, video card and other devices.

6. IE6.0SP1

7. q313829fix.exe (included in MDCU)

8. MDIE6CU ver.1.1

9. update macromedia flash player

10. MDDACU ver.1.1

11. Windows Media Player 9 and updates 816044, 917734 install codecs WMP 10.0

12. reinstall DirectX 9.0c

13. 98SE2ME

I have not experienced any issues with this setup but I am not able to put it online at this time.

There are a lot of variations on the install order from many respected contributors to this site. I have previously used and been happy with Bristol's install order http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=38193-the last post on page 4. It would seem that there should be an optimal install order for all this but I don't believe it has been defined here yet.

This install order works, as well as others, I don't think there is a strict order list.

As a rule of thumb, try to install older updates/packs/enhancements/etc first, and newer last.

Also, I recommend to install most official updates first [contain older files anyway] and unofficial ones last [contain newer files].

HTH

Sorry, mate.

HTH

In description of option 9 add (required for certaind sound card, as creative soundblaster live value or

I've tried all, I don't think that the problem is 98se2me but soundblaster 16 live value drivers... removed more times (also manually drivers files).

when I can, I'll try to format and reinstall Win98 by zero, installing audio drivers after 98se2me.

MDGX!

I found problem, it's systray.exe 4.90.0.3002 and sounds.cpl !!!

Now volume icon is visible, before this was not possible.

However it is always necessary option 9 to install win me files.

You can exclude systray.exe (including 4.10.0.2224 version) and remove sounds.cpl only in option 9. :)

Practically in this way option 9 keeps original audio settings, without sounds and multimedia for recent sound cards I suppose.

Edited by Max_04

You can exclude systray.exe (including 4.10.0.2224 version) and remove sounds.cpl only in option 9. :)

Practically in this way option 9 keeps original audio settings, without sounds and multimedia for recent sound cards I suppose.

Thanks a lot for finding the "culprits".

About systray.exe:

I don't even use systray.exe [M$ bloat :(] anymore. Not necessary on my computer. I've deleted it.

About sounds.cpl:

Sounds.cpl from WinME [renamed from mmsys.cpl] is the additional multimedia + audio CPL [control panel applet], but the default one from Win98 SE called mmsys.cpl is still there in %windir%\system , so no problem, if sounds.cpl doesn't work for whatever reason, you always have the original mmsys.cpl to play with. After all, sounds.cpl is there to perform only 1 function: to access the Voice tab, otherwise not available in Win98 SE mmsys.cpl.

Quoted from READ1ST.TXT [from the "98SE2ME.PIF COMPLETE GUIDE" section]:

READ1ST.TXT

* Option 1:

Option 1 + option 2 also install:

- patched WinME MMSYS.CPL 4.90.3001 renamed to SOUNDS.CPL to keep also Win98

SE MMSYS.CPL:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307908

available at:

http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#WME

into %windir%\SYSTEM [usually C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM].

Backup NOT necessary because original file NOT replaced.

Added WinME functionality: Control Panel -> Sounds and Multimedia -> Voice

tab.

Open these 3 Control Panel icons to use them both [7 tabs total]:

- Multimedia [Win98 SE MMSYS.CPL] displays 5 tabs: Audio, Video, MIDI, CD

Music + Devices.

- Sounds [Win98 SE MMSYS.CPL] displays 1 tab: Sounds.

- Sounds and Multimedia [WinME MMSYS.CPL = renamed to SOUNDS.CPL] displays 4

tabs: Sounds, Audio, Voice + Devices.

So please let me know... if I understand correctly, the WinME .SYS [WDM] drivers installed in %windir%\system32\drivers by options 1 + 2 work ok on your computer with your sound card chipset?

Because if they do, option 9 is not necessary at all, and I'll remove it when I post the next update.

I'll also remove systray.exe 4.90.3002 and replace it with modded 4.10.2224 from NUSB 3.1 English, in which I have replaced the ugly IDI_PCMCIA icon group with SHELL32.DLL icon group 312 from WinXP SP2 [feature requested by PROBLEMCHYLD a while back, and implemented also into WinME systray.exe 4.90.3002].

HTH

Thanks a lot for finding the "culprits".

About systray.exe:

I don't even use systray.exe [M$ bloat :(] anymore. Not necessary on my computer. I've deleted it.

About sounds.cpl:

Sounds.cpl from WinME [renamed from mmsys.cpl] is the additional multimedia + audio CPL [control panel applet], but the default one from Win98 SE called mmsys.cpl is still there in %windir%\system , so no problem, if sounds.cpl doesn't work for whatever reason, you always have the original mmsys.cpl to play with. After all, sounds.cpl is there to perform only 1 function: to access the Voice tab, otherwise not available in Win98 SE mmsys.cpl.

Quoted from READ1ST.TXT [from the "98SE2ME.PIF COMPLETE GUIDE" section]:

READ1ST.TXT

* Option 1:

Option 1 + option 2 also install:

- patched WinME MMSYS.CPL 4.90.3001 renamed to SOUNDS.CPL to keep also Win98

SE MMSYS.CPL:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307908

available at:

http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#WME

into %windir%\SYSTEM [usually C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM].

Backup NOT necessary because original file NOT replaced.

Added WinME functionality: Control Panel -> Sounds and Multimedia -> Voice

tab.

Open these 3 Control Panel icons to use them both [7 tabs total]:

- Multimedia [Win98 SE MMSYS.CPL] displays 5 tabs: Audio, Video, MIDI, CD

Music + Devices.

- Sounds [Win98 SE MMSYS.CPL] displays 1 tab: Sounds.

- Sounds and Multimedia [WinME MMSYS.CPL = renamed to SOUNDS.CPL] displays 4

tabs: Sounds, Audio, Voice + Devices.

So please let me know... if I understand correctly, the WinME .SYS [WDM] drivers installed in %windir%\system32\drivers by options 1 + 2 work ok on your computer with your sound card chipset?

Because if they do, option 9 is not necessary at all, and I'll remove it when I post the next update.

I'll also remove systray.exe 4.90.3002 and replace it with modded 4.10.2224 from NUSB 3.1 English, in which I have replaced the ugly IDI_PCMCIA icon group with SHELL32.DLL icon group 312 from WinXP SP2 [feature requested by PROBLEMCHYLD a while back, and implemented also into WinME systray.exe 4.90.3002].

HTH

Yeah, you can delete option 9. :yes:

Sounds.cpl doesn't work for me, in particular Voice tab and Sound effects tab (the first before Audio tab).

Original Mmsys.cpl is ok.

Systray.exe 4.90.0.3002 must be removed.

About 98MP10, see also this topic:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=89934

98SE2ME · UPDATED · 4-5-2007

Please see the top of this topic for most recent 98SE2ME update.

Done:

* Replaced systray.exe with older 4.10.2224 from NUSB = and replaced ugly IDI_PCMCIA icon.

* Deleted option 9.

HTH

Ok, however in my italian release I remove sounds.cpl. :hello:

Thanks for the latest update!

If you've seen some of my recent posts you can see I'm not sure how, when, where I'll be using 98SE but it's nice for one and all to see that things are still being continually worked on to increase optimum 98SE usage and minimizing bugs in the works.

I noticed when clicking the link to the 98MP10 page that there was an update there I hadn't seen before, regarding a cumulative WMP9 patch.

Should that be applied before or after 98SE2ME, 98MP10? And what if one runs the Auto-Patcher, skipping the 98SE2ME and 98MP10 stuff, rather wishing to install the full latest versions afterwards? Should that new cumulative WMP9 update be run (necessary)? And again, before or after 98SE2ME or 98MP10?

Just want everyone to get this done right with minimal problems, including myself.