98SE2ME = Killer Replacements: ME -> 98 SE

-re: 98se2me install issues...

-ok, I re-dl'd 98se2me, and it *is* different than the previous dl (version 5.9 vs. 5.7, and diff. file contents)... weird, first time that's happened to me...

running it still had some same problems: same junk (repeated) left in autoexec.bat, and it did not backup/replace my old/current files (such as GDI* ver: 4.90.0.3002 to the new (in 9!M): 4.90.0.3003)... but this time it didn't create/leave any root dirs ("%WINDIR%", "9S2M")...

it's most likely related to the new(ish) version-checking code in 98se2me, since none of this stuff ever happened before that new code (these are the 1st runs of 98se2me that I've done which included that new code). If you'll point me to that newish code, I'll try debugging...

{ps: same/similar stuff happened when I tried it on a small, old, minimal "Control" partition of win98se (fully updated to 02-2006, incl. 98se2me of that period)...}

{pps: I never do/use "98-lite" or any other "special" mods/tweaks to my OS's, just the std. sesp2/98se2me plus your updates/patches... I do use XOSL (boot loader) & BIOS settings to switch between 3 HD's, which sometimes does seem to change the drive letters during boot, between DOS and windows GUI, but I doubt that should make any difference to the new(ish) 98se2me code...?... -any chance the new code could be thrown by unexpected values in %windir% or unexpected version numbers? -again, if you'll point me to that newish code, I'll try debugging...}

Edited by PsycoUnc

-re: 98se2me install issues...

>update: taking a peek at some of your .bat code, I noticed u use the existance of %windir% variable and file(s) named NUL (like in \windows, etc) as branching conditions... I set %windir% and %winbootdir% manually as the first lines in my AUTOEXEC.BAT, and I sometimes have files named NUL in \windows, etc... ?... any chance that's a problem? (and if it is, ya really should use more "unique" branching methods when coding, such as relatively random, unique variable/file names...)

?

>> update2: modifying/correcting according to (above), I have been able to get (some) more functionality out of 98se2me, hinting that that is/may be the prob... I'll finish testing this properly, shortly...

>>> update3: yup, confirmed (mal)functioning of 98se2me's USB (Option #8), which was exhibiting the same malfunctions, corrected when I remarked-out my windir lines in autoexec... safe to assume same will apply to #2 (since it used similar branching methods/code)... again, I'll verify soon, but safe to say this needs to be modified in 98se2me branching code...

>>>> UPDATE4 (final): yup, confirmed w/Option#2, now... a programming note: never assume anything; must use unique (nearly random) variables/filenames, nothing that a user might possibly use/set/modify himself... {I didn't follow thru the "windir" thing to find out *why* you use that as a branching condition, but it needs changing... along with the "NUL" filename branching (when doing ATTRIB stuff, etc; much too common of a filename) }

Edited by PsycoUnc

-grrr!

this latest (8-1-06) 98se2me also BROKE my usb thumbdrive driver (on two different test partitions), and uninstalling #8 did NOT fix it! :realmad:

-it keeps on AUTOMATICALLY installing it as "Unknown Device", no options, no errors, just automatically finds a listing of "Unknown Device", installs it as such, and immediately Disables it! Nothing I've tried has corrected this... -the usual way, manually pointing the Driver Updater to the dl'd Lexar driver folder just says that no driver can be found in this folder for this device, when in the past it did NOT say that, it found the driver fine and then installed it... and it worked perfectly before this, w/older 98se2me...

I really believe you should include a link to older, "safe" versions of 98se2me in the main dl post...

(there are some other relatively recent changes to 98se2me I've not been thrilled about, as well... I believe in at least one case, you removed one of the file replacements, because some IE6 update installed a newer one, but what about those *many* of us who refuse to suffer w/IE6? That ticked me off... perhaps that particular case has been rectified, it was a little while ago...) :}

I'm now looking at a full reinstall just to get my -bleepin- thumbdrive to work again... (I new I should've made yet another full OS backup before trying this latest 98se2me, but ran out of extra HD space... and my older backups would need so many changes/tweaks/updates that it wouldn't be worth it... sigh)

:wacko:

Edited by PsycoUnc

-grrr!

You... do realize that this is an experimental patch, right? Problems like this are possibly going to occur.

Also, what options did you use? I see you used Option 8, but what came first?

I'm not going to lie, I've had problems when updating old installs of 98SE2Me to newer versions, and have had to re-image my virtual machines.

Its the New Gdi.exe & Gdi32.dll 4.10.2227 causing trouble.

Before i installed it everything was working fine.After installation I wasn't able to install 98SE2ME at all.

Even after i replace it with the original files things are still broken.Power Management/98SE2ME can't

install it.It seems like the newer they get the worse they are.I will be using my older version 98SE2ME 4-20-06

where Power management and everything else works.

Keep up the good work though. And i always test Unofficial patches on a clean install.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

-grrr!

You... do realize that this is an experimental patch, right? Problems like this are possibly going to occur.

Also, what options did you use? I see you used Option 8, but what came first?

I'm not going to lie, I've had problems when updating old installs of 98SE2Me to newer versions, and have had to re-image my virtual machines.

-yes, and as I usually state, I'm still of course VERY appreciative of all the EXCELLENT work done on these projects, by MDGx, Gape, and all of you very knowledgeable and helpful people... :thumbup

-it's my own dam fault, just haven't had the time to catch up on all the backups lately (WAAY too busy to catch up on ANYTHING, lately), so believe me, when this stuff happens I'm yelling at myself 10 times as much as I do in the posts... :blushing:

-re: options...

I used #2 first, then the "shell"-stuff (#3 or #4, forget), then #8...

-and honestly, I thought I already had pretty much all the updated USB files in place; -any chance there's some (improper) registry stuff done in 98se2me in #8? The thumbdrive was already installed before, shouldn't have had to re-install it at all, much less get the "Unknown Device" AS the installed device! Why can't it recognize the thumbdrive, even when directly pointed to the dl'd driver files, when it was already easily perfectly installed WITH those very same files before? What could 98se2me's #8 have done to cause this? I don't get it... and can't seem to fix it... :no:

-there *may* be a conflict, somehow, with my (lousy!) SiS 7001/7002 (SiS650 chipset) USB crap, especially the part where it has to disable USB2.0 for win98...? dunno, just gonna *have* to find/force the time to do some experimenting w/clean installs, multiple driver sets, many updates/tweaks, etc, again...

[[if I had ANY money, I'd upgrade mobo to a nice, simple, stable Intel/etc... never never EVER buy a cheap SiS mobo! ]]

--ps: Re: "it's the new Gdi...":

I haven't noticed any problems (or any difference, at all) with ANY of the gdi* versions of/over the past year, myself... (been playin around w/both 98 & ME versions)...

Does anyone know what files I need to leave out to keep the 98SE format dialog box and selections?

I would like to keep the 98SE "Copy System Files Only" option.

Thanks

Tmod

Edited by Tmod

Its the New Gdi.exe & Gdi32.dll 4.10.2227 causing trouble.

Before i installed it everything was working fine.After installation I wasn't able to install 98SE2ME at all.

Even after i replace it with the original files things are still broken.Power Management/98SE2ME can't

install it.It seems like the newer they get the worse they are.I will be using my older version 98SE2ME 4-20-06

where Power management and everything else works.

Keep up the good work though. And i always test Unofficial patches on a clean install.

Please note that GDI*.* files installed by 98SE2ME are not 4.10.2227 [which are 98SE files] but 4.90.3003 [which are WinME files].

So you probably mean that GDI*.* 4.90.3003 are the culprit for your power management problems?

If that's the case, I will post a new build of 98SE2ME on 8-21-2006 which installs older GDI*.* 4.90.3002 files.

Hope that will fix your problem.

As the comparison TXT file shows [thank you the_gui], the only files that could make a difference for power management are the GDI*.* files.

All others have nothing to do with power management, as far as I can tell.

USER*.* files also have something to do with power mangement, but those WinME files are the same since I posted the 1st 98SE2ME build, and nobody reported any issues so far.

Thanks for your feedback.

PsycoUnc:

Sorry about all your troubles.

1. I have changed the batch code from %windir%\NUL and %winbootdir%\NUL to %windir%\*.??? and %winbootdir%\*.??? .

I'll also try to change all autoexec.bat pasting commands code in all my batch files to wininit.ini code.

This way autoexec.bat won't be used anymore by 98SE2ME.

2. About your USB thumb drive:

maybe it's the new [reduced] USBSTOR.INF installed in %windir%\INF which is also installed by Max-Decim's NUSB 2.3:

http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#9SU

that causes your errors?

Can you confirm that?

If that's the case, I'll remove USBSTOR.INF from 98SE2ME.

3. About backups:

98SE2ME options 1 + 2 now make backups of individual system files only [take very little disk space] into:

%windir%\WIN98SE.9ME = original folder name is %windir%

%windir%\SYSTEM.9ME = original folder name is %windir%\SYSTEM

%windir%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS.9ME = original folder name is %windir%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS

If you restore individual files 1 by 1 from there [reboot after restoring each file], you may be able to find the culprit.

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

P.S.:

I'll post a new 98SE2ME build 8-22-2006 sometime tomorrow.

Edited by MDGx

Does anyone know what files I need to leave out to keep the 98SE format dialog box and selections?

Thanks

Tmod

1. If you installed 98SE2ME option 3, then all common dialog boxes will change to WinME style [because of newer COMDLG32.DLL from WinME setup CD].

To restore older Win98 SE file from setup CD, run this command [example]:

EXTRACT/Y C:\TEMP D:\WIN98\WIN98_27.CAB /L COMDLG32.DLL

Where D: is the CD/DVD drive letter, change if necessary to match yours.

Then reboot to native MS-DOS [or from a boot floppy/CD/DVD] and copy it to %windir%\SYSTEM [example]:

COPY/Y C:\TEMP\COMDLG32.DLL %winbootdir%\SYSTEM

Reboot normal.

Done.

2. If you installed 98SE2ME options 1 or 2:

newer COMMDLG.DLL + COMMCTRL.DLL from WinME setup CD will be installed.

These 2 files should not change common dialog boxes.

But if you wish, you can restore older Win98 SE setup CD files into %windir%\system :

COMMDLG.DLL + COMMCTRL.DLL

found as:

COMMDLG.NEW inside WIN98_51.CAB

and

KOMMCTRL.DLL inside PRECOPY1.CAB

Extract them using a command line like this [example]:

EXTRACT/Y D:\WIN98\WIN98_51.CAB /L C:\TEMP COMMDLG.NEW

EXTRACT/Y D:\WIN98\PRECOPY1.CAB /L C:\TEMP KOMMCTRL.DLL

Where D: is the CD/DVD drive letter, change if necessary to match yours.

Then rename them:

C:

CD\TEMP

REN COMMDLG.NEW COMMDLG.DLL

REN KOMMCTRL.DLL COMMCTRL.DLL

Then reboot to native MS-DOS [or from a boot floppy/CD/DVD] and copy them to %windir%\SYSTEM [example]:

COPY/Y C:\TEMP\COMMDLG.DLL %winbootdir%\SYSTEM

COPY/Y C:\TEMP\COMMCTRL.DLL %winbootdir%\SYSTEM

Reboot normal.

Done.

MDGX, remember my old problem left unsolved?

Did anybody notice a decrease of speed when copying large files from network after installing 98SE2ME?

This week I reinstalled Windows. After installing 98SE2ME, the problem was back. This time I investigated the problem. It's not related to network, but to windows disk cache.

When I copy files from network (shared on Windows XP, one switch between computers) tranfer rate drops when the disk cache is full.

See the atached images:

First image = Disk cache set to 512MB - network tranfer and disk write speed drops

Second image = Disk cache set to 64MB - network transfer and disk write speed remains high

Replacing VCACHE.VXD v4.90.3000 with default Win98 version solved the problem.

It does work well thanks.I didn't realize at first cause most of my Win98SE computers are tweaked

exactly the same but i did notice the difference.

Thanks

Tmod

1. If you installed 98SE2ME option 3, then all common dialog boxes will change to WinME style [because of newer COMDLG32.DLL from WinME setup CD].

You're wrong, MDGx. SHELL.DLL [shell.new] is responsible for this!

SHELL.DLL [shell.new] is responsible for this
Then just do that instead with SHELL.DLL [found as SHELL.NEW on WinME setup CD inside WIN_19.CAB].

A little more polite formula [hint :yes:] would have been...

"The actual file that causes this is SHELL.DLL [sHELL.NEW] from WinME setup CD. ;)

HTH"

HTH

Edited by MDGx