98SE2ME = Killer Replacements: ME -> 98 SE

I have a issue

I can not extract a file from a cab file after 98SE2ME is installed.

I think I fixed it.

Pls reinstall 98SE2ME, see if it works, and if it doesn't, pls post here or PM me.

Tx

I reverted the INFs back to the 1st version, that worked ok.

Was under the CustomDestination directive [CDF] section, replaced ",85" with ",5":

[DefaultInstall]
CustomDestination=CDF

[CDF]
49000,49001,49002=PFD,5
49300,49301,49302=MPD,5
49400,49401,49402=SKD,5

It's still broken.

In the meantime you could just try to type this in the run box:

regsvr32 cabview.dll

:angel

Thanks loblo. MDGx can you remove WinMe version of cabview.dll it is the cause

of the broken extract function. All credit goes to loblo.

Hmm... strange.

I'm not using cabview.dll in 98SE2ME scripts to extract any files, I use only extract.exe 1.0.0610 (in native DOS + Windows = for 8.3 SFNs) + extrac32.exe 5.2.3790 (in Windows = for LFNs), and to my knowledge they both are stand alone executables.

And besides, I've always used cabview.dll from WinME with my Win98SE computer, and never had any problems.

But some internal INF functions that might need to use cabview.dll choke with the WinME version [which should not happen]... [?]

I'll have to test this in a virtual machine [hopefully soon] and will let you guys know...

Thanks for the feedback.

Hmm... strange.

I'm not using cabview.dll in 98SE2ME scripts to extract any files, I use only extract.exe 1.0.0610 (in native DOS + Windows = for 8.3 SFNs) + extrac32.exe 5.2.3790 (in Windows = for LFNs), and to my knowledge they both are stand alone executables.

And besides, I've always used cabview.dll from WinME with my Win98SE computer, and never had any problems.

But some internal INF functions that might need to use cabview.dll choke with the WinME version [which should not happen]... [?]

I'll have to test this in a virtual machine [hopefully soon] and will let you guys know...

Thanks for the feedback.

Sorry I wasn't clear, what I mean is when I view a cab file in explorer.exe the extract button doesn't work.

Replacing the WinME version of cabview.dll with the Win98SE version fixed that.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

• 1 month later...

Hmm... strange.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sorry I wasn't clear, what I mean is when I view a cab file in explorer.exe the extract button doesn't work.

Replacing the WinME version of cabview.dll with the Win98SE version fixed that.

I'll see what I can do.

In the near future I plan to fix all bugs I know of.

Thanks for your patience.

HTH

• 1 month later...

Avast 5.1.835 warning me about a trojan horse

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

Actually 98RESTOR.BAT [installs as part of 98SE2ME.EXE into the C:\9!M folder] is a plain text file with batch commands. This is the full disclosure [as you may know I have released 98SE2ME as open source]:

@ECHO OFF
IF "%OS%"=="Windows_NT" GOTO N@
IF "%winbootdir%"=="" GOTO N@
IF NOT EXIST C:\W98SEOLD\SYSTEM.INI GOTO N@
IF NOT EXIST C:\9!M\ATTRIB.COM GOTO N@
IF NOT EXIST C:\9!M\FIND.COM GOTO N@
IF NOT EXIST C:\9!M\CHOICE.EXE GOTO N@
IF NOT EXIST C:\9!M\MEM.EXE GOTO N@
IF NOT EXIST C:\9!M\MOVE.EXE GOTO N@
IF NOT EXIST C:\9!M\START.EXE GOTO N@
IF NOT EXIST %winbootdir%\RUNDLL32.EXE GOTO N@
IF NOT EXIST %winbootdir%\SYSTEM\ADVPACK.DLL GOTO N@
C:\9!M\MEM /C | C:\9!M\FIND /I "vmm32">NUL
IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO W1
C:\9!M\MEM /C | C:\9!M\FIND /I "SMARTDRV">NUL
IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO SD3
IF NOT EXIST %winbootdir%\SMARTDRV.EXE GOTO SD1
%winbootdir%\SMARTDRV 12288 16 A- C+ /Q>NUL
:SD1
IF NOT EXIST %winbootdir%\COMMAND\SMARTDRV.EXE GOTO SD2
%winbootdir%\COMMAND\SMARTDRV 12288 16 A- C+ /Q>NUL
:SD2
IF NOT EXIST C:\SMARTDRV.EXE GOTO SD3
C:\SMARTDRV 12288 16 A- C+ /Q>NUL
:SD3
IF EXIST %winbootdir%\*.INI C:\9!M\MOVE.EXE /Y %winbootdir% C:\W98SENEW
IF EXIST C:\W98SEOLD\*.INI C:\9!M\MOVE.EXE /Y C:\W98SEOLD %winbootdir%
ECHO. 98RESTOR.BAT
ECHO.
ECHO Your entire ORIGINAL Win98 SE OS was RESTORED BACK into %winbootdir% .
ECHO Your NEW Win98 SE OS was BACKED UP into C:\W98SENEW , which you can
ECHO DELETE later from within Windows to save disk space.
ECHO.
ECHO Your RESTORED Windows is loading now...
IF NOT EXIST C:\AUTOEXEC.98R GOTO AB
ECHO A | IF EXIST C:\AUTOEXEC.* C:\9!M\ATTRIB.COM/B +A -H -R -S C:\AUTOEXEC.*>NUL
IF EXIST C:\AUTOEXEC.98R COPY/Y/Z C:\AUTOEXEC.98R C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT>NUL
IF EXIST C:\AUTOEXEC.98R DEL C:\AUTOEXEC.98R>NUL
:AB
IF NOT EXIST C:\W98SENEW\WININIT.INI GOTO WI
ECHO A | IF EXIST C:\W98SENEW\WININIT.* C:\9!M\ATTRIB.COM/B +A -H -R -S C:\W98SENEW\WININIT.*>NUL
IF EXIST C:\W98SENEW\WININIT.INI DEL C:\W98SENEW\WININIT.INI>NUL
:WI
IF EXIST %winbootdir%\WIN.COM %winbootdir%\WIN.COM
GOTO N@
:W1
ECHO A | IF EXIST C:\AUTOEXEC.* C:\9!M\ATTRIB.COM/B +A -H -R -S C:\AUTOEXEC.*>NUL
IF EXIST C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT COPY/Y/Z C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT C:\AUTOEXEC.98R>NUL
C:\9!M\START /M /W RUNDLL32.EXE %windir%\SYSTEM\ADVPACK.DLL,LaunchINFSection C:\9!M\2G.INF,AUT
ECHO.>>C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT
ECHO @IF EXIST C:\9!M\98RESTOR.BAT CALL C:\9!M\98RESTOR.BAT>>C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT
ECHO.>>C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT
IF EXIST %windir%\RUNDLL32.EXE %windir%\RUNDLL32.EXE %windir%\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL,SHExitWindowsEx 2
:N@
CLS
EXIT

I'm sure you have heard of false positives when talking about virus/trojan/malware detection by known anti-virus scanning engines.

Here is another example of a such false positive, reported back to me by another 98SE2ME user in 2009:

Incidentaly NOD32 (4.0.437.0 with 10/17/2009 virus definition database) is complaining about some virus in this web page. Here is the log:

"21/11/2009 10:28:33 AM HTTP filter file http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/read1st.php BAT/ExitWindows.C trojan connection terminated - quarantined CITADEL\Administrator Threat was detected upon access to web by the application: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe."

That report was about this web page:

http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/read1st.php

which is a plain HTML file with some PHP code (plain text) to render 98SE2ME's READ1ST.TXT (which is also plain text):

http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/READ1ST.TXT

READ1ST.TXT is also part of 98SE2ME.EXE, and is copied into C:\9!M at install time.

This 98SE2ME user sent an e-mail with the actual source code (read1st.php + READ1ST.TXT above) to that anti-virus company, and to my knowledge they added my web page + text file to their list of false positives.

The solution is to test 98RESTOR.BAT for actual viruses (or/and the entire 98SE2ME installer + list of files installed into C:\9!M) by using other anti-virus engines [here is a list of popular online anti-virus scanners (free)]:

http://www.mdgx.com/vir.htm#SS

to confirm (validate) or refute (invalidate) this report.

Then please send an e-mail to Avast including the source code.

Also, you may want to update your anti-virus engine database with current virus signatures (if not already done it).

Thanks a lot for your time and concern.

Best wishes,

MDGx

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again!

We know that the shortcuts to the Pinball and GameZone games had to be fiddled with by renaming the start menu shortcut's target files to all capital letter .EXE's. That has been the case for a long time, and was a simple fix.

Now however, the problem is worse. Something that has been changed in the way the C:\Program Files is entered by the 98SE2ME option 6 batch installer makes it not find C:\Program Files at all and the games themselves aren't installed. So I wind up with all the shortcuts in the start menu but no actual Pinball or GameZone folders or files in the Program Files folder. The new script prints an additional step which is, I suppose, not working enough to set things up properly. It states that PD=C:\PROGRA~1. I guess that's program directory= C:\"Program Files" in MS-DOS language. It looks right, but it's not working here. (It might be PF= instead of PD, I forget.)

When Windows boots up the first time after the option 2 install a message box appears stating that C:\Program cannot be found. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling 982ME (just the program) then rerunning option 2 with the same exact results.

MDGx, I'm using VMware Workstation, but the VMware Player (free) now can also create new virtual disks and setup machines from its GUI. VirtualBox is useless for 98 unless on a newer PC than I have that would have hardware virtualization. Otherwise 98 runs too slowly on VirtualBox and also has some buggyness. But VMware has always supported 9x guests. You could test any of these things using that. I recall you mentioning that you were looking into installing VirtualPC for this. I ran 98 briefly on that but found its support for virtual hardware limited (no usb, etc) and some buggyness (crashes), whereas VMware is almost like running 98SE on a real computer. You only need the VMWare tools (for video drivers) and the Creative SBPCI128 WDM driver update and the 4 and 8MB EAPCI files for quite good audio support. You can get the tools by downloading the full Workstation trial, set the whole thing up using the more complete Workstation GUI, and then open the setup machine from the VMware Player that is installed along with it. When the trial runs out, you still have a free working VMware Player to use.

I know you were trying to fix up the shortcuts to the games but without having a test machine stuff like this can easily occur.

Thanks for continuing your involvement and interest in things 9x, your website, and the forum long after many (including those remaining) are really using other OS's like Linux and Windows XP, Windows 7, etc. I'd still have a real 98SE install if I still were using all IDE drives. You'll recall that activating the SATA controller at all on my hardware eventually drives any 9x install to dust. I never did find a working fix for that stupid eventual IOS Windows loading error that would bork everything.

I have something else for others to test, upnpui.dll

I was trying to find out why the safly eject hardware worked correctly on my server and not here (Here the icon shows up (so its not that hotplug.dll isnt loaded) but only for my network card, no USB devices show...) when I came accross in the ME directory this file.

It just worked and found a uPnP device on my network and a balloon came up (Why doesnt 98 have more of these balloons, with of course options to be turned off)

* Here = laptop = AutopatcherF/UPG+rp7+982me[+kex4.5]

The reason for testing, my system seems to be unique (Shimgvw works :) )

Trev

I got pinball by following the manual instructions on the mdgx.com site, except for extracting it to C:\Program Files\Pinball instead of C:\MSPINBALL. The help files were already in C:\WINDOWS\HELP.

I tried running 98SE2ME Option 6. It went through the motions of extracting stuff and again defining the program folder as C:\PROGRA~1. But the dos prompt simply closed and Windows did not reboot. That's when I went ahead and extracted the pinball game manually. I played it with full sound and music, accessed its help files, etc.

Then I restarted Windows and this time there was no error message about C:\Program not existing. I think the batch file simply gave up when it couldn't do its thing this time and just had exited. No idea why the window closed since I don't have close on exit checked on any pifs, but maybe that's either a crash that happened or it thought it had finished and that's how you set it up. No reboot though. And nothing was copied to the any GameZone or Pinball folder, neither of which was created.

Well, I have Pinball anyway, which is what I really wanted from Option 6 anyway. I have the Plus98! pack installed which has that Spider Solitaire as part of it. That DID install as part of Option 2, since it installs elsewhere than the Program Files folder which is problematic in 98SE2ME at the moment, at least for me on this setup.

I just hope nothing important was otherwise not installed. It seems that all the rest of what comes with Option 2 is here, I think.

• 1 month later...

98SE2ME works fine on an IBM TP600X notebook and has for more than two years. EXCEPT, after I had had it up a few months I discovered that if I used dial up networking (via the internal 56k Winmodem) it crashes on disconnect.

Windows itself remains mostly alive but you cannot reconnect; the modem seems to be left in some trashed state that can only be fixed with a reboot.

The walls are closing in on our ten-year effort to get broadband service -- nobody serious wants to do it here, except of course Hughes which service, unfortunately is provided via satellite and (worse) comes with Hughes service. So I may shortly be forced to go full-time dial up. If this problem can't be fixed I'll have to go back to win 98 in the short term and donno where, soon after.

I have tried removing and reinstalling dial up networking and the TCP/IP -> dial up interface using both win98 and ME files; this makes no difference. Anyone got any ideas what else to try?

THANKS for any help!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think the older versions are hosted anywhere. However I also don't think there is anything vital that the error prevents installing. Pinball is available separately or can be manually extracted and those msn games, if still around, can be accessed from the net, downloaded, etc, without handy links like Windows Me had.

Still, it would be nice if another version would come down the pike that either eliminates the error or removes the installation of those games if it can't be fixed up properly. Maybe MDGx is waiting until something more important needs to be changed or is otherwise busy.

I haven't seen updates from him in awhile. Hope all is well with him.