98SE2ME = Killer Replacements: ME -> 98 SE

Did this happen only with this new version of 98SE2ME? Have you tried older 98SE2ME versions, and if you did, did they work ok with your modem connection?

I downloaded and installed 98SE2ME on November 19, 2009. So I'm using the most updated version. I have never tried any of the past versions.

Fallback to the original versions of the files listed below:

TAPI.DLL 4.10.0.1998

TAPI16.EXE 4.10.0.1998

TAPI32.DLL 4.10.0.2222

TAPIINI.EXE 4.10.0.1998

TAPISRV.EXE 4.10.0.2222

TAPIUI.DLL 4.10.0.1998

TAPIUPR.EXE 4.10.0.1998

TELEPHON.CPL 4.10.0.1998

Tried it, rebooted, same problem. :(

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, guys.

Fallback to the original versions of the files listed below:

TAPI.DLL 4.10.0.1998

TAPI16.EXE 4.10.0.1998

TAPI32.DLL 4.10.0.2222

TAPIINI.EXE 4.10.0.1998

TAPISRV.EXE 4.10.0.2222

TAPIUI.DLL 4.10.0.1998

TAPIUPR.EXE 4.10.0.1998

TELEPHON.CPL 4.10.0.1998

Tried it, rebooted, same problem.
Aaah, shucks! :(

We need somebody who connects to the internet using a dial-up modem to test this environment.

Any volunteers?

Thanks in advance for all the trouble, time and concern.

There is another way to install 98SE2ME after having used 98Lite's 'Sleek' option (which installs the Windows 95A/B/OSR2 version of EXPLORER.EXE). This is in addition to the method documented here (about 3/4 down the page, under the text "replaces Windows 98 SE EXPLORER.EXE with older Windows 95/OSR2 version").

After installing 98Lite with the Sleek option, and before installing 98SE2ME, I patched the newly-installed EXPLORER.EXE (version 4.00.xxx) with sp193's Shell 95 Update Project (SH95UPD). The 98SE2ME installation then went fine, except for one 'Winoldap' error at the end of the extraction of ME files from the disc. This error seemed to be a failure in the reboot routine. As such it seems unimportant - nothing a manual reboot didn't fix. After the reboot, the cloning of existing system files went ahead from DOS, and the rest of the installation went as per usual.

Result! Thanks to MDGx and to sp193. :)

Edit: by the way, this applies to an 'Option 2' install of 98SE2ME, which doesn't include the shell replacement of Option 3.

Edited by bristols

There is another way to install 98SE2ME after having used 98Lite's 'Sleek' option (which installs the Windows 95A/B/OSR2 version of EXPLORER.EXE). This is in addition to the method documented here (about 3/4 down the page, under the text "replaces Windows 98 SE EXPLORER.EXE with older Windows 95/OSR2 version").

After installing 98Lite with the Sleek option, and before installing 98SE2ME, I patched the newly-installed EXPLORER.EXE (version 4.00.xxx) with sp193's Shell 95 Update Project (SH95UPD). The 98SE2ME installation then went fine, except for one 'Winoldap' error at the end of the extraction of ME files from the disc. This error seemed to be a failure in the reboot routine. As such it seems unimportant - nothing a manual reboot didn't fix. After the reboot, the cloning of existing system files went ahead from DOS, and the rest of the installation went as per usual.

Result! Thanks to MDGx and to sp193. :)

Edit: by the way, this applies to an 'Option 2' install of 98SE2ME, which doesn't include the shell replacement of Option 3.

Many thanks for your help.

I've added your fix to READ1ST.TXT under the "KNOWN BUGS + FIXES" section:

http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/read1st.php

* BUG [NOT related to 98SE2ME]:

One of 98lite options ("Sleek"):

http://www.litepc.com/

replaces Windows 98 SE EXPLORER.EXE [%windir% = usually C:\WINDOWS] with older

Windows 95/OSR2 version.

In such case 98SE2ME option 1, 2 or 3 may fail to work properly or even lock

up Windows.

FIX #1:

AFTER installed 98Lite Sleek option and BEFORE installing 98SE2ME option 1 or

2 you MUST patch OSR2 version of EXPLORER.EXE (installed by 98Lite) with

sp193's Shell 95 Update Project (SH95UPD):

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=116260

In case you experience any Winoldap errors -> reboot.

Now install 98SE2ME option 1 or 2. [thank you bristols]

Thanks! :thumbup

You're welcome, of course. :thumbup

But: oops! I have to correct myself on an important point. The only file patched by the latest version of sp193's Shell 95 Update is SHELL32.DLL, not EXPLORER.EXE:

Currently it only tampers with SHELL32.DLL, making it more "Windows 98 compatible".

So please update your documentation and accept my apologies for any confusion!

Edited by bristols

Hello again.

The main reason I installed 98SE2ME was to get better USB support. But I haven't been able to get that going, yet. :(

After installing 98SE2ME, I also installed the "NUSB.EXE" which is the generic USB driver set for Win98SE. But regardless of this, Windows keeps installing "USBMPHLP.PDR" and "IOS.VXD" as the alleged driver for my USB card reader, DVD writer, etc. These don't work, because the devices come up with yellow exclamation marks under System. I can't use them. So... d'oh.

Obviously, I figure I am doing something incorrectly. Thus, any help with this is appreciated.

I have also tried numerous solutions to fix the afforementioned crash problem with my 56k modem, to no avail. This included disabling nearly every program that loaded at startup, checking and re-checking drivers, etc. If anyone is connecting to the internet via modem, or has the option to do so, I'd appreciate them looking into this.

Thanks, guys.

After installing 98SE2ME, I also installed the "NUSB.EXE" which is the generic USB driver set for Win98SE. But regardless of this, Windows keeps installing "USBMPHLP.PDR" and "IOS.VXD" as the alleged driver for my USB card reader, DVD writer, etc. These don't work, because the devices come up with yellow exclamation marks under System. I can't use them.
You need to stop Windows from re-installing those 2 files [uSBMPHLP.PDR + IOS.VXD] each time after you update drivers or re-install NUSB, because you need to keep the updated versions installed by NUSB 3.3.

If you have Win98 SE setup CAB files (copied by you or by 98SE setup) on your hard disk(s), it's a good chance they are located in %windir%\OPTIONS\CABS [%windir% = usually C:\WINDOWS].

Just rename that directory to something else, like C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS.old\CABS.old (example).

Then re-install your drivers and/or NUSB.

And when Windows prompts you to reinstall/restore needed system files from Win98 SE CABs [you just renamed] or setup CD-ROM [make sure 98SE setup CD is *not* inside your CD/DVD drive(s)], answer Cancel or No [or similar].

Later when you're done installing your USB drivers + NUSB, rename that folder back to the original name:

C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS

Done.

FYI:

Guide on how to copy Win9x/ME CABs from setup CD-ROM to your hard disk:

http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/software...bs/movecabs.htm

HTH

But: oops! I have to correct myself on an important point. The only file patched by the latest version of sp193's Shell 95 Update is SHELL32.DLL, not EXPLORER.EXE:
Currently it only tampers with SHELL32.DLL, making it more "Windows 98 compatible".
So please update your documentation and accept my apologies for any confusion!
No problem.

Here is the updated Read1st.txt [look under the "KNOWN BUGS + FIXES" section]:

HTH

You need to stop Windows from re-installing those 2 files [uSBMPHLP.PDR + IOS.VXD] each time after you update drivers or re-install NUSB, because you need to keep the updated versions installed by NUSB 3.3.

Success!

I was beginning to think I'd never see the day when I would be able to properly use my USB storage devices with Win98SE. But now that day has come, and it's a hearty victory indeed.

Thanks for your help. :D

Edited by Click Beetle DX

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

I have never used 98SE2ME.

Is it compatible with the Win98SE SP3 beta4?

What kind of improvement will I get if I install it in addition?

I have read the READ1ST.PHP, but not seems to speak about this particular point.

98SE2ME is designed to work 100% with unofficial 98SE SP2 any edition, including the latest 3.0 beta 4.

To my knowledge there have never been problems installing these 2 packages.

I strongly recommend to install SP2 3.0 beta 4 first, and then 98SE2ME, as stated in READ1ST.TXT under the "FAQ" section [read1st.php is just a "wrapper" web page for the .TXT file]:

* Unofficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack 2 (SP2):

http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

MUST be installed BEFORE installing 98SE2ME options 1, 2, 3 or 5 because all

Win98 SE system files installed by Unofficial SP2 listed below are REPLACED

by 98SE2ME with SAME BUILD, NEWER and/or PATCHED (WinME) versions [this may

change in future releases], but this should NOT affect operating system

compatibility NOR stability...

FYI:

Just to be safe, select to backup your entire OS [when you install option 1 or 2], if you have never installed 98SE2ME before:

http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/98setome.gif

If everything works ok, you can always delete the backup later: pls see READ1ST.TXT for complete details under the "BACKUP + RESTORE WINDOWS 98 SE" section.

HTH

I've tried 98SE2ME today (French install - Déc-12-2007).

Option 1 is running but the icons are broken in the systray,

and at every reboot the OS is looking for a folder 92SM (don't remenber the exact name) in /Windows/ or /WINDOWS/SYSTEM/ that he does'nt find...

Option 3 had crashed everything (error with SHELL32.dll at reboot) and I needed to restore the system with DriveImage.

Edited by CharlesF

I've tried 98SE2ME today (French install - Déc-12-2007).

Option 1 is running but the icons are breaking in the systray,

and at every reboot the OS is looking for a folder 92SM (don't remenber the exact name) in /Windows/ or /WINDOWS/SYSTEM/ that he does'nt find...

Option 3 had crashed everything (error with SHELL32.dll at reboot) and I needed to restore the system with DriveImage.

Sorry to hear that. :(

98SE2ME French edition is not my work. It was created by Matze (MSFN user) a while back.

You can probably contact him at:

http://www.matze.fr/post/2008/09/13/98SE2M...nts-FR-12122007

Now that I know about the errors, I'll remove it from my site until Matze can fix it.

Thanks a lot for your concern.

98SE2ME French edition is not my work. It was created by Matze (MSFN user) a while back.

Now that I know about the errors, I'll remove it from my site until Matze can fix it.

I can't be sure that the french installer is guilty.

Matze is doing a lot of work on his site.

He had translated several version of Win 98SE SP2 & SP3 with no problem.

Could it has been something with my PC (or settings)?

I had copied the 'win9x' folder from Win Me install CD on my HD (C:\WINDOWS\Desktop) [i think the .pif read everything from it],

and the original CD was still in the first optical drive (E:)