98SE2ME = Killer Replacements: ME -> 98 SE

Thanks for your kind welcome. ;)

This is the only update I have for now, more later...

Good to see you guys!

HTH

PROBLEMCHYLD:

98SE2ME doesn't install vxdmon.vxd .

It's part of System Restore, something 98SE2ME doesn't do. :(

All other requests have been fulfilled. Hope u like. ;)

HTH

UPDATED · 11-12-2009

Please see the 1st post for most recent 98SE2ME update.

11-12-2009

* Options 1 + 2: replaced newer WinME WAN.TSP [%windir%\SYSTEM] from WinME

setup CD-ROM with older Win98 SE WAN.TSP [%windir%\SYSTEM] from Win98 SE setup

CD-ROM to fix nasty (USB) xDSL modems (RAS)PPPoE bug. [thank you Geo]

Breakthrough: 98SE2ME works now properly with xDSL and RASPPPoE!

* Options 1 + 2: added newer WinME IRPROPS.CPL + IRFTP.EXE 4.90.3000

[%windir%\SYSTEM]. [thank you PROBLEMCHYLD]

Enjoy.

PS:

And thanks again to every1 for the kind welcome...

98SE2ME · UPDATED · 11-12-2009

Welcome back MDGx! Notwithstanding everyone else's efforts here, you've been missed. :)

The latest release of 98SE2ME is more than 1 MB larger than the previous one. How come (just out of interest)? Would that just be the addition of IRPROPS.CPL and IRFTP.EXE?

(Also, I've sent you a PM.)

Edited by bristols

Welcome back MDGx! Notwithstanding everyone else's efforts here, you've been missed. :)

The latest release of 98SE2ME is more than 1 MB larger than the previous one. How come (just out of interest)? Would that just be the addition of IRPROPS.CPL and IRFTP.EXE?

(Also, I've sent you a PM.)

Great to be welcomed back... ;) Thanks every1!

Why 98SE2ME is now 4.2 MB instead of usual "self" [2.8 MB]:

I replaced the 3 Vpatch EXEs (PATMM.EXE, PATSH.EXE + PATWV.EXE) [small] for SHELL32.DLL, WEBVW.DLL + MOVIEMK.EXE [option 3] with the actual files [much larger].

The new added files [like irprops.cpl + irftp.exe] do not usually add to the size of the installer if they are on the WinME setup CD-ROM. Only files newer/patched/modified and not found on the setup CD-ROMs are actually added to 98SE2ME.EXE .

Best,

MDGx

PS:

I've also answered your PM.

HTH

98SE2ME · UPDATED · 11-12-2009

Please see the top of this topic for most recent 98SE2ME update.

11-12-2009

* Options 1 + 2: replaced newer WinME WAN.TSP [%windir%\SYSTEM] from WinME

setup CD-ROM with older Win98 SE WAN.TSP [%windir%\SYSTEM] from Win98 SE setup

CD-ROM to fix nasty (USB) xDSL modems (RAS)PPPoE bug. [thank you Geo]

Breakthrough: 98SE2ME works now properly with xDSL and RASPPPoE!

* Options 1 + 2: added newer WinME IRPROPS.CPL + IRFTP.EXE 4.90.3000

[%windir%\SYSTEM]. [thank you PROBLEMCHYLD]

Ran option 2 and it did not replace the ME wan.tsp with the 98, but did replace IRPROPS.CPL + IRFTP.EXE 4.90.3000.

Had to replace manually out of 98! folder.

Ran option 2 and it did not replace the ME wan.tsp with the 98, but did replace IRPROPS.CPL + IRFTP.EXE 4.90.3000.

Please let me know if there is a copy of WAN.TSP [37200 bytes] in C:\9!M [it should be, it is installed by 98SE2ME.EXE].

When you 1st run 98SE2ME, even if you don't install any options, WAN.TSP should be copied into %windir%\SYSTEM from within 98SE2ME.BAT:

ECHO A | IF EXIST %windir%\SYSTEM\WAN.TSP C:\9!M\ATTRIB.COM/B +A -H -R -S %windir%\SYSTEM\WAN.TSP>NUL
IF EXIST C:\9!M\WAN.TSP COPY/Y/Z C:\9!M\WAN.TSP %windir%\SYSTEM>NUL

When you install option 1 or 2, WAN.TSP is copied to the temp install folder [C:\9S2M] from C:\9!M, and to %windir%\SYSTEM [from O2.BAT and from 2G.INF], just to make sure. ;)

O2.BAT:

IF EXIST C:\9!M\WAN.TSP COPY/Y/Z C:\9!M\WAN.TSP C:\9S2M\SYSTEM>NUL
ECHO A | IF EXIST %windir%\SYSTEM\WAN.TSP C:\9!M\ATTRIB.COM/B +A -H -R -S %windir%\SYSTEM\WAN.TSP>NUL

2G.INF:

[s][INO]
CopyFiles=WAN
[WAN]
WAN.TSP,,,4
[DestinationDirs]
WAN=11[/s]

And just to be sure, I uploaded 98SE2ME.EXE again...

Please download it and try 1 more time [4.2 MB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/4

Thanks for your time + concern.

Best,

MDGx

Edit:

Removed backup installation of WAN.TSP from 2G.INF, because WAN.TSP may be deleted from C:\9!M after being copied to %windir%\SYSTEM . [This is a limitation if INF files CopyFiles directive. :(]

Please let me know if there is a copy of WAN.TSP [37200 bytes] in C:\9!M [it should be, it is installed by 98SE2ME.EXE].

When you 1st run 98SE2ME, even if you don't install any options, WAN.TSP should be copied into %windir%\SYSTEM from within 98SE2ME.BAT:

When you install option 1 or 2, WAN.TSP is copied to the temp install folder [C:\9S2M] from C:\9!M, and to %windir%\SYSTEM [from O2.BAT and from 2G.INF], just to make sure. ;)

O2.BAT:

IF EXIST C:\9!M\WAN.TSP COPY/Y/Z C:\9!M\WAN.TSP C:\9S2M\SYSTEM>NUL

2G.INF:

[s][INO]
CopyFiles=WAN
[WAN]
WAN.TSP,,,4
[DestinationDirs]
WAN=11[/s]

And just to be sure, I uploaded 98SE2ME.EXE again...

Please download it and try 1 more time [4.2 MB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/4

Thanks for your time + concern.

Best,

MDGx

Edit:

Removed backup installation of WAN.TSP from 2G.INF, because WAN.TSP may be %windir%\SYSTEM after being copied to %windir%\SYSTEM . [This is a limitation if INF files CopyFiles directive. :(]

Yes it did put a copy in C:\9!M, and I just move it to %windir%\SYSTEM - so it was not deleted from 9!M.

Have not run new 98SE2ME.EXE , because I move it manualy.

Thanks for the reply

Hello, everyone.

Let me start off by saying that I think 98SE2ME is a great idea. I look forward to getting the most out of its added stability and functionality. First, however, I need to overcome a hurdle. Hopefully someone here can help me out.

After installation of 98SE2ME, everything is running fine on my system except for my modem. It's an Actiontec external 56k, model EX560LKA. Dialing out with the modem and connecting (and staying connected) to the internet is fine. But if I try to disconnect from the internet, a blue screen pops up:

Fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:00000013

After that, I can't use my modem to dial out anymore without a reboot, and the system gets pretty lethargic as well. I never had this problem before installing 98SE2ME, and it isn't resolved by removing / re-installing the modem drivers.

Any help or hints as to a potential solution would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by Click Beetle DX

After installation of 98SE2ME, everything is running fine on my system except for my modem. It's an Actiontec external 56k, model EX560LKA. Dialing out with the modem and connecting (and staying connected) to the internet is fine. But if I try to disconnect from the internet, a blue screen pops up:

Fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:00000013

After that, I can't use my modem to dial out anymore without a reboot, and the system gets pretty lethargic as well. I never had this problem before installing 98SE2ME, and it isn't resolved by removing / re-installing the modem drivers.

Gee... that's not good. :(

Unfortunately I can't test a dial-up modem/connection on my system, I don't have one, and all my buddies have cable or DSL.

Did this happen only with this new version of 98SE2ME? Have you tried older 98SE2ME versions, and if you did, did they work ok with your modem connection?

Thanks for your time.

Everybody:

If any1 in this forum can test this [similar environment], and if any fixes/workarounds found, please post here.

Thanks.

@Click Beetle DX:

While I cannot test it myself, I have a suggestion:

Fallback to the original versions of the files listed below:

TAPI.DLL 4.10.0.1998

TAPI16.EXE 4.10.0.1998

TAPI32.DLL 4.10.0.2222

TAPIINI.EXE 4.10.0.1998

TAPISRV.EXE 4.10.0.2222

TAPIUI.DLL 4.10.0.1998

TAPIUPR.EXE 4.10.0.1998

TELEPHON.CPL 4.10.0.1998

Notice that not all of them are substituted by 98SE2ME, so check their versions, and those that already match the version number to the right of each name don't need to be replaced. Those that don't, you should rename and add back the original one, from Win 98SE CD.

After testing, please do report whether this solves your issue.