98SE2ME = Killer Replacements: ME -> 98 SE

Normally I'd agree, but personally I had some experience with a friend's system that I enhanced with 98SE2ME and the shutdown sequence is a bit confusing, because the machine is AT not ATX, hence it does not shutdown automatically.

I had performed a few tweaks on that system, including deleting temporary files and such on shutdown, which creates certain HDD activity and when the logos are missing, the user is uncertain as to how long should they wait until pressing the Power button to actually shutdown the machine.

I believe this is one situation when those logos (or at least logos.sys, the last one) do prove to be useful. Maybe anonymous or somebody else could tweak those system files to at least allow logos.sys to be displayed on shutdown.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there a reason why this couldn't be made a Full Install patch (update files included)?

The unofficial patches for Windows 98 SE found in Gapes Unofficial Service Pack offen contains files from newer operating systems, so why not make a complete 98SEME patch with all of the latest unofficial updates and the newer WinME files?

Not that I'm aware of, unless you have had erratic mouse cursor problems, like I used to have when I was using Win98 SE USER*.* files, that were fixed by the WinME USER*.* files.

Recommended:

If using 98SE2ME option 3, you may want to keep the WinME USER*.* files.

HTH

I did install option 3...

So do you I reccomend I keep my system unable to view shutdown logos if option 3 is installed?

It's all up to you, whichever you prefer...

1. see the logos when you shut down Windows or

2. keep the features installed by 98SE2ME option 3 [and the rest of WinME files].

P.S.:

IMHO: I keep the WinME files, I don't care about any wait-to-shut-down +/- shut-down logos, the only logo I want to see is the startup/bootup logo [C:\LOGO.SYS], which is not affected by the WinME USR*.* files. ;)

HTH

For what it's worth, I used Win 98 FE for six years and only ever saw LOGOW.SYS flashed on the screen very briefly a handful of times. I usually only saw LOGOS.SYS.

When I finally got around to installing 98SE I did a clean install and have never seen either LOGOW.SYS or LOGOS.SYS appear on the screen despite having installed both of the official 98SE shutdown patches, and that was BEFORE I installed USER.EXE from WinMe. When the computer powers down the screen just goes black and that's it. Now I have two computers running 98SE and it's the same story with both of them, no LOGO files on shutdown even though they are installed. Both are Gateways, one with a 440BX motherboard and the other with a i810e chipset. Some systems just seem to work that way.

Dear MDGx:

I do appreciate your 98SE2ME a lot.

But the modded SYSDM.CPL 4.90.3001 included in it, besides saying "Microsoft Windows 98 Second

Edition", instead of "Microsoft Windows ME", suppresses the display of the version info to avoid the

old "4.90.3000 A" version mistake from appearing. But there it remains...

So I decided to try my hand at it and modded once again the SYSDM.CPL 4.90.3001, which I got from

ME280800.EXE, for it to say "Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition", but did not suppress the version

info display. All I accomplished up to this point was to get the "4.90.3000 A" version apearing once more...

But, it turns out that SYSDM.CPL gets its version info from inside USER.EXE (of which I use 4.90.3001,

of course!). In fact, the ASCII string "4.90.3000" can be found inside it exactly three times. The last one

is part of the version info resource, so I let that one alone and hexedited the other two to be "4.10.2222",

and, bingo!, now SYSDM.CPL shows the windows version correctly as "4.10.2222 A". I have been using

these two modded files on my system for over a fortnight now, and have detected no adverse effects

from the above described mods. So I feel confident they are safe. Hence I decided to post here about

my modded files, in case you, or any other member of the forum, find them interesting.

They can be uploaded at http://rapidshare.com/files/39988442/Nu_Mod.zip

Keep on the great work!

I wanted to see if it was really necessary to mod two of the strings or whether one was enough. The first one occurs at hex offset: 00080D40. I changed the "4.90.3000" to "4.10.2222" in USER.EXE and installed it. No change, the version number in the System Properties dialog box still read "4.90.3000 A".

On the second try I changed the second incidence at hex offset: 00083220 from "4.90.3000" to "4.10.2222" and left the first one unchanged. When I installed it the version number in the System Properties dialog box read the correct 98SE version number 4.10.2222 A. It is only necessary to mod the second one.

There are quite a few other strings where the second incidence of the version number occurs so it looks as though its function is purely cosmetic. Don't know about the first one though.

As I was looking at the System dialog box with the correct 98SE version number I thought it doesn't look right somehow given the fact that I replaced so many of the 98SE file with those of WinMe. So I modded the WinMe USER.EXE again this time to "4.10.3000" in keeping with the spirit of the 98SE2ME project. The version number now appears as "4.10.3000 A" in the System Properties dialog box on my computers.

If I decide later to install Option 3 with its more WinMe-like interface I'll mod USER.EXE again so the version number reads "4.90.2222 A". A nice touch I think.

As you may know because dencorso

have patched Vxdmon.vxd, WinME System Restore now works on Win98SE

now i was thinking these files you had on the DoNot install list is it possible to re-test

these files using the dencorso file technique

BIOS.VXD

DFS.VXD

ENABLE2.VXD

ENABLE4.VXD

FILESEC.VXD

FIOLOG.VXD

ISAPNP.VXD

MMDEVLDR.VXD

MSSP.VXD

NDIS.VXD

NDISWAN.VXD

NTKERN.VXD

PCI.VXD

SERENUM.VXD

SERIAL.VXD

UNIMODEM.VXD

VMM32.VXD

VNETSUP.VXD

VPOWERD.VXD

VREDIR.VXD

Hi PROBLEMCHYLD!

DFS.VXD, NTKERN.VXD, UDF.VXD and VNETSUP.VXD are the next files I intend to patch and test,

as soon as I release those I'm still testing.

VMM32.VXD is a compressed compilation of VXDs, created during windows install procedure, so

patching it afterwards is impossible. If all its components are patchable and work ok it would be

possible to recompile a new VMM32.VXD from the individual VxDs, but that's another story entirely.

All others may work. And may even enable other files to work, that depend on them.

Edited by dencorso

Just incredible work as always MDGx :)

Though I did have a question - I've not yet performed a manual installation by myself but, would it be possible to use glaurung's native slipstreamer to add in the contents of 98SE2ME natively? That is, are all the files to install direct replacements? I assume not, as I know you can add games and so on not originally in 98 - are these the only exceptions?

Also, is the list on your site of files to replace (under '... And finally, here are the "goods":') still complete?

Many thanks,

Wrayal

Just incredible work as always MDGx :)

Though I did have a question - I've not yet performed a manual installation by myself but, would it be possible to use glaurung's native slipstreamer to add in the contents of 98SE2ME natively? That is, are all the files to install direct replacements? I assume not, as I know you can add games and so on not originally in 98 - are these the only exceptions?

Also, is the list on your site of files to replace (under '... And finally, here are the "goods":') still complete?

Many thanks,

Wrayal

Thanks for being so kind. ;)

I'm glad you found 98SE2ME useful.

I have not tested glaurung's slistreamer [yet], maybe I'll do that 1 sunny day, and if I do, I'll post results here.

The problem is that 98SE2ME is not based on M$'s "standard" iexpress installer, but a mixed collection of BAT + INF files, which runs 1 from within another, and also depends on rebooting 1's computer in order to complete the install of most options.

Therefore I have no idea how that might fit into glaurung's slipstreamer.

This list:

http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm#FME

is always [as often as I can keep up updating it] up to date.

Best wishes.

HTH

Glaurung's slipstreamer only works for files that already exist in the 98 install files, so, thinking perhaps naively, I figured out which ones could be replaced: I found 628 files could be replaced directly using the slipstreamer, but 197 couldn't (so it would seem you have over 800 new files in this package!). Would I be naive to attempt a direct replacement for the first 628, and use a modified version of the method suggested in the FAQ section of your read1st document for the remaining 197, i.e. add

[DefaultInstall]

RunPostSetupCommands=98SE2ME:1

[98SE2ME]

"X:\9!M\InstallExtras.BAT"

To my msbatch.inf, and in InstallExtras, manually copy in the extra required files?

It occurred to me I am getting a little ahead of myself - I need to slipstream in gape's SP and all the autopatcher files first I think but, do you think this is along the right lines?

Many thanks,

Wrayal

P.s. You probably already have them in the process of making 98SE2ME, but the attached files are the files that are/are not able to be replaced by glaurung's slipstreamer, in case anyone is interested

DOExistIn98.txt

DontExistin98.txt