98SE2ME = Killer Replacements: ME -> 98 SE

MDGX,

Could you please spell out the options available to someone who has installed 98SE2ME (with Option 2/the system files) and who wants to update GDI32.DLL and GDI.EXE to the latest available version (e.g., 4.90.3003, as found in the latest 918547 unofficial hotfix for ME)? Can these files be safely replaced by hand/DOS? I ask this in the light of the "EXTREMELY IMPORTANT" message in 918547.txt about the need for a reboot.

Also, am I right in thinking that to be protected from the vulnerabilities addressed by 891711, I must keep the temporary fix version (U891711, with the running KB891711 process) because there's no unofficial update for the ME versions of USER32.DLL and USER.EXE (which I have as a result of using Option 2 in 98SE2ME)?

TIA.

Dear MDGx:
I do appreciate your 98SE2ME a lot.
But the modded SYSDM.CPL 4.90.3001 included in it, besides saying "Microsoft Windows 98 Second
Edition", instead of "Microsoft Windows ME", suppresses the display of the version info to avoid the
old "4.90.3000 A" version mistake from appearing. But there it remains...
So I decided to try my hand at it and modded once again the SYSDM.CPL 4.90.3001, which I got from
ME280800.EXE, for it to say "Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition", but did not suppress the version
info display. All I accomplished up to this point was to get the "4.90.3000 A" version apearing once more...
But, it turns out that SYSDM.CPL gets its version info from inside USER.EXE (of which I use 4.90.3001,
of course!). In fact, the ASCII string "4.90.3000" can be found inside it exactly three times. The last one
is part of the version info resource, so I let that one alone and hexedited the other two to be "4.10.2222",
and, bingo!, now SYSDM.CPL shows the windows version correctly as "4.10.2222 A". I have been using
these two modded files on my system for over a fortnight now, and have detected no adverse effects
from the above described mods. So I feel confident they are safe. Hence I decided to post here about
my modded files, in case you, or any other member of the forum, find them interesting.
They can be downloaded here: Nu_Mod.zip
Keep on the great work!

... the modded SYSDM.CPL 4.90.3001 included in it, besides saying "Microsoft Windows 98 Second
Edition", instead of "Microsoft Windows ME", suppresses the display of the version info to avoid the
old "4.90.3000 A" version mistake from appearing. But there it remains...
So I decided to try my hand at it and modded once again the SYSDM.CPL 4.90.3001, which I got from
ME280800.EXE, for it to say "Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition", but did not suppress the version
info display. All I accomplished up to this point was to get the "4.90.3000 A" version apearing once more...
But, it turns out that SYSDM.CPL gets its version info from inside USER.EXE (of which I use 4.90.3001,
of course!). In fact, the ASCII string "4.90.3000" can be found inside it exactly three times. The last one
is part of the version info resource, so I let that one alone and hexedited the other two to be "4.10.2222",
and, bingo!, now SYSDM.CPL shows the windows version correctly as "4.10.2222 A". I have been using
these two modded files on my system for over a fortnight now, and have detected no adverse effects
from the above described mods. So I feel confident they are safe. Hence I decided to post here about
my modded files, in case you, or any other member of the forum, find them interesting.
They can be downloaded here: Nu_Mod.zip
Thanks a lot for your work.
I have added your modded files to 98SE2ME options 1 + 2.

This is how to install these modded files if one already installed 98SE2ME options 1 or 2 before [excerpt from UPDATES.TXT]:
MUST copy these files manually into %windir%\SYSTEM because they are NOT
replaced IF SAME builds already installed:
1. Exit to native/true/real/pure MS-DOS mode:
Start button -> Shut Down... -> Restart in MS-DOS mode -> OK button.
2. Run these commands or save them using Notepad as DOS Style BATch file and
then run it:
ATTRIB +A -H -R -S %winbootdir%\SYSTEM\SYSDM.CPL
ATTRIB +A -H -R -S %winbootdir%\SYSTEM\USER*.*
COPY/Y/Z %winbootdir%\SYSTEM\USER32.DLL %winbootdir%\SYSTEM\USER32.W98
COPY/Y/Z %winbootdir%\SYSTEM\USER.EXE %winbootdir%\SYSTEM\USER.W98
IF EXIST C:\9!M\SYSDM.CPL COPY/Y/Z C:\9!M\SYSDM.CPL %winbootdir%\SYSTEM
IF EXIST C:\9!M\USER*.* COPY/Y/Z C:\9!M\USER*.* %winbootdir%\SYSTEM
3. Type WIN and press Enter to (re)load Windows.

HTH

Hello, i wanted to know that whether this project adds some new features to MS Paint, like saving as Gif or Jpeg. Thanks for any replies.
Thanks for your feedback.

Those features require to install (1) fixed MS Paint executable and (2) MS Paint Graphic Filters package:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#PNT

and is beyond the scope of 98SE2ME, which is only a 98 SE to ME upgrade package.

98SE2ME options 1 + 2 install 2 MS Paint filters from WinME CABs/CD-ROM, the only ones included in the Graphic Filters package mentioned above:

MSJPEG32.DLL

MSPCX32.DLL

This is the list of all 98SE2ME installed files + and their locations:

http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm#FME

All other filters from the Graphic Filters package are from other packages/updates/(hot)fixes/SPs/etc.

Besides, WinME MSPAINT.EXE is buggy, must be replaced with the fixed executable mentioned above:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#PNT

HTH [Hope This Helps]

• 2 weeks later...

1.How many files exactly do 98SE2ME install?

2.Why isn't the patch Notepad that erpdude8 fixed added

don't get me wrong the pfe is cool but its for people like you

who is computer savvy with all those advance features i'm a basic

person.

3.Whats the purpose of option 6 if option 1,2 install the file anyway

and can get it here

http://www.mdgx.com/files/EXPLOR98.EXE

4.Files that are not replaced but re-named do they add registry keys if so

thats a problem registry will continue to get bigger for nothing

option 1 installs all files

option 2 installs all WinME files only

option 3 remain as is

option 4 really no purpose for it,if one wanted it option 1 will do the trick.

option 5 really no purpose for it,if one wanted it one will have they own preference

option 6 really no purpose for it

option 7 should be re-named to option 4

then option 5 could be a option to only install games or whatever

(not a bad idea)

5.When we choose the option to backup the system

is it possible to have the back up files compress to a M$ cab file

to keep space on the hard drive.Space is like money to me don't have alot of it.

6.wmi/wbem works on 98SE i have tested and witness no bugs

it also has an update ME260710.EXE which need to be applied

and there you go cleaner and smaller 98SE2ME without a hassle insight.

thanks for a darn good Win98SE systems

Edited by Hu$tle

well you need the other options because i only use option 2 because i dont want some of that extra stuff like pfe and me usb stuff. and by removing some of those options wouldnt really effect the size because its only like 3mb because it extracts the files from the winme cab files rather than including them.

well you need the other options because i only use option 2 because i dont want some of that extra stuff like pfe and me usb stuff. and by removing some of those options wouldnt really effect the size because its only like 3mb because it extracts the files from the winme cab files rather than including them.

option 2 install all the files except

logo,pfe

it also install the usb stuff so what are you talking about

i installed 98se2me and what i did was the copy all 600 system files and then it asked me if i wanted usb stuff and i said no.

what i meant was it is good to have multiple options so that you can have some of the smaller things without having everything, but 98se2me has probably changed since i last used it since i dont upgrade my install i only install 98se2me on a new installation

MDGX,

Could you please spell out the options available to someone who has installed 98SE2ME (with Option 2/the system files) and who wants to update GDI32.DLL and GDI.EXE to the latest available version (e.g., 4.90.3003, as found in the latest 918547 unofficial hotfix for ME)? Can these files be safely replaced by hand/DOS? I ask this in the light of the "EXTREMELY IMPORTANT" message in 918547.txt about the need for a reboot.

Also, am I right in thinking that to be protected from the vulnerabilities addressed by 891711, I must keep the temporary fix version (U891711, with the running KB891711 process) because there's no unofficial update for the ME versions of USER32.DLL and USER.EXE (which I have as a result of using Option 2 in 98SE2ME)?

TIA.

I have removed GDI*.* 4.90.3003 from 98SE2ME and reverted back to GDI*.* 4.90.3002 because of this problem [from UPDATES.TXT, the 8-22-2006 update]:
* Options 1 + 2: replaced newer WinME GDI32.DLL + GDI.EXE 4.90.3003 from

unofficial WinME Q918547 MS06-026 security fix with older GDI32.DLL + GDI.EXE

4.90.3002 from unofficial WinME Q912919 hotfix:

http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#MEU

to avoid power management errors. [thank you PROBLEMCHYLD]

But if you determine that those files [4.90.3003] work ok on your Win98 SE computer, please feel free to install them any way you want.

I have added those "extremely important" warnings because I was notified by soporific that some people try to install an update twice [i have no idea why], without rebooting after the 1st install. So with some updates [exe installers created with iexpress] that actually deletes the original files, effectively locking up the OS after reboot, because those updates rename the original system file(s) in order to back them up, but fail to install the new ones 2nd time over.

I've also added a reboot message that pops up at end of install, for same purpose.

You are right, there are no USER*.* files to protect you from the vulnerabilities addressed by 891711, if using WinME.

I am waiting to see if the anonymous author decides to fix those WinME files, that's why I haven't removed them yet from 98SE2ME.

HTH

1.How many files exactly do 98SE2ME install?

2.Why isn't the patch Notepad that erpdude8 fixed added

don't get me wrong the pfe is cool but its for people like you

who is computer savvy with all those advance features i'm a basic

person.

3.Whats the purpose of option 6 if option 1,2 install the file anyway

and can get it here

http://www.mdgx.com/files/EXPLOR98.EXE

4.Files that are not replaced but re-named do they add registry keys if so

thats a problem registry will continue to get bigger for nothing

option 1 installs all files

option 2 installs all WinME files only

option 3 remain as is

option 4 really no purpose for it,if one wanted it option 1 will do the trick.

option 5 really no purpose for it,if one wanted it one will have they own preference

option 6 really no purpose for it

option 7 should be re-named to option 4

then option 5 could be a option to only install games or whatever

(not a bad idea)

5.When we choose the option to backup the system

is it possible to have the back up files compress to a M$ cab file

to keep space on the hard drive.Space is like money to me don't have alot of it.

6.wmi/wbem works on 98SE i have tested and witness no bugs

it also has an update ME260710.EXE which need to be applied

and there you go cleaner and smaller 98SE2ME without a hassle insight.

thanks for a darn good Win98SE systems

1. All replaced files are listed here:

http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm#FME

as specified in READ1ST.TXT [under the "FAQ" section]:

http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/read1st.php

2. I am actually considering replacing PFE with fixed WinME Notepad [probably in the next update], and thus eliminate option 5 altogether.

3. Actually, now that erpdude8 sent me the newer explorer.exe 4.72.3612.1710 fix [from MS IE 4.01 SP2], the older one you mention just became obsolete, so I'll remove explorer.exe 4.72.3612.1700 completely from 98SE2ME in the next update, and thus eliminate option 6 altogether.

This way I kill 2 birds with the same stone [or shoot 2 rabbits with the same bullet, if you wish ;)], and avoid potential conflicts with option 3 [for people that install EXPLOR98.EXE], which installs [among other files] explorer.exe 5.50.4134.100 from WinME CABs.

4. Files from WinME that are renamed, like MSCONFIG.EXE renamed to MECONFIG.EXE, or MMSYS.CPL renamed to SOUNDS.CPL, or SIGVERIF.EXE renamed to SIGVRFME.EXE, do not add new/different/weird registry entries after being renamed, because registry entries are dictated by internal code, not be external file name.

I am actually considering creating a new option to install the WinME games separately.

I believe option 4 should be kept, some people don't want to install 98SE2ME, but want the logos [which also install as part of option 1], so it should be optional.

As I said above, I will delete options 5 + 6.

5. Good idea, I will add a backup option [in a future update] to zip up all backed up files into a single archive [zip or cab, easy to decompress with available tools provided by the OS].

6. I will probably add WMI/WBEM in a future update, I just need more testing.

HTH [Hope This Helps]

i installed 98se2me and what i did was the copy all 600 system files and then it asked me if i wanted usb stuff and i said no.

what i meant was it is good to have multiple options so that you can have some of the smaller things without having everything, but 98se2me has probably changed since i last used it since i dont upgrade my install i only install 98se2me on a new installation

About being asked to install or not USB files:

98SE2ME usually does not install newer WinME files if same versions of those files have been installed previously.

98SE2ME performs file-by-file version check using getver.exe .

HTH

Thanks for your replies and

and if you replace the the Notepad with WinME version can you keep the WinXP newer looking

icon also

I have made a list of the files you have removed

SYSTRAY.EXE

VCACHE.VXD

MPREXE.EXE

DEVMGR32.DLL

MPLAYER.EXE

SHIMGVW.DLL

NETAPI.DLL,

NETAPI32.DLL

NETDI.DLL

NETOS.DLL

MSVCIRT.DLL

DSKMAINT.DLL

FIOLOG.VXD

DRVSPACE.EXE

DRVSPACE.SYS

DRVSPACX.VXD

MFC42.DLL

some of these files should be added back like office files

MSWRD832.CNV

WRITE32.WPC

MSOWS409.DLL

because everybody don't have a copy of office products and everybody might

not install the unofficial service pack.

also with these files being removed i would like to asked if they can be re-tested

only because we have had so many newer updates/patches etc...

that might fixed the bugs these files were causing.

files like shell32.dll explorer.exe user32.dll all have been updated

so they might help in fixing bugs

also do these removed files work well with option 3 instead of option 1+2

alot of people don't used option 3 but i do.Will they be better suited there.

I really would like to see a final build thats why i'll give it all i got.

you have my support a 100%

Edited by Hu$tle

Thanks for your replies and

and if you replace the the Notepad with WinME version can you keep the WinXP newer looking

icon also

I have made a list of the files you have removed

some of these files should be added back like office files

MSWRD832.CNV

WRITE32.WPC

MSOWS409.DLL

because everybody don't have a copy of office products and everybody might

not install the unofficial service pack.

also with these files being removed i would like to asked if they can be re-tested

only because we have had so many newer updates/patches etc...

that might fixed the bugs these files were causing.

files like shell32.dll explorer.exe user32.dll all have been updated

so they might help in fixing bugs

also do these removed files work well with option 3 instead of option 1+2

alot of people don't used option 3 but i do.Will they be better suited there.

I really would like to see a final build thats why i'll give it all i got.

you have my support a 100%

Thanks for your feedback.

98SE2ME 7-18-2007 update installs fixed NOTEPAD.EXE 4.90.3001 [as part of options 1 + 2] which has the WinXP Notepad icon. Although...

MUST copy NOTEPAD.EXE 4.90.3001 manually from C:\9!M into %windir% because

it is NOT copied IF older NOTEPAD.EXE 4.10.199x or 4.90.3000 NOT present in

%windir% .

... as specified in UPDATES.TXT:

http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/updates.php

I have removed those files you mention not because they are part of [or suitable for] MS Office or whatever other packs/software, but because newer versions than the ones installed by 98SE2ME [from WinME CABs or from WinME updates/fixes] can be installed from other sources/packs/fixes/updates, and which I strongly recommend to install, because newer versions usually fix bugs/security flaws.

SHELL32.DLL, EXPLORER.EXE + USER*.* files have been updated, but only for Win98 SE [4.10.xxxx], not for WinME [4.90.3xxx].

98SE2ME installs only WinME files, among which are the files above.

Option 3 installs only the files that otherwise do not work properly if installed separately. They must be installed together or not at all.

HTH